Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Pantanal' cargo ship run aground off Rossaveal, Galway.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What was she carrying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Gingersnaps

It's amazing in this Technological age with all the navigation equipment available that this situation can occur. I'd love to know how it happened. Maybe engine failure or human error. ???? Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭WildWater

What was she carrying?

I heard on the radio this morning that she is there to take two of the Aran Island ferries away.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭conamara

The German-owned ship, with 14 crew on board, arrived yesterday and was due to pick up two small passenger ferries at Ros a mhil Harbour. - The ferries that were bought in Auction a few weeks ago from the Administrator. They were due to be shipped to somewhere on the African Coast - lucky none of them were lifted onto her yesterday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

It's amazing in this Technological age with all the navigation equipment available that this situation can occur. I'd love to know how it happened. Maybe engine failure or human error. ???? Just wondering.

It was a biy windy at the time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

tug has left killybegs a short time ago en route to Rossaveal....

http://marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?centerx=30&centery=25&zoom=2&level1=140

"sms bison"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Picture looks like it was taken in Strufane near Clynagh across the road from the rocky hill ;).

That must have been some wind!
    Were any of the yachts that are usually moored off the pier in Strufane (Céibh an tStrutháin) affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Picture looks like it was taken in Strufane near Clynagh across the road from the rocky hill ;).

Were any of the yachts that are usually moored off the pier in Strufane (Céibh an tStrutháin) affected?

It was VERY windy Wednesday night.

No Yachts moored as this time of year. Your right the pics were taken in Sruthain, some near across from the hill and some from the pier itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

conamara wrote: »
    No Yachts moored as this time of year.

Silly me. Of course not. I've been in Dublin too long.

Anyone know what's next for the boat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

The ship was issued a severe weather warning but ignored it and approached an area it shouldnt of. The eejits.

They had a great bargain on board, 2 boats bought at auction for approx. €1million that were worth about €5million in 2006. Heading for Mauritius now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

baldbear wrote: »
    Heading for Mauritius now.....

Not yet. She is still sheltering behind Black Head. She was there all day yesterday with a tug in attendance.

Latest in the saga to remove the two ferries - i think they have been cursed!!!

http://www.galwaynews.ie/18754-three-injured-ferry-lifting-operation-galway-docks

Advertisement