Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raid 1 config speed

• 31-03-2011 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Question - is the speed at which a raid 1 configuration writes to your HDD's based on the slowest drive?

I have a new Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB on the way and I also have an older Samsung 1TB. I'd like to setup a RAID 1 configuration as I have lost data in the past due to drive failure. It seem easy to do via the bios and i was wondering do you see any performance denigration?

I'll be using the F3 as my primary HDD but was just thinking I might be limited to how fast it writes (presume reading would not be affected?) if i have a slower HDD in a raid 1 config with the F3...

Any tips/advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

the slower drive will no doubt be the bottleneck, as raid essentially sync's your drives in whatever config you choose. its recommended to use identical or drives of similiar spec for any raid setup.

having said that.. in real world applications youll probably never notice.. the drives average read/write speed is typically more important than its burst rate.

Advertisement