Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ollie in Surgery - Nearly going mad with worry!

• 31-03-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

As some of you may know from an earlier thread, our beloved cat Ollie was hit by a car around Christmas time 2010. He suffered a fractured pelvis and had suspected nerve damage at the time. It was a very anxious wait to see if he would start urinating on his own again and after 7 days he did. It was just in the nick of time really becasue we were told if he didn't that euthenasia would be more than likely the outcome. After 9 days in the vets and much doubt as to whether he would survive we got him home.

He never really fully got back to proper urinating and over the past number of weeks we noticed it getting worse (a lot of straining with no results etc.) We had mentioned this several times to the vets. It got to a point by Tuesday 22nd March, that virtually no urine was being passed.

Anyway long story short he was admitted to our vets on Wednesday 23rd March where many tests were carried out over the next 4 days. He had completely stopped urinating or defecating at this stage. He also kept pulling out his catheter which didn't help. On Saturday we were told that they could do no more and our next option was euthenasia or referral to Gilabbey Veterinary surgery down in Cork. Our vet said she would call them to get their opinion and on Sunday did just that.

On hearing his symptoms they said they would be 'very keen' to take him on as a case. We were delighted about this but at the same time very guarded due to all that had happened to date.

We brought Ollie home on Sunday night. They said he would be fine for 24 hours with no urine elimination. And even though he was at times uncomfortable we had a really nice night with him. Thinking it could be our last there were lots of cuddles etc.

We brought him to Gilabbey first thing on Monday morning after a very restless nights sleep. He was admitted and we went through his case history with the very talented and highly regarded surgeon Shane Guerin. He was monitored and various tests done. Initially they were considering nerve damage as a cause but admitted that it was unusual given that he had been urinating voluntarily previous to this. But they were able to place a catheter and therefore had ruled out blockage as the cause. However, Ollie being Ollie yet again to everyones utter amazement managed to pull out his catheter, extra large buster collar and all. When they tried to place another catheter they were unable and this prompted them to do a contrast study (dye through the syste I think). This showed up what looked like a very unusual blockage. So to our (somewhat) relief they were now able to rule out nuerological damage as the cause. It did mean that they would have to perform surgery to figure out what the cause of the blockage is. This surgery is quite complicated and would involve cracking the pelvis. As with all surgeries there are massive risks. But for poor Ollie this is his only shot at survival. Yesterday we spent some time with him and were given a guarded but on the possitive side prognosis.
    Anyway, Ollie is undergoing this surgery as I speak. Shane Geurin rang me at 11.30am to say they would be starting in about 15 mins.
    Still no word and starting to freak out. No news is surely good news though... right?
    So sorry for the long post (just noticed how long just now) but I just needed to vent and where better than on a forum with like minded people.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

I can see how much you adore Ollie from your post. Im nearly in tears reading all his woes but Shane Guerin does have a great reputation and thats not easily earned in the vetinery world. Please let us know when you can how it went

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Aww God love you, I know that feeling. Time seems to stop still. I've also been on the other side of it though (was a Veterinary Nurse for a few years) which actually made me worse when it came to my own dog! Everyone thought I'd be more reassured knowing what goes on but I was more of a mess. Let us know when you get news. I'm sure Ollie will be fine and they'll do a great job. Poor fella, he's been through the mill but he's lucky to have such a great owner, if you weren't worried there'd be something wrong :) Fingers crossed for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

Thanks Dixie Chick and Clare Bear. He is absolutely adored. I will never forget the day he got injured, the way he clung to my OH when we found him, nearly broke our hearts. He has really been through the ringer but has just amazed everyone with his character and resilience. Christmas 2010 was just horrendous and we really thought we had Ollie back for good. We were constantly saying how lucky we were.
    On Saturday I cried all day and night. I think we were essentially grieving.

Ok.. just as I was writing that Shane rang me. Ollie is out of surgery and is coming around from the anesthetic. The surgery was extremely complicated and Shane had to perform a Urethrostomy, something that was discussed as a possibility. Basically they remove the penis and create a new hole for a new urethra. So some relief, but again very guarded. Because of the nature of the surgery many complications can occur such as nerve damage etc. So essentially it's a wait and see game to determine if this has worked. I can't stop thinking about poor Ollie. I really hope this works and we have made the right decision to persue it. What if we've put him through all this for nothing. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

JKM wrote: »
    Thanks Dixie Chick and Clare Bear. He is absolutely adored. I will never forget the day he got injured, the way he clung to my OH when we found him, nearly broke our hearts. He has really been through the ringer but has just amazed everyone with his character and resilience. Christmas 2010 was just horrendous and we really thought we had Ollie back for good. We were constantly saying how lucky we were.
    On Saturday I cried all day and night. I think we were essentially grieving.

Ok.. just as I was writing that Shane rang me. Ollie is out of surgery and is coming around from the anesthetic. The surgery was extremely complicated and Shane had to perform a Urethrostomy, something that was discussed as a possibility. Basically they remove the penis and create a new hole for a new urethra. So some relief, but again very guarded. Because of the nature of the surgery many complications can occur such as nerve damage etc. So essentially it's a wait and see game to determine if this has worked. I can't stop thinking about poor Ollie. I really hope this works and we have made the right decision to persue it. What if we've put him through all this for nothing. :(

You've put him through it because you want what's best for him. If it isn't successful you still did right by him. I hope it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

Clare Bear wrote: »
    You've put him through it because you want what's best for him. If it isn't successful you still did right by him. I hope it all works out.

+1, hope ollie be ok, he's in the best hands with shane, he's my hero..he did a great job on my dogs hip :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Watch this . Same op as your cat.
    http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?locID=1.65.473

Was on last night on animal A & E

Thanks so much teacherspet. I'm just loading it up now (internet is gone slow!). That's why I love posting on this forum, everyone is so helpful. Thank you all.

I'm afraid it's still going to be a nervous night though. Hopefully tomorrow will bring good news.

Tazwaz, you're so right, he's unreal. If it wasn't for him Ollie wouldn't have even had a chance.

We just watched that video now. Thanks again teacherspet. What a coincidence, i hadn't a clue such a surgery existed until a few days ago. I kind of wish I had seen it last night, but I was avoiding all animal rescue shows because I was to upset.

It has definately encouraged us a bit. Only difference with Ollie is that they also had to split his pelvis and reset it because they were concerned that it had narrowed to much during healing. Also, because they weren't sure what was causing the blockage the initial part of surgery was somewhat exploratory. I really hope he has the same recovery as Oscar, granted he'll have a load of cage rest to heal his pelvis again. Here's hoping we get to that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

JKM I saw two cats while I worked as a Vet's Assistant (for a summer in Canada) that had had that surgery after car accidents, both were fine for the most part, just more check ups and extra care when they were in for anything else.

My first cat was hit by a car, but we didn't find him in time to save him, as my mom was driving into the estate at lunch she saw our cat Pepsi dead at the side of the road :( At least no matter what happens you'll know that ye did everything ye could to help him, from the moment he got injured all the way through this tough time.

Hope Ollie is ok xx

Thanks Spadina. I guess we have in our minds that there's a very fine line between doing everthing we can for Ollie and going further and doing it because we want to. We just can't bear the thought of him suffering. He is a very tolerant cat though... all the staff in our local vets and in Gilabbey have commented on how beautiful and sweet he is. No need to tell us that.. we know!:)

We always feel a little guilty saying it but Ollie was our first and quite firmly our favourite. I swear, all he is short of is talking to us. He has so much personality.

I know it sounds a bit stupid but he really added so much to our lives from the moment we brought him home. My OH was a bit uncertain at the time but I had cats all my life and felt we could give one a good home. On the drive home Ollie vomited and pooed in the pet carrier! My OH was determined he wasn't sleeping in the house and wouldn't be an indoor cat. Reluctantly I put him in an outhouse across the yard and brought out a basin of warm water to clean him. My heart was breaking for him.. he'd just been wrenched from his family, then soiled himself, then was going to have to spend the night alone!! That obviously couldn't happen, so I bundled him in a towel and put my foot down, he was coming inside. By night two he had completely melted my OH's heart and was spending the night in our bed! Sad I know, but he really is our pride and joy.

Of course we have 4 more pride and joys by now, but he's still our fav.

Sorry again for the stupid post, but it makes me smile to think of him back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP I hope Ollie feels better soon! Shane operated on my dogs leg in Nov and he's doing great now. At first I had doubts about putting him thru the surgery beacuse webhad been to ucd first and they weren't keem on doing it but i'm really glad i got the referral. Crate rest is tough but it is doable and once the first week is done you'll find the rest fly by. Once they get into a routine it gets easier.

Thanks tk123. Just to update; I rand this morning to see how he got on overnight. Great news.. Ollie urinated voluntarily last night through his new urethra. We're thrilled as this was the next big hurdle. Of course there is still a lot of things that can go wrong and if he gets over the next few days, we have a long recovery period. So we're still being slightly reserved with the celebrations (don't want to jinx anything!) but so far so good. :)

Thank you all for your kind words.

Hi guys,

Just thought i would update you on Ollies progress. We got a call yesterday morning from Shane in Gilabbey letting us know that they were ready to send Ollie home. Needless to say we were over the moon. However, this news came with a warning; 'we're not out of the woods yet'. They felt that what they were doing for him day to day, we could do. And he might be more comfortable at home. He has some swelling around his wounds (fairly normal but not ideal) and even though he is voluntarily urinating he is still straining over the litter tray with nothing happening. So yet again it is a wait and see situation. Ollie definately likes to keep us guessing!

Shane gave us a very detailed run down of Ollie's case to date. I won't go into detail but he told us that this is the first time he has ever seen a case like Ollie's. He will be speaking at a conference in Finland next month and will be featuring this case. To add a very weird twist to the tale it seems that Ollie may have a bit of a catheter somewhere inside him. A result of his many successful atempts at removing his own catheters!! This doesn't seem to be causing him any trouble at the minute though so we're leaving well enough alone.

I have to say they are absolute stars down in Gilabbey. I couldn't sing their praises highly enough. They brought Ollie out into the treatment area every day (from the cat wing) so he could be around people. He is very definately a people cat! Every vet and nurse we met down there commented on what a special cat he his!

Anyway, long story short, he is currently sleeping very comfortably on my OH's lap. He spends most of his day in his cage (same one we had from initial accident) with a buster collar on to stop him licking his surgical wounds. We give him a break from the collar a few times a day but have to watch him like a hawk to make sure he doesn't get at his stitches. He also still has a foley catheter in which is probably not the most comfortable but Shane wanted to leave in for a while as a fail safe.

We have an apointment on Monday to review so we'll see what happens then. We're just so happy to have him back now. Fingers crossed it's for good. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah thats great news!! I found them brilliant as well and I'm more confident about next time because I know I have their support and the support of our brilliant vet. It's scary and a relief at the same time to have them back isn't it? :D

Thats so true tk123. A woman I work with had an emergency with her dog a few weeks ago, he had to undergo emergency surgery, but pulled through. He's 14 and very much adored. She asked me on Wednesday if I was nervous to be getting him home, she said she was terrified when they got their guy home. I said no, at that stage I was just happy and excited. But as I pulled up to the vets the nerves hit me big time!!

I suppose we are just afraid that we will do something wrong that will set him back. It took a few days to get used to picking him up with the tubes from the foley cathether hanging down. Also, i'm worried about administering all his medication ok! But on the other hand it is so good to look over and see him asleep on his favourite bed, it makes me smile every time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Hope Ollie recovers the way cats tend to do, fast and well :).
    Just having him back home must be a great relief, hopefully he gets a bit better every day and your greatest worry is stopping him from removing his stitches :P

To be honest i'm wondering at this stage if I shouldn't have just done a qualification in veterinary nursing or something. At the moment I have Ollie requiring a lot of care, five other cats needing feeding/grooming/playing etc not to mind litter tray 4/5 times a day, we're boarding a heavily pregnant stray cat in our spare room, I just brought our border collie Cassie in for spaying this morning and we have very recently taken in my sisters dog Echo (as she emigrated to Australia) who has a vets visit this evening. Hence lots of walks/feeding/playing etc etc. God I even feel tired just writing all that out!! :rolleyes:

Advertisement