Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best broadband in Glenealy?

• 31-03-2011 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'm probably moving to Glenealy in the summer and am interested to know what experiences others have had with broadband providers there. Interested in

- how far you are from the exchange (beside the church on the road to wicklow, just beyond the old school house and the sign with "Wicklow 8km")

- how fast your connection is

- if you use Eircom or another provider

- cost

- satisfaction

- if you use wireless broadband instead/as well (cost? quality?)

Anything else I should know? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gimli1986

Hey. I might be moving here soon did you ever find out any info about broadband in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭PJtharsaile

I'm probably moving to Glenealy in the summer and am interested to know what experiences others have had with broadband providers there. Interested in

- how far you are from the exchange (beside the church on the road to wicklow, just beyond the old school house and the sign with "Wicklow 8km")

- how fast your connection is

- if you use Eircom or another provider

- cost

- satisfaction
    A
    - if you use wireless broadband instead/as well (cost? quality?)

Anything else I should know? Thanks!

Hi. I live about 4.5km from the exchange. I switched from 3's 3G service to Eircom DSL a while back - - slower but more reliable. Sorry, I can't recall cost offhand (working abroad). Upload speed is poor (420k or less). Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Is fibre not in Glenealy yet? It has recently came in in Rathnew/Wicklow Town

Yes, I believe there is fibre in Glenealy--to the exchange. This makes little difference to anyone living a few kilometres away stuck with a poor DSL connection.

I didn't comment earlier on wireless providers.

Currently I use Eircom. Previously I used Three's 3G network. This burst up to 7Mbps on occasion but was hopelessly unreliable with constant outages. The company's network monitoring seemed to be very poor and the customer service was truly shockingly bad (every customer support call began with someone in India claiming to be calling "from Three's executive office"). It took me months of persistence to get money they owed me out of them--and that happened only thanks to an Irish employee. Not recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I am also considering moving to Glenealy (currently on efiber in rathnew). The eircom wholesale site implies the Glenealy cabs will be live July-Sept 2015. If other installs are anything to go by it'll be end of 2015 at best. Is the exchange currently ADSL2+ or only 8Mb?

• Advertisement

Only 8Mb?!! The chance would be a fine thing.

I get about 4Mb at best and as little as 420k up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

How far from the exchange are you?

About 4+km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Do you only log in once year? :D

Aye, today's the day. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement