Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Germany

Options
  • 31-03-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭

So I'm actually taking the big leap and moving to Germany permanently this July. I have enough money saved and I've completed a TEFL course. I worked there last summer so I have references in the city I'm moving to (Essen), I also know a few people there so finding a place to crash won't be too much of a problem.

It's pretty much just the flights I need to get sorted but, apart from those things, is there anything else I'm missing? I know about having to register, but I'm still a bit sketchy on the issues of health insurance etc. If anyone has any information I'd like to hear it, I want to make sure I'm fully prepared to get off this damn rock!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

OneArt wrote: »
    So I'm actually taking the big leap and moving to Germany permanently this July. I have enough money saved and I've completed a TEFL course. I worked there last summer so I have references in the city I'm moving to (Essen), I also know a few people there so finding a place to crash won't be too much of a problem.

It's pretty much just the flights I need to get sorted but, apart from those things, is there anything else I'm missing? I know about having to register, but I'm still a bit sketchy on the issues of health insurance etc. If anyone has any information I'd like to hear it, I want to make sure I'm fully prepared to get off this damn rock!

Thanks!

Get a EHIC Card to cover you for the first few weeks your in Germany. Just in case.

Register with a Doctor, you can't just go to one like Ireland.

You know about registering

Try and get a Tax card sorted as soon as you can otherwise you'll be on tax class 6 (52%)

Do NOT write down on the tax card that you are Roman Catholic ... theres a Church tax in Germany ... took me AGES to get out of the damn thing.

Good luck !!

P.S. Some links
    www.expatica.con
    and
    www.toytowngermany.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

and you'll also need a bank account to receive your wage & pay your medical/ rent from

most banks are much of a muchness with what they offer. If you stick to one of the main commercial banks, Deutsche/ Commerz/ Postbank/ Hypovereinsbank then you have great coverage of bank machines in the cities (those group of banks are in an alliance called "cash group" so as a customer of one, you can use the other for free).

In country towns the sparkasse and Raifisien banks are almost all you have, but then in the cities they arent as widespread as the commercial banks.

Using someone elses bank machine can cost you. The most I got charged was 7 or 8 euros using a 3rd party bank but now at least theres a law that the price must be displayed. Then I just found out when i saw my statement!

Regarding medical insurance, Techniker Krankasse are one of the biggest in the country and have an office by the main station in essen . I'm with them this 11 years now and not a bother. If you pop into them after getting registered at the city council, they'll sort you out.
    http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Techniker+Krankenkasse%2FTK,+Essen&aq=0&sll=51.4543,7.01679&sspn=0.01047,0.027874&gl=de&ie=UTF8&hq=Techniker+Krankenkasse%2FTK,&hnear=Essen,+North+Rhine-Westphalia&ll=51.454034,7.009106&spn=0.010135,0.027874&t=h&z=16.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ehcor

Join www.toytowngermany.de, it's a forum for english speaking people in Germany, lots of information there.

As for doctors, I'm not sure that's correct about having to register. I've changed my doctors a few times over the years with no problem.

Good luck to you, I've been here for 30 years, teaching business English for the past 12 and still love it. It can take a bit of time to get over the homesickness, but that's the same wherever you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Regarding medical insurance, Techniker Krankasse are one of the biggest in the country and have an office by the main station in essen . I'm with them this 11 years now and not a bother.

+1 for the Techniker Krankenkasse

and you'll also need a bank account to receive your wage & pay your medical/ rent from

most banks are much of a muchness with what they offer. If you stick to one of the main commercial banks, Deutsche/ Commerz/ Postbank/ Hypovereinsbank then you have great coverage of bank machines in the cities (those group of banks are in an alliance called "cash group" so as a customer of one, you can use the other for free).

In country towns the sparkasse and Raifisien banks are almost all you have, but then in the cities they arent as widespread as the commercial banks.

Using someone elses bank machine can cost you. The most I got charged was 7 or 8 euros using a 3rd party bank but now at least theres a law that the price must be displayed. Then I just found out when i saw my statement!

Regarding medical insurance, Techniker Krankasse are one of the biggest in the country and have an office by the main station in essen . I'm with them this 11 years now and not a bother. If you pop into them after getting registered at the city council, they'll sort you out.
    http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Techniker+Krankenkasse%2FTK,+Essen&aq=0&sll=51.4543,7.01679&sspn=0.01047,0.027874&gl=de&ie=UTF8&hq=Techniker+Krankenkasse%2FTK,&hnear=Essen,+North+Rhine-Westphalia&ll=51.454034,7.009106&spn=0.010135,0.027874&t=h&z=16.

That charge the banks have is a total gyp.

I pay a flat fee of 12 euros per quarter with my Dutch Bank and don't pay any additional fees when abroad .. even when in Germany :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You don't need to register with a doctor here. You can go to any doctor you want, and once you have health insurance you pay 10€ once off in any quarter where you visit the doctor. If you want to visit a second different doctor in the same quarter you need to get an überweisung from the first dr. to show that you have paid the 10€.

As for banks, it is best to walk in and talk with them. You will need proof of residency, most likely a job contract and rental contract. All the banks will perform a credit check (using Shufa) which might be a problem if you have no credit history. Even if most of the major banks refuse you an account (and they rarely ever say why), the Sparkasse have to give you one.

jester77 wrote: »
    You don't need to register with a doctor here. You can go to any doctor you want, and once you have health insurance you pay 10€ once off in any quarter where you visit the doctor. If you want to visit a second different doctor in the same quarter you need to get an überweisung from the first dr. to show that you have paid the 10€.

As for banks, it is best to walk in and talk with them. You will need proof of residency, most likely a job contract and rental contract. All the banks will perform a credit check (using Shufa) which might be a problem if you have no credit history. Even if most of the major banks refuse you an account (and they rarely ever say why), the Sparkasse have to give you one.

You also need the registration letter saying you have registered with the Landhauptstadt to show you are actually resident as this also can affect the type of account you have based on your status, i.e. Living in Holland working in Germany you would have a non resident account.

Advertisement