Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 Dublin Gig-Lenses

• 31-03-2011 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Anyone shoot gigs at the O2 in Dublin before, I have a pass for McFly ,have heard that once you pick which side of the stage you want to set up ,you cant switch over ,and no camera bags allowed,have a 24-70,70-200 and a nifty fifty ,which one if not all would anyone recommend thx

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Give Paddy a shout - he's done plenty there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭b318isp

How fast is the 70-200? If 2.8, I'd bring that with a monopod. If f4, I'd probably consider the 24-70. Stick the nifty fifty in your pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

depends what you want to capture, what the band does and your shooting style. I've used a 16-35mm in there to shoot coldplay and i've used a 400 to shoot beyonce

if you want the focal lens that the majority will use, its the 70-200

each artist has different rules about where you can stand but i've never heard of no-bags rule in over 1 years of shooting concerts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

like what Dot Org says .... rules change for pretty much every gig (management companies...go figure !!)

Anyways .... McFly generally use straight forward lighting (not too much strobes) and are usually lit from the front which means they will be easily exposed properly.

Depending on where you are shooting from (Pit, 2nd Pit or Sound Desk) .... and the movement on stage will determine the lenses....they like to jump in the air with their guitars in their hands .... lifting their legs ...makes for a good pic.

A 70-200mm should cover it most of the time - but there will be occasions when one of them will run across the stage to the far side (or might come from across the stage to right in front of you) ..... I wouldn't go chasing them if they go running across the stage ... unless you really think something major is gonna happen.

Most gigs you are in the pit - right in front of them .... depending on stage height you can use any lens you want .... and can move around to get a different angle/view .... usually you are not limited while in the pit - but if they are recording for a video or something like that there may be big ass tv cameras getting in your way.

Enjoy the gig !!

ps... sometimes it makes a decent pic when you take a whole stage shot of the band with the "McFly" in the background in lights. .... it'll probably be the only way to get all band members in one pic.

As for the bag thing ..... I did have a gig at the O2 recently where we were not allowed ... can't for the life of me remember who it was .... but that generally means you just put the bag down at the side and pick it up on your way out .... I've rarely come across the bag thing....very rarely ..... maybe 5 times in about 10years.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Thanks for all the replies, not sure where I will be set up Paddy ,will go with all lenses and see what happens,first time at the venue so should be an experience

• Advertisement
Advertisement