Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is "A biker".?

• 31-03-2011 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

On another thread here someone commented that theres as many "commuters" as bikers.Just said i'd throw this out there to see what ye're views are as to what "a biker" actually is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

On another thread here someone commented that theres as many "commuters" as bikers.Just said i'd throw this out there to see what ye're views are as to what "a biker" actually is.

A person that actually enjoys riding, and doesnt just do it to get to work etc. quickly would be my answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I can see this gettin ugly...........:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Sids Not wrote: »
    I can see this gettin ugly...........:o

If it does, I will get out the ban stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

I remember hearing somewhere that to be a 'real biker' you have to be able to do all your own maintenance. I hope thats not true, coz I cant do squat! Eager to learn though....

I would like to completely dis-associate myself from the last description...:P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biker

I think in fairness, the first description is probably the most acceptable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I suppose if you own a bike and drive it, be it everyday or occasionally then your a biker.

Some will say it must be your one and only means of transport and you do a far few km a year. I'd say then your a hardcore biker!

Others only bring it out in the good weather for those precious "dry miles" driving. But for me I believe it's the first thing I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

A person that actually enjoys riding, and doesnt just do it to get to work etc. quickly would be my answer.

I'd agree with this.
    But if someone said I wasn't a biker for whatever reason, I couldn't give a rats ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i'm a biker

i didn't write this but i love it and live it

I ride because it is fun.

I ride because I enjoy the freedom I feel from being exposed to the elements, and the vulnerability to the danger that is intrinsic to riding.

I do not ride because it is fashionable to do so.

I ride my machine, not wear it. My machine is not a symbol of status. It exists simply for me, and me alone.

My machine is not a toy. It is an extension of my being, and I will treat it accordingly, with the same respect as I have for myself.

I strive to understand the inner-workings of my machine, from the most basic to the most complex.

I will learn everything I can about my machine, so that I am reliant upon no one but myself for its health and well being.

I strive to constantly better my skill of control over my machine. I will learn its limits, and use my skill to become one with my machine so that we may keep each other alive. I am the master, it is the servant. Working together in harmony, we will become an invincible team.

I do not fear death. I will, however, do all possible to avoid death prematurely. Fear is the enemy, not death. Fear on the road leads to death, therefore I will not let fear be my master. I will master it.

My machines will outlive me. Therefore, they are my legacy. I will care for them for future bikers to cherish as I have cherished them, whoever they may be.

I do not ride to gain attention, respect, or fear from those that do NOT ride, nor do I wish to intimidate or annoy them. For those that do not know me, all I wish from them is to ignore me. For those that desire to know me, I will share with them the truth of myself, so that they might understand me and not fear others like me.

I will never be the aggressor on the road. However, should others mess with me, their aggression will be dealt with in as severe manner as I can cast upon them.

I will show respect to other bikers more experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will learn from them all I can. However, if my respect is not acknowledged or appreciated, it will end.

I will not show disrespect to other bikers less experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will teach them what I can. However, if they show me disrespect, they will be slapped.

It will be my task to mentor new riders, that so desire, into the lifestyle of the biker, so that the breed shall continue. I shall instruct them, as I have been instructed by those before me. I shall preserve and honor traditions of bikers before me, and I will pass them on unaltered.

I will not judge other bikers on their choice of machine, their appearance, or their profession. I will judge them only on their conduct as bikers. I am proud of my accomplishments as a biker, though I will not flaunt them to others. If they ask, I will share them.

I will stand ready to help any other biker that truly needs my help.

I will never ask another biker to do for me what I can do for myself.

I am not a part-time biker. I am a biker when, and where ever I go. I am proud to be a biker, and hide my chosen lifestyle from no one. I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me. But most of all, I ride to better understand myself, my machine, the lands in which I ride, and to seek out and know other bikers like myself.

I have no issues with people that use bikes without wanting to be bikers

If you think yer a biker than in my opinion you are a biker

If you don't then yer not

Ride bikes long enough and you will want to be the best rider you can be

There is nothing better than getting yer bike perfect better tajn it left the factory and set up for how you like to ride where you like to ride. That's why I ride old bikes that I keep looking And feeling brand new

Oh one last thing a biker fuCking nods or waves or kicks back. Even dispatchers of which I was one ( long long ago in a galaxy far far away)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Someone who rides a motorbike.

IMO..a biker who disrespects another biker for his choice of bike/gear/lifestyle..is'nt a biker..;)

You're a biker if you've stopped when you've seen a motorcyclist at the side of a road to see if he needs any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

You're a biker when you couldn't conceive life without your bike.

Cagers will never know what its like, to most of them its just a way to a means and nothing else.

A bike to a biker is one of the most important things in the world. Everything else is secondary.

ogri.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

KTRIC wrote: »
    You're a biker when you couldn't conceive life without your bike.

Cagers will never know what its like, to most of them its just a way to a means and nothing else.

A bike to a biker is one of the most important things in the world. Everything else is secondary.

Hardcore :p

I'm definitely not a biker then!

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I'm definitely not a biker then!

Some of you would have probably guessed I had a skin full when I wrote that :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Sids Not wrote: »
    IMO..a biker who disrespects another biker for his choice of bike/gear/lifestyle..is'nt a biker..;)

Unless it's a Harley :pac:

KamiKazi wrote: »

Have you seen the episode of southpark? Harley riders are fags*

*it's explained in the episode, don't ban me mods!

• Advertisement

KamiKazi wrote: »

Here we go again...........:rolleyes::)

I think gay fags, if I recall correctly.

No, just fags. They said they had no problem with gays, but harley riders were fags. They had "fags out" written all over the town!

No, just fags. They said they had no problem with gays, but harley riders were fags. They had "fags out" written all over the town!

Ahhh, so it was an anti smoking protest then.............:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

jeez a tad rich coming from a former nightrod owner :p

Nodster wrote: »
    jeez a tad rich coming from a former nightrod owner :p

LOL, nightrod ??? sounds like a sex toy.

I had an XR1200X, well I say had in the loosest terms. It was in my garage for a month and then in HD for the other two. I'd rather not be reminded of that fit of stupidity again thanks very much. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

I had an XR1200X, well I say had in the loosest terms. It was in my garage for a month and then in HD for the other two. I'd rather not be reminded of that fit of stupidity again thanks very much. ;)
    Aww Jey-sus, I thought everyone knew HD's rule.......:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

A biker is someone who doesn't let their missus command them to sell their bike when she's preggers!

Just get life assurance instead!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I love the smell of petrol...am I a biker ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Doom wrote: »
    I love the smell of petrol... I'm a biker ;)

Me too, but I'm a petrosexual.

'cptr

Advertisement