Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LASER

• 31-03-2011 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

I have a few questions to players who use the laser to airsoft. How it works during the sunny weather, and what color would you recomend ?.
    I would use a laser instead of the red-dot.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Red, only red, anything else is illegal. Do us all a favour though, don't be a tw*t and shine it in people's eyes, it's really rather frowned upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭mafo

Illegal ?
    Even if it has the same parameters (power, wavelength) as red?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Different colours will have a different wave lenght.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr X15

5mw or less, and the only colour which is in the specific wavelength is red ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

And to answer the other question, they're crap during sunny weather, and at night they give your position away fairly sharpish. Pretty good indoors though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Please read the Charter.
    Only lasers that meet the following criteria are legal in Ireland:

- lasers of less than 5 milli Watts
    - in the light frequencies of 630 to 680nm

Which means that all Blue and Green lasers (which are outside of light frequencies of 630 to 680nm) are illegal and should not be discussed here.

The only colour allowed is red. That's the law. There are several prior threads on this subject.

Feel free to give your position away though, everyone else can shoot you quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Don't bother, they're useless unless you're indoors, and then they're a novelty which gives your position away....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

They are handy to have. Indoors they will help with snap aiming and for getting people to keep their heads down.

They are no more useless than a red dot sight or anything else used in the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Pretty useless at anything but 10-20m, beyond that you'll seriously struggle to see the laser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

Arkslippy wrote: »

They are no more useless than a red dot sight or anything else used in the game

A red dot sight won't give your position away,

They are a bit handy in the dark for fast aiming, assuming they're aligned and not aiming way off, they're dead weight during the day and have a tendancy to work like tracers, ie: they point both ways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I did see a guy use one in the wooded section of Hellfire Bray. He designated targets for other olayers around him. It was a surprisingly efective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

A US army study (iirc) showed that the time taken to find the laser dot made it slower than using snap aiming or other types of aiming systems.

There is a reason lasers are big in 80's films and not after, they became obsolete quickly with 1x mag red dot systems doing the same thing but with a brighter dot and no visible light on your weapon to give you away.

IR lasers which are only visible to the forces that have the equipment to use them are still popular, and is a function of peq boxes for designation and aiming, the whole beam being far more visible than a normal red or green laser.

A laser is cool for a while, and even useful I'm sure in some situations, but a red-dot or decent snap aiming skill is better in more cases and often quicker. You can buy the lasers on say deal extreme for very cheap, and you might as well to see what they are like, but I found the 5mw reds which are legal useless. In fairness I cant even stand optical sights but in airsoft a good instinct for point of aim and a peripheral sight picture are better for aiming and hitting your targets before they hit you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

One of the primary reasons for weapon mounted IR lasers being in widespread use is down to simply not being able to aim down iron sights or magnified scopes with most NVG's. Some reflex/holo sights allow it, but not all.
    They're also useful for designation at night, where target acquisition is difficult when relaying sightings among squads (basically "watch my tracer" without actually firing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭mafo

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Advertisement