Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many higher level subjects are you doing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

8 Higher, and then LCVP.
    English, Irish, Maths, French, DCG, Construction Studies, Biology, Music.
    Hoping to do teaching in Materials Tech and Architechture in UL.

To be honest I wish I hadn't kept the Maths on Higher Level. It's really killing me and it's damn difficult, but at the same time I'd be worried about dropping to Ordinary because some of the stuff on the paper is different to what we've done, i.e Simpson's Rule and delta and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Holly91

I know ya I love music so maybe that. And I also like human biology so maybe something sciency. But I've a whole year to decide :)

ahh the joys of 5th year....wish i could go back and i wud have coped on and did some work last yr :p

Cydoniac wrote: »
    8 Higher, and then LCVP.
    English, Irish, Maths, French, DCG, Construction Studies, Biology, Music.
    Hoping to do teaching in Materials Tech and Architechture in UL.

To be honest I wish I hadn't kept the Maths on Higher Level. It's really killing me and it's damn difficult, but at the same time I'd be worried about dropping to Ordinary because some of the stuff on the paper is different to what we've done, i.e Simpson's Rule and delta and that.

delta??
    i dropped to pass month or two ago and yh there are a few different things on the course....and the teacher in pass didnt bother going over it with me...but i just spent about hlf hour a wk doing exam papers to try and see if could do it...and tbh its grand i turned round and got an A in the mock like.....im not goin to encourage yh to drop down....but if your really struggling like dont worry about pass having dif topics...there grand once yh go over like :)

Yeah, the triangle thing beside x, never got that in HL, threw me off.
    Well, I dunno if I'll be even allowed now. There are like 3 left and one wants to drop down by Monday. We started off with 16-17, it's crazy. Nobody passed Christmas or the mocks except for me, and I only scraped a pass.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Yeah, the triangle thing beside x, never got that in HL, threw me off.
    Well, I dunno if I'll be even allowed now. There are like 3 left and one wants to drop down by Monday. We started off with 16-17, it's crazy. Nobody passed Christmas or the mocks except for me, and I only scraped a pass.

oh is that to do with difrenciation?(however you spell it) first priciples...thats the only time i can think you use it :/ only other place i use delta would be in chem:p i could be wrong :)
    thats crazy sure in our class the was 25 now theres only 5 of them!
    oh but sure if you passed you must be ok? i know its probably not what you want especially with if you fail maths and repeating....but if you think you can pass keep it up but if your really worried then drop....they cant stop you from dropping its your own choice like...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

This is not 4chan or jumpedupgit.com

Abusing other posters, derogatory comments about what subjects / levels people do, none of these are welcome here.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

I really wouldn't worry about dropping to pass maths. I only did 5th year honours maths and then sat pass maths on the day and got an A2 first time round, A1 second time. All I did was read through a revision book a couple of times a week a few months before the lc. Not advising that anyone do that of course but the whole thing about pass being completely different is rubbish. I only went to one pass maths class ever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

In 5th year doing 6 Higher
    • English
    • Geography
    • French
    • Music
    • Economics
    • Business
    I also do OL Irish and Maths and LCVP. Hoping to go into something in Psychology or maybe Teaching! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ciarashauna

I do 6 higher:
    • English
    • Maths
    • Geography
    • Religion
    • Business
    • Accounting
    I'm exempt from Irish, so don't have a seventh subject.
    I want to do Accounting when I'm finished school.

Just make sure the college you get into doesn't need a European language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ciarashauna

No it doesn't, thankfully. Have applied to DCU, DIT and DKIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

All 7 higher- Maths, English, Irish, French, History, Accounting, Physics.

Not totally sure what I want to do- either Accounting, Law & Accounting or English & History.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

6 higher- English, French, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Biology

Ordinary Irish. Anyone good at higher level Irish is my hero! Heck, anyone good at ordinary is my hero. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

6 higher- English, French, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Biology

Ordinary Irish. Anyone good at higher level Irish is my hero! Heck, anyone good at ordinary is my hero. :D

Double Biology, i'd love that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

NotExactly wrote: »
    Double Biology, i'd love that :D

Whoops. :o

That's so odd. I could have sworn I wrote Geography. Guess not. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

Did 6 at the start of fith year. Then dropped to pass irish. Kept that way for the leaving. Then i repeated, didn't need maths so didn't do it again, had everything honours except irish and it worked out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

6 honours - Biology, Chemistry, Economics, French, Irish and English :)

1 pass - Maths :P Tá sé... stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 He looks like that fella Harvey Keitel

6 - English, Irish, Business, History, Geography and French

Unless you need it for your course or you're an A student, I really don't see the point in doing honours maths. You're losing the guts of two hours every night with the homework like. Even if you drift off early, there's over 150 school days in 6th year, so you're looking at about 300 hours of Maths and that's not even including 5th year :eek:
    In pass you'd usually get half an hour max. Just makes more sense imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Unless you need it for your course or you're an A student, I really don't see the point in doing honours maths. You're losing the guts of two hours every night with the homework like. Even if you drift off early, there's over 150 school days in 6th year, so you're looking at about 300 hours of Maths and that's not even including 5th year eek.gif
    In pass you'd usually get half an hour max. Just makes more sense imo

In my school the pass class get waaay more homework than the honours :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

6 higher
    • English
    • Irish
    • French
    • Geog
    • Biology
    • Home Ec
    1 Pass
    • Maths
    Want to do Medicine but most likely wont get the points :(
    Prob end up doing psychology, primary teaching or languages/arts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

9:
    Maths
    English
    Irish
    Spanish
    Physics
    Applied Maths
    Religion
    Biology
    Chemistry

Hoping for Maths in Cambridge. If not, Maths+English Literature or Single Honours Maths in Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

6 higher
    • English
    • Maths
    • German
    • Geography
    • Physics
    • History
    1 Pass
    • Irish

Mechanical Engineering in UL. Lads, you got to get over yourselves, most of you won't do medicine. :rolleyes:

Also doing Computer Studies for UL, but that's a total waste of time and nobody has a clue what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

6 honours being:

physics
    maths
    biology
    business
    french
    geography

i'm a repeat so i don't have to do english and irish again
    GREAT SUCCESS!! :D

Edit: (obviously not if i'm repeating)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

irish_man wrote: »
    Last edited by irish_man; Yesterday at 22:02. Reason: realising my success wasn't that great

That's debatable.

You are
    - still in education
    - doing the Leaving Cert.
    - not blaming other people for any problems you had
    - ambitious
    - proud of your achievements
    - doing a number of subjects at Higher Level
    - realistic enough to repeat when things didn't go as planned first time
    - not putting other people down who are not doing as many Higher Level subjects as you

I'd say you're pretty successful.
    All the best in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm doing 6 honours and pass Irish. Higher at English, Maths, German, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

Doing only 6 honours has it's advantages and disadvantages...I like nearly all my HL subjects except maybe English (especially paper 2...ugh). On the exam day though, there can be no misfire in any subject. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

jumpguy wrote: »
    I'm doing 6 honours and pass Irish. Higher at English, Maths, German, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

Doing only 6 honours has it's advantages and disadvantages...I like nearly all my HL subjects except maybe English (especially paper 2...ugh). On the exam day though, there can be no misfire in any subject. :P

I've a feeling we'd get on great :D

Feckin' hate paper 2!!!!

Jayus though, must have a fair amount of work doing all three sciences!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Jayus though, must have a fair amount of work doing all three sciences!
    That's what everyone says :P It was actually one of the best decisions I've made in school, the subjects are actually quite interesting (well, if you like science), the courses are short, and the classes are very small so you get a lot of attention if you need it. :) Would definitely recommend the 3 sciences, if you like science!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

6 highers and 1 pass..

Pass in Irish and then Higher in English, Math, French, Physics, Business and Applied Math.

• Advertisement
Advertisement