Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't Connect To Xbox Live using Static IP?

• 31-03-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi, recently we had a new modem installed. Previously the xbox live ran fine (wireless connection) and the service,provider, speed has not changed. The router is the only thing that has. I tried to connect to xbox live and it tells me it cannot using a Static IP. I have tried a few troubleshooting steps suggested by Microsoft (it has also told me the router cannot assign an IP automatically to the console) I have tried turning off the modem wait 30 seconds turn it on, and turn off/on the console.

I'm getting desperate, any help much appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Why static ip? Just make sure UPnP is enabled on the router

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Ok I tried that and no luck. Still says the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

what router is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

What is the exact error message the xbox gives you? if upnp is enabled turn off your port forwards.

Can't connect to your network hardware using a Static IP Adress.

TP LINK - 54M WIRELESS ADSL2+

Thanks for the help again guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Kinda weird.. make sure the dhcp server is enabled on the router and upnp and also set the xbox wireless network settings to automatic...

try hooking the xbox up via eithernet to see if its a wireless issue too

Im sure ya tried most of that, but its probably something simple enough disabled/enabled on the router

Can't find DHPC server on the router homepage, what would it be under?

edit: Yeah it's enabled.

I'm using a Tp-Link WR841N myself, theres just a menu for DHCP, it's prob enabled usually is by default have a gander around the wireless settings on the router menus too

and a while ago i assigned a certian IP to an Xbox wirlessly, but not sure how I did it! i had some issues wirlessly before but some random troubleshooting helped

are all the wirless network settings for the xbox set for automatic?

and are other devices on the network working with wifi with their ip's being assinged automatically

I tried it with everything on Automatic, and it tells me

Can't obtain an IP adress from your router or modem.

My brothers laptop and the desktop PC i'm on now are all working so it's some setting to do with the xbox I presume :(

Yeah weird

sounds like the xbox, did u try connecting it via ethernet?

You could try getting the settings of the pc or laptop - the ip, gateway and DNS etc, and put the settings into the xbox wireless network settings with a different IP...

So for eg. if the IP for the laptop is 192.168.1.102 or something make the IP 192.168.1.103 ...just something that would be in the IP pool the router would give out itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Wireless or Wired connection?

re: the ethernet. I'm living with family so it wouldn't really be possible, there's always one on a PC or whatever.

Will try your second suggestion now, feels like I'm banging my head off the wall :( Thanks al

Wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

UCD AFC wrote: »
    Hi, recently we had a new modem installed. Previously the xbox live ran fine (wireless connection) and the service,provider, speed has not changed. The router is the only thing that has. I tried to connect to xbox live and it tells me it cannot using a Static IP. I have tried a few troubleshooting steps suggested by Microsoft (it has also told me the router cannot assign an IP automatically to the console) I have tried turning off the modem wait 30 seconds turn it on, and turn off/on the console.

I'm getting desperate, any help much appreciated! Thanks.

Hi have you try portforwarding for your 360 you get an open nat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Try to connect having turned off the encryption on the wifi, don't leave it off just to see if you can connect.

rob808 wrote: »
    Hi have you try portforwarding for your 360 you get an open nat

yes I have tried that. i am now trying restoring Network settings to default

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

this also happened to me and it turns out you just need to re bridge connections in your adapter settings

Thanks to ALL who helped, got it working by resetting the Network settings on the xbox. Please refer this to anyone who gets the same problem. You guys are the best, off to play now! :D:)

superfish wrote: »
    this also happened to me and it turns out you just need to re bridge connections in your adapter settings

can you explain this the live keeps disconnecting and re connecting :mad::mad::mad:

do you have an open NAT?

I funny enough just added a new 12 month live subscription today and was told i didnt have an open nat

make sure upnp is enabled and port forward ports 3074 TCP/UDP on the router settings

found in tplinks router mainpage settings > forwarding > port triggering

sorted it in 20 secs ..no idea for the disconnections on the xbox, try giving it a dedicated IP from the IP pool you have maybe

yeah the NAT is open

if I try giving it any manual settings it doesn't connect, with automatic it seems to disconnect quite regularly

• Advertisement
Advertisement