Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting Graveyards

• 31-03-2011 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

I'm working on a project that involved Graveyards and I was hoping for some suggestions of nice and interesting graveyards within the Dublin area. Anyone know of any places they can suggest?

This is the kind of pictures I have been working on so far

5577582740_b79dfb62c7.jpg

5577585778_32d44a58e1.jpg

5577584144_270d7fc2f3.jpg

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Well Mt. Jerome in Harold's Cross is awesome. Up the main road to the Church and then off to your right. Some fantastic tombs there. Never been to Glasnevin but again, it has some really famous people there and they do tours.
    There's also a little know graveyard in the IMMA AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

There is a small one in the grounds of Malahide castle, quite interesting though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my favourite part of glasnevin cemetery is the bit with the big trees near the eastern end:
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.370297,-6.273547&spn=0.00491,0.009645&t=h&z=17

some fantastic old grave 'furniture' there.

a lot of the rest of glasnevin is a bit 'bare'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The graveyard on Carrickbrack Road, Sutton (St.Fintans?) is unusual in that it dosen't have erected headstones, they are all laid flat on the ground.
    Dardistown graveyard, off the Swords Road near the airport is home to some very OTT headstones - some might say vulger in their display.

EDIT: Also check out "The Church" in Wolfe Tone Street, by the Jervis Centre. When the property was developed the headstones were all moved and stacked at the south end. Interesting and eerie sight.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Try Grangegorman Military Cemetery on Blackhorse Avenue.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

There is a small one in Straffan (not Dublin I know but close) and it's pretty good as it's almost in the centre of the village and is very very old so there are a lot of interesting headstones and tombs there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

There's a Huguenot one on Merrion Row, just off Stephens Green.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe we should have a graveyard themed random gallery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

There's plenty out in Fingal and would be worth the trip.

Some you may consider visiting are:

Ballyboughal
    Balbriggan
    Naul
    Garristown
    Grallagh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Lots of stuff there, thanks guys :)

One of the things I liked so much about the Graveyard in the photos above (Castlebar, Mayo) is the fact that it was not cramped, it was varied and lots of paths winding around small hills and so on. Was very pretty :)

I'll have to spend the next few weeks wondering around Graveyards, will be interesting to say the least :)

• Advertisement

There's also a German Military graveyard up in Glencree, Co Wicklow. WW2 German aircrews that died crash landing in Ireland are buried there.

There's also a German Military graveyard up in Glencree, Co Wicklow. WW2 German aircrews that died crash landing in Ireland are buried there.

There's also a jewish graveyard in Fairview some where and there's another graveyard in Blackrock at the Dun Laoghaire end of Frascatti Road. Come to think of it there's a Hugenot one on St Stephens Green / Merrion Row.

I'll have to spend the next few weeks wondering around Graveyards, will be interesting to say the least :)
    i've been to lots of graveyards which have been, well, dead as regards 'atmosphere'.
    some of them are just a collection of graves in a field. look for graveyards with some good tree cover - not necessarily to use as a backdrop, but to give a bit more drama to the light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Telchak

There's one in Donnybrook that I've always thought looked very interesting as I've gone by on the bus. Not sure if it's accessible though, as the gates usually look closed :(

There's also a pretty interesting one in Howth. It's on the side of the hill with a view over the harbour :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

A couple of km past Newcastle there is a lovely little gem of a graveyard. Arthur, of the Guinness fame, is buired there

127FE590036540CEA525AC178789FC0B-0000314448-0001994781-00800L-8A9B760F4A02431799377DF24CB1BF2D.jpg

Telchak wrote: »
    There's also a pretty interesting one in Howth. It's on the side of the hill with a view over the harbour :)

Nothing like a graveyard with a view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

Quite a popular one for photographers in Kildare is the old British Army Graveyard on the Curragh, it's only about a KM from the motorway (J12)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

There's plenty out in Fingal and would be worth the trip.

Some you may consider visiting are:

Ballyboughal
    Balbriggan
    Naul
    Garristown
    Grallagh

Ah Frank you forgot Rush!!!!

The Graveyard at Kenure between Rush and Loughshinny is small but also has the ruins of a church and the grave of Luke Ryan aka Jack the Batchelor a famous pirate. It is beside the soccer pitch. Just accross the road from the cricket Club is the prodestant church which has a nice little graveyard. The main graveyard between Rush and Lusk aslo has an old ruins, the gable wall of the first church built in Rush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

trooney wrote: »
    A couple of km past Newcastle there is a lovely little gem of a graveyard. Arthur, of the Guinness fame, is buired there

127FE590036540CEA525AC178789FC0B-0000314448-0001994781-00800L-8A9B760F4A02431799377DF24CB1BF2D.jpg

Hi..
    Where is this? Newcastle in what county?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

There's one in Donnybrook that I've always thought looked very interesting as I've gone by on the bus. Not sure if it's accessible though, as the gates usually look closed :(

I'm pretty sure you can ask in the Garda station for the key to the Donnybrook one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Went looking for photographs and this is all I have an overcooked H.D.R image of Kenure Churchyard

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]6065816554_9a72abaab4.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Am sure I have others from St. Catherines which is about a mile further up the road towards Loughshinny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

A few others :

Carrickbrennan/Monkstown :
    http://www.dunlaoghairecounty.ie/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=1864

And a bit farther :

The old Newtown graveyard in Trim
    The animal/Pet Cemetary in Powerscourt grounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

OldGoat wrote: »
    The graveyard on Carrickbrack Road, Sutton (St.Fintans?) is unusual in that it dosen't have erected headstones, they are all laid flat on the ground.
    The lower/newer graveyard has that policy. The older graveyards above have plenty of headstones.
    Top of Church St. Currently closed as there was a wall collapse a few weeks ago during the floods where 2 coffins got exposed. There's another walled and pretty much inaccessible one 100 yards south of it also.
    trad wrote: »
    Nothing like a graveyard with a view.
    Yep, nice view...
    howth-old-abbey.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Thanks guys, this will all be great for my project :) Keep em comin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Lovely one in Tara and in navan too out by the Ramparts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

There's one in the grounds of The Royal Hospital, Kilmainham. I've never actually gone in there so don't know how big it is but it's got a very interesting history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bully%27s_Acre,_Dublin

The grounds where British soldiers are buried are split in two by the main Avenue (coming from Kilmainham Jail side) - one for Officers and one for enlisted men and there's plaques on either wall giving an outline of the history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

There's a creepy graveyard between Clonee and Dunboyne (about 5 mins from Blanch Centre) thats overgrown and ancient. it hasnt been open in years and has all but been forgotten about as far as i can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Rasmus wrote: »
    Hi..
    Where is this? Newcastle in what county?
    Thanks!

Dublin

Advertisement