Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ovi Maps

Options
  • 31-03-2011 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have much experience with them? I’m thinking of using it for those journeys to harder to find places, but I know nothing about setting up and using them.

My Nokia 7230 doesn’t have Wi-Fi so I’m looking at using Meteors net that has 50MB for 69c. Would that 50MB easily cover a return journey? Again this is for smaller places; an example was last weekend getting lost in Galway trying to find a football ground (not Terry Land Park)

Thanks for any help/information

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You load the ireland map onto the phone, so it doesn't need to send all the map data to and from the phone. The network data sent would just be a few mb. Might only be 5mb on a short trip

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Davy wrote: »
    You load the ireland map onto the phone, so it doesn't need to send all the map data to and from the phone. The network data sent would just be a few mb. Might only be 5mb on a short trip

So is there a place I get the map from?I seen it on the phone, but is there a charge to get the actual map on top of Meteors charge?

So your saying I save the Irish map and then when I want to use it , I connect to the net while im viewing the map?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jeffk wrote: »
    So is there a place I get the map from?I seen it on the phone, but is there a charge to get the actual map on top of Meteors charge?

So your saying I save the Irish map and then when I want to use it , I connect to the net while im viewing the map?

Have you got ovi suite on your computer?
    Open that, click on the compass at the top, and then load the ireland map to the phone connected using the usb cable.

Once its on the handset, you can view it for free on offline mode, but if you connect to meteor you will pay data charges

Davy wrote: »
    Have you got ovi suite on your computer?
    Open that, click on the compass at the top, and then load the ireland map to the phone connected using the usb cable.

Once its on the handset, you can view it for free on offline mode, but if you connect to meteor you will pay data charges

Checking Ovi now thanks.

So I can have the whole map of Ireland offline and zoom in and out etc without connecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

yes. And nearly All other countries are downloadable too. You can take your sim card out if worried about charges.

• Advertisement

Great stuff.

Im in the Ovi program and when I clicked on the compass im told it cannot find maps for my device.

does it definitely have gps

dr ro wrote: »
    does it definitely have gps

Im not sure, from what I can see on some google searches youd need an external device for gps.

Again I havent a clue on this and guessed it could use Ovi maps :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

According to this there's no internal GPS
    http://blog.rightmobilephone.co.uk/nokia-7230-review/
    There is no GPS unit on the Nokia 7230, but that doesn’t stop it being able to support Nokia Maps. GPS functionality can be added by connecting the handset to a Bluetooth GPS Dongle, otherwise the Nokia Maps will locate you by using network triangulation. Services such as finding addresses and calculating routes will still work, even without the aid of a GPS unit.

So you should be able to download maps but it won't be able to direct you around with an external device connected.

I did a write-up here about loading maps onto a Nokia 5800 and the process should be the same for your phone.

biko wrote: »
    According to this there's no internal GPS
    http://blog.rightmobilephone.co.uk/nokia-7230-review/

So you should be able to download maps but it won't be able to direct you around with an external device connected.

I did a write-up here about loading maps onto a Nokia 5800 and the process should be the same for your phone.

Thanks, so far I can now see the option to download a map and I have done so and transferred it.

Now im trying to see how to open and use the map!

• Advertisement

it would seem that you can't use maps abroad if you don't want to use data, if you don't have gps.

I cant do anything at the minute, there's an option to buy a licence but that's about all I can do.

Do you have to buy that licence from Nokia?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

The original version of ovi maps you had to buy a license for.
    Nokia made them free about a year/year and a half ago.
    Looks like you're using the old maps that require a license.
    Get the new nokia ovi suite on your computer, then download the maps again.
    But without gps, it's going to be kinda useless.
    A standard paper map of ireland might serve you better, or print off the directions from the AA website

I managed to download and transfer two maps to the phone, but after that I cant do anything with them.

If I cant use them then thats grand thanks, it was just an idea I had and as you say I can easily print the directions from AA, Google etc.

Advertisement