Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too true?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Same as the two boys.

Im actually able to save about 300bucks a week too.

Also, think in terms of REAL wages when comparing.

Two hours work at home in the same job will get me a crate of beer. Exact same here.* Same with many other things. People complaining about it being very expensive are usually scrotbags and/or economic retards.

*Only used alcohol because its one of the things I hear is very expensive all the time.

What work are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Lads back on track, no point in a multi quote argument, I think we know what mellor and seachto7 are getting at.

I'm back in ireland for a month, and I have to say I am genuinely shocked, the impression I had was that everyone was on the dole and life was sh*te, but it is not, most of my friends are unaffected and are grounded, they don't buy things out of their price range and life is good.

The impression I had from people in Oz that just came back is that Ireland is falling apart (and if you read other forums you get that impression also) but it's not at all.

Maybe I have rose tinted glasses on since I am only here for a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

hussey wrote: »
    Mod Lads back on track, no point in a multi quote argument, I think we know what mellor and seachto7 are getting at.

I'm back in ireland for a month, and I have to say I am genuinely shocked, the impression I had was that everyone was on the dole and life was sh*te, but it is not, most of my friends are unaffected and are grounded, they don't buy things out of their price range and life is good.

The impression I had from people in Oz that just came back is that Ireland is falling apart (and if you read other forums you get that impression also) but it's not at all.

Nah, lots of people are doing just fine in Ireland. A few years ago we lived in denial thinking the good times could never end, now we are the complete opposite, insanely negative about everything.

Myself and gf came back from Oz couple of years ago and were told we'd be on dole for years, we both got jobs straightaway and have worked since. We have actually just quit and are heading back to Oz next week, only because the opportunity came along and we decided to head back for few years.

I know lots of people are having ****e time here, some of my friends and family included, but it would be nice to see a bit of balance in the news media and general public sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Thought i might throw in my 2 cents worth...
    my position is slightly different i think to most of you guys in that i'm assuming i'm a bit older and have a wife and kids. I work in construction and did so all around the world for 10 years before returning to Ireland in 99. I loved a lot of the countries i worked in (some more than others) but home is home and so returned.
    When things started to fall apart a few years ago and my wages started to get cut every 6 months we spent our entire life savings trying to keep a house going while the house itself devalued by E150,000.
    Such is life, we're disappointed but still have our health! It's only money at end of day.
    In the end we had to leave as we could no longer afford to pay all our bills, health insurance for kids etc. When you get older and have a family the things you must have are markedly diffferent to the things you think you must have when younger.
    Thank God we got into Oz where life so far is a marked improvement, my salary is 4 times what it was at home and we're slowly getting back on our feet, mind you half that salary is going home to pay a mortgage on a home being thrashed by renters..
    There are things we don't like here of course, tv, bogans, flies, spiders, snakes, the heat in summer etc but you have to weigh everything up and make a balanced judgement.
    Before we left home i was out for a few drinks with my mates in the local pub and listened while 2 of the guys discussed an upcoming strike action in their pharma company over overtime cuts, both guys barely scraped a pass in the leaving cert and are on about 65k each. At the time my company hadn't paid me in 3 months and i'm a so called professional!!
    Again it's all relative, these guys have not suffered at all due to the GCC, good for them i say. I wish i was sitting in the pub at home bit**ing about overtime.
    When you pass judgement on a place your just judging it against your own standards, there are at least 2 sides to every story.
    I like Oz, I like Ireland too, if you could take the best of both and make one country then that would be pretty damned cool. Was it Niall Tobin who said "twould be a great little country if you put a roof on it".
    For those thinking of giving Oz a chance go for it, whats the worse that could happen?, Ireland will always be there waiting for you if you decide you want to go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

seachto7 wrote: »
    Mellor, you said "0% of this happening in Ireland", which is not true, so yeah it's a rubbish comment. Now that you have said you work in architecture, it would make sense to say there is 0% of this happening with architects, as they don't have jobs. That's all I'm saying.

Can you not read?
    There was 0% chance for me to get a job in ireland. how can you say its not true, then say its true 2 seconds later.

I never said there is 0% chance for anyone to get any job FFS. your attitude comes accros as terrible and quite begrudging.
    eg
    Jaysus, lads, ye went to Aus and got a job. Aren't ye great!
    Ditto. You still have a job in ireland, aren't you great.

The simple fact is the OP is thinking about emigrating. For its fair to assume that the economic situation in ireland is the catalyst here. If they had a secure job they wouldn't have to be so concerned about it.

Beside, work is a minor concern. I've always wanted to travel, I've spent time in the states as well as australia. You cleary arn't pushed at the moment, but the OP must be as they asked. Some people are happy to stay at home in the parish, but it simple isn't for me, and a lot of others. There is a small window where you can do these things with no attachments. I'd be disgusted with myself if I settled down and never say as much of the world as possible. My best friend is at home in a 9-5 with his girlfriend.
    Do you makes you happy.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Can you not read?
    Mod Can you? I said drop this .... please

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

hussey wrote: »

There is a lot of media hysteria in Ireland regarding the un-employment, recession etc. The likes of jobs.ie still have many many vacancies. The ones who are motivated and put in the hard graft will always find work in Ireland IMO..just like in Oz from what i'm hearing.

The fact is that many people have become very comfortable on the Dole in Ireland and this is keeping our un-employment level so high. It was in the Independant a few weeks ago that many employers are finding it hard to fill 25K per annum jobs as many people simply don't want to come off benefits.

MOD I didn't see this post before my previous comment.
    seachto7 wrote: »
    Sick to f**k of people sneering away "Ireland is f**ked, Ireland is this and that".

Jaysus, lads, ye went to Aus and got a job. Aren't ye great!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Mod Enough please, you give out about sneering and then give the condescending rolleyes - NO MORE
    Again, there's a sneering attitude, on the Aus/NZ forum, from Irish people in Aus who seem to think they are somewhat better than those of us in Ireland just because they took a 2 day flight around the world.

They also take offence when someone points out how sh*t Australia can be compared to other countries.

Do we all have this sneering attitude? You give out to mellor about how he didn't use the words 'my, me & mine' and then you go tar us all with the same brush!

There may be a small minority with this attitude but certainly not most of us.

This attitude you speak of is throughout boards and Ireland, not just the Aus/NZ forum

Now please stop trolling, if you are offended by a post please report it, if you have a problem with moderators report it, any more insults towards us and you can take a mini break.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

There is a lot of media hysteria in Ireland regarding the un-employment, recession etc. The likes of jobs.ie still have many many vacancies. The ones who are motivated and put in the hard graft will always find work in Ireland IMO..just like in Oz from what i'm hearing.

The fact is that many people have become very comfortable on the Dole in Ireland and this is keeping our un-employment level so high. It was in the Independant a few weeks ago that many employers are finding it hard to fill 25K per annum jobs as many people simply don't want to come off benefits.

I would have to agree to a certain extent with whay you say, I myself earn €188 on the dole, I find that I can get by but I have no life. I went to college for 3 years to get a good job but unfortunatley the construction industry faded.

Now i'm heading to Oz on a WHV in August to:-

1. Change of scenery.
    2. Very good chance of employment (farm work)
    3. Good chance of Sponsorship in Quantity Surveying.
    4. Away from the doom and gloom.
    5. Possibility to save some money.
    6. A chance of making a career for my self.

I have sat in Ireland for two years and i'm sure you wood agree points 2-6 are impossible for me here in Ireland, only 4/64 in my college course are employed in ireland 3 are on min wage.

Cant wait to land in Oz, the past 2 years has thought me alot and I never want to be in the same boat again.

Advertisement