Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asparagus in Ireland

Options
  • 31-03-2011 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Does anyone know if there are any asparagus growers in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

There sure are! Normally available late May or early June for a very short while..

The Italian and Spanish is already on the market a few weeks but the supermarkets are still stocking the Peruvian..

It takes about 5 years I think for the crop to get going so most people don't opt to grow it out of impatience and accidental uprooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

spezi wrote: »

Use to be a guy just on the way into Lusk, he grew it for Tesco. Don't know if he still grows it. Its the type of crop that makes more money selling at farmers markets than supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Emerson wrote: »
    There sure are! Normally available late May or early June for a very short while..

The Italian and Spanish is already on the market a few weeks but the supermarkets are still stocking the Peruvian..

It takes about 5 years I think for the crop to get going so most people don't opt to grow it out of impatience and accidental uprooting.

Supermarkets here usually just stock Peru or Ecuador. Peruvian Asparagus only in the Dublin Market today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

English asparagus is just out atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I spent some time in Germany and ate locally grown asparagus, picked and cooked the day it was picked.
    It is divine, the stuff shipped in from far away is just not the same.

I'd love to know where to get Irish grown Asparagus, or even English
    stuff, as it would be fairly fresh.

If anyone sees it for sale anywhere, please let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tesco usually sell Uk asparagus for a few weeks every year.
    You need to keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

spezi wrote: »

Commercially - I'd say not. Privately I'd presume they are many.

My Dad has been growing it for years (more than 30) but has only ever got three or four plants/roots to sprout in any one year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Emerson wrote: »

You can buy asparagus crowns from garden centres, so you will have a good crop in the second year. Asparagus is a perennial plant, so once it is established it will produce year after year with a little attention.

I put in two types, the idea being variety and different cropping times to extend the production period.

I wrote about establishing a bed recently in the gardening section here at boards and their is a more comprehensive guide on my blog - link in signature.

A good companion or compliamentary crop is parsley
    aspar2.jpg
    I figure anyone can grow this in a regular garden, for a small garden I'd suggest getting an old car tyre and using it as a parsley and asparagus plot.
    You can normally get old car tyres for free from a local garrage.
    Main thing is to get loads of compost, manure or best of all seaweed into the base of the plot.
    Asparagus is naturally a coastal plant, so it will love seaweed fertilizer.

Advertisement