Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice needed

• 31-03-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭

i have just started a photography course and need some advice already

the excercise im ment to do is,
    pick a theme from sport, fashion and glamour,architecture,documentary,music and the arts

write a comprehensive brief for the shoot,brief should include

the theme
    the stated outcome of the shoot
    any props or models needed for the shoot
    time of the shoot and any lighting issues
    equipment to be used

i just need some advice on how to go about this and what to write about
    i dont want to be told word for word i just need to be pointed in the right direction
    im not sure i even understand what a comprehensive brief for the shoot means is it all about pre shoot:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

what type of course is it and what level of experience have you got?
    For something like this I'd imagine you'd need some experience? Can you ask the lecturer to elaborate further on whats required?

For ideas you should have no problem- pick something accessible like a street documentary or public architecture of some description (say train stations, churches etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

shamrock55 wrote: »
    i have just started a photography course and need some advice already

the excercise im ment to do is,
    pick a theme from sport, fashion and glamour,architecture,documentary,music and the arts

write a comprehensive brief for the shoot,brief should include

the theme
    the stated outcome of the shoot
    any props or models needed for the shoot
    time of the shoot and any lighting issues
    equipment to be used

i just need some advice on how to go about this and what to write about
    i dont want to be told word for word i just need to be pointed in the right direction
    im not sure i even understand what a comprehensive brief for the shoot means is it all about pre shoot:confused:

You've answered your own question with the part i've put in bold buddy.

You've got a huge open brief there, so what kind of photography interests you? Take that, and fit it to the theme, the ones youve listed can cover pretty much every type of photography there is.

Your obviously interested enough in photography to take up a course, so it would be safe to assume that you already have projects that you want to do yeah?

Once you've settled on the project, go back to the bit in bold.
    Start with the theme, discuss it, what do you hope to have by the end of the project? (i.e a series of images which show...)
    Why are you attracted to said theme?

The rest is self explanitory, and down to your own research i.e if you were to shoot architecture, what is the best time of day to shoot each building? When does the light hit it best? You'll find this out by doing some reccies and test shots.

You come across a bit paniced - chill out and take a deep breath, its your chance to take on a project thats always been in the back of your mind.
    Enjoy! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Eirebear wrote: »
    You've answered your own question with the part i've put in bold buddy.

You've got a huge open brief there, so what kind of photography interests you? Take that, and fit it to the theme, the ones youve listed can cover pretty much every type of photography there is.

Your obviously interested enough in photography to take up a course, so it would be safe to assume that you already have projects that you want to do yeah?

Once you've settled on the project, go back to the bit in bold.
    Start with the theme, discuss it, what do you hope to have by the end of the project? (i.e a series of images which show...)
    Why are you attracted to said theme?

The rest is self explanitory, and down to your own research i.e if you were to shoot architecture, what is the best time of day to shoot each building? When does the light hit it best? You'll find this out by doing some reccies and test shots.

You come across a bit paniced - chill out and take a deep breath, its your chance to take on a project thats always been in the back of your mind.
    Enjoy! ;)

thanks for that i am a bit paniced im not great at theory
    what does it mean by THE STATED OUTCOME OF THE SHOOT is that just about how the shoot went and how it turned out?

thing is there is no mention that i actually have to take picks
    it sounds to me like i have to write a brief pre shoot?
    maybe im reading it wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

thanks for that i am a bit paniced im not great at theory
    what does it mean by THE STATED OUTCOME OF THE SHOOT is that just about how the shoot went and how it turned out?

thing is there is no mention that i actually have to take picks
    it sounds to me like i have to write a brief pre shoot?
    maybe im reading it wrong?

From the wording you've posted, it sounds to me like you are supposed to write a brief for a pre-shoot.

And as you've just started the course, I can't imagine that you'd be expected to set up a full shoot with props, models, lighting etc.

I expect that the lecturers are trying to get you to think about photography as being more than just taking photographs.

The "stated outcome" in this case would be like a "statement of intent" ie., what you hope to gain from the shoot, what it is for, what it's meant to portray / capture etc.

I've never done a photography course, but I studied architecture years ago & that would be my reading of it, based on briefs I would have had for various projects.

thanks mate it does sound like a brief for a pre shoot ive just emailed the tutor now so should have an answer in the morn i didnt really want to email off questions so early in the course but i guess thats what they are there for i just need to clarify what it is they want me to do they should write things in plain english for us eejits:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Yep, what SB said, basically your aims for the shoot.

Good luck with it!

Edit: once youve planned it, there is no reason not to shoot it, wether they want you to or not. ;)

thanks mate it does sound like a brief for a pre shoot ive just emailed the tutor now so should have an answer in the morn i didnt really want to email off questions so early in the course but i guess thats what they are there for i just need to clarify what it is they want me to do they should write things in plain english for us eejits:D

One of my lecturers in college always urged people to ask questions no matter how daft they seemed. His motto was, "there's no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer"!

Best of luck with the course by the way. Sounds like it could be good fun!

thanks guys youre all a great help;)
    any ideas how much i should be writing and should i write under seperate headings or all in one thanks again!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I would address each section separately. They are trying to get you into a system of planning a job or project. This will allow you to anticipate problems and how to overcome them.

As this is just a written theoretical exercise I would advise you look at the way you write. The absence of capital letters and punctuation does not give a good impression. You can get away with it here but for an assignment get it right.

CabanSail wrote: »
    I would address each section separately. They are trying to get you into a system of planning a job or project. This will allow you to anticipate problems and how to overcome them.

As this is just a written theoretical exercise I would advise you look at the way you write. The absence of capital letters and punctuation does not give a good impression. You can get away with it here but for an assignment get it right.

Will do,thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Was about to say what CabanSail said - use your keyboard properly.
    That's why God gave us caps and commas - to make sentences legible for those of us over 14 years old.....

Was about to say what CabanSail said - use your keyboard properly.
    That's why God gave us caps and commas - to make sentences legible for those of us over 14 years old.....

You know, it is possible to give advice without being smart about it.

Advertisement