Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for some advice on what hardware to get ?

• 31-03-2011 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I just need an ata converter for a home alarm (dialer rings my phone when alarm gos off) so dont need to use phone much and was thinking of using the blueface 80euro linksys device on pay as you go.

Im assuming I dont need to connect to a computer just plug an ethernet cable into the linksys from my router and that connects to blueface without the need for a computer ?

Is there a cheaper option ? was thinking i could get an ata converter for skype but just cant seem to find any that dont want to connect to a computer and dont fancy leaving computer on all day may as well stick with upc phone if that was needed.

Any advice would be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You either use an (external) ATA as you have described or you could get a router with a built-in ATA ..... and some even have a built in Dect station as well.

With such setups there is no need for a computer.
    The router and ATA remain powered and calls can be made and received.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Any old ATA will do the trick.

Alternatively something like an Option Globesurfer II which has an analog port will allow your alarm to dial out over GSM.

if the €80 linksys from blueface is the SPA3102 then it also has an option to use a regular landline as a backup if your broadband and/or voip provider is down.

You can use the Globesurfer in place of the landline so now your alarm will dial out via GSM if your VOIP is down.

I have both of these bits of hardware but havn't actually gotten around to testing them together yet though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

GSM as means of alarm communications is not secure and can be easily by-passed.

You will need:
    Any sip ATA to work with blueface, these can be gotten on ebay cheaply. To set up the ata you will need a computer, however once it is setup you will no longer need your computer online all the time. Blueface pre-configure their equipment and will require no setup.

Then, use a rj11 crimp to a wire from your ata to your intruder alarm speech dialler and it will work like a landline. There is no change to the alarm settings. It is not possible to use text diallers via voip ata as they are unreliable.

Some equipment as mensioned above is usful for your requirements... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kristok 2

Thanks for the replys

Mr_Grumpy would this do what you said ?

Linksys-PAP2-NA-VOIP-SIP-ATA-Phone-Adapter

kristok 2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys

Mr_Grumpy would this do what you said ?

Linksys-PAP2-NA-VOIP-SIP-ATA-Phone-Adapter

Yes. You will require it to be unlocked and with a uk plug to use providers such as blueface in ireland. Any unlocked at with sip should work with most providers.

Any questions let us know! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNLOCKED-LINKSYS-PAP2T-SIP-VOIP-Phone-Adapter-Bracket-/260655748985?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item3cb04b1779

I bought one of these. Unlocked from chinaman.

great job. Little bit of setting up but straight forward enough.

I run my normal house phone off blueface. :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNLOCKED-LINKSYS-PAP2T-SIP-VOIP-Phone-Adapter-Bracket-/260655748985?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item3cb04b1779

I bought one of these. Unlocked from chinaman.

great job. Little bit of setting up but straight forward enough.

I run my normal house phone off blueface. :D

Did the ata come with a UK power supply? This ata can be used with any voice dialler in an alarm. Very easy to setup. Just swap thr alarm telephone wire to the ata. Use a rj11 crimpy. Assk in the home security systems forum on how to setup technically. :)

Yes it comes with the correct supply for where you are uk/euro/usa

Yes it comes with the correct supply for where you are uk/euro/usa

Thanks for letting me know! Seems good value

Only came across one issue which was no fault to the ata. Found out what the problem was tho. My dect phone required a higher voltage (can be changed in the settings) my phone would not ring on incoming calls. Outgoing was fine 100%. Took me weeks to cop it on. My mate bought same one he never had an issue with the phone he used. Just a Heads up

• Advertisement
Advertisement