Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help adding a WAP to a router please!

• 31-03-2011 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi

I'm a bit of a novice and have an Getnet GR154 ethernet router which my PC and phone are connected to. I'm trying to add on a Planet WAP 4036 wireless access point to it which is going okay apart from that I can't access the 'http://192.168.0.1' IP address that it says I need to log into to get my WAP details etc. IE comes up with 'IE cannot display the webpage'. If I go to 'http://192.168.1.1' it takes me to the Getnet log in screen but this isn't the correct one for the WAP.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it to do with the IP addresses of the router and the WAP and if so how can I fix this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 obrien.cathal

Hi,

If you unplug the LAN cable from the WAP and type in the WAP's IP address while connected to it are you able to access the settings screen?

Cathal

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bassmanwest

Hi Cathal

Tried that but unfortunately it still doesn't connect. I think it's down to the IP addresses. 192.168.1.1 goes to the Getnet router home screen and 192.168.1.2 goes to the Gigaset home screen (the interent phone line provided by Irish Broadband). I'm not sure if I have to 'register' the WAP with the PC as it doesn't seem to have recongised it or assigned it an IP address (if that's how it works).

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The AP is on a different network, 192.168.0.1 is not reachable from 192.168.1.X using the default class c subnet of 255.255.255.0.

What you need to do is set your pc to a static ip in the AP network space, login to it then change the APs IP address to something in the same subnet of your router. Also make sure the DHCP server is off on the AP as this can lead to conflicts.

MC

Hi MC

Thanks for your reply. I'm a bit of a novice at this so would appreciate it if you could try to simplify that for me if you can.

When you say set my pc to a static ip in AP subnet do you mean changing the Internet Protocol settings to 'use the following ip address' rather than 'detect automatically' and then enter a new IP address outside of the routers DHCP range (I have found that my router has a DHCP range of 192.168.1.2-99), i.e 192.168.1.100? If so what would then be the subnet mask?

Apologies if this seems like a stupid question but struggling at the moment to find out how to do it.

Cheers

No problem, you have a better grasp of it than you give yourself credit for.

Scan for the signal of the AP using WiFi, and it should hopefully have no security setup on it yet, if it does then hold down the reset button (should be recessed into the case) for about 5 secs while it is on and the AP will reset to default settings, sometimes the default setting's for the security etc are printed on a label on the base should resetting not result in an un-encoded WiFi signal.

The AP from reading the spec online has also got a DHCP server (we will need to disable this later as two DHCP servers is not a good thing unless properly configured) at this stage it having a DHCP server is of benefit to us as it will just allocate us an IP within its Pool and allow us to login to it.

Open a CMD prompt (Start > Run >then type "CMD" without the quotes and press enter ) and type in ipconfig /a (providing you are on a windows machine) the read out from this will scroll up the command screen, scroll up and find the section relating to the WiFi adaptor and note the default gateway, this is the address of the AP (it can at times point to another device but that only happens in a more complicated network config like I alluded to above.)

Open a browser and enter the IP listed under default gateway and you should now have the login page of the AP.

Any probs PM me as I have mail alerts set and will be notified, I'll be online watching the Rugby

MC

• Advertisement

OK having received more information via PM, OP you don't have a WiFi Adaptor installed on that PC going by the output of ipconfig /a

That makes configuring the AP a little more complex as we need to manually set our IP, do as you were going to do above and set your address to 192.168.0.10, 255.255.255.0 subnet mask ( note that having set the IP to the above address we won't be able to connect to the internet, this is due to no longer being in the same network as your router).

Now login to the AP using 192.168.0.1 in the browser of your choice, disable the DHCP server and change the IP of the AP to 192.168.1.254 ( I always tend to put gateways/routers and APs on opposite ends of the IP address range, just makes it easier to remember, not a requirement.)

Having done the above now return your IP settings to Auto by reversing the steps you took to manually set it and hopefully that should be it.

The AP of course should be plugged in to the router via Ethernet

MC

Hi MC

Thanks again for your reply and with your comments I thought I was getting somewhere. I changed the IP address as you'd said and for the first time managed to log onto the login screen. When though I tried to change the AP's IP address though it said it was re-booting the WAP but then came up with the 'explorer cannot connect' screen and did nothing else. All other attepmts to change the PC's IP address back and forth to try to get back onto this screen have failed including re-booting etc.

I've kinda come to the conclusion that I may have to try one of the following instead:-

a) Buy a PC WiFi adaptor
    b) Buy a long modem cable and Wii adapter and try to manually connect to the Wii, or
    c) Scrap the ethernet and WAP and buy a wireless ethernet router that also suits the internet phone line.

Do you have any thoughts on which one to go with?

Many thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 obrien.cathal

Hi,

When you wrote that you can no longer connect to the WAP page which address did you try? You had changed the IP to 192.168.1.254 so you should be looking there for the configuration screen i.e. http://192.168.1.254

Cathal

OK having received more information via PM, OP you don't have a WiFi Adaptor installed on that PC going by the output of ipconfig /a

That makes configuring the AP a little more complex as we need to manually set our IP, do as you were going to do above and set your address to 192.168.0.10, 255.255.255.0 subnet mask ( note that having set the IP to the above address we won't be able to connect to the internet, this is due to no longer being in the same network as your router).

Now login to the AP using 192.168.0.1 in the browser of your choice, disable the DHCP server and change the IP of the AP to 192.168.1.254 ( I always tend to put gateways/routers and APs on opposite ends of the IP address range, just makes it easier to remember, not a requirement.)

Having done the above now return your IP settings to Auto by reversing the steps you took to manually set it and hopefully that should be it.

The AP of course should be plugged in to the router via Ethernet

MC

Did you do the above bolded step?

Advertisement