Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommendations

• 31-03-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

hi all

i have been considering buying a dog for a while now but can not decide on a breed. so im looking for advice on choosing one.

Im looking for a breed that is good around young kids as i have a four and two year old boys. I walk alot and have a big back yard so any breed i buy would get lots of exercise. I owned a rottweiler for years and love them but my partner is not keen on me getting another one.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks
    tommy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Hi Tommy,

If you are looking for a particular breed that is good with kids I would be saying the Staffordshire Bull Terrier ... they are nicknamed the nanny dog due to their good tempermant with kids. We used to have one when I was younger and just love the breed. If I was ever to get another dog it would be a staffie as just adore them. Also, I am sure this will be mentioned over and over in the thread but please consider the rescue route.

EGAR is very good for rehoming staffies and other bull breeds (maybe you could PM them).

I would also say Greyhounds, they do not have a great reputation unfortunatley but they can are placid and easy to care for!

Other than that though, you could visit shelters and explain what you are looking for. They have all types of dogs, big, small, mongrels and pedigrees.

I have a small greyhound and a mongrel terrier type bitch. The greyhound is just a dote with kids but I could not trust my terier in anyway unfortunatley :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

RubyGirl wrote: »

Can you not add to the discussion instead of giving a link to another forum?You could at least have said heres a dog in a rescue that would be ideal or something like that.

OP Id go for a Labrador.Great with kids.Our younger two dress our lab up in dresses,do her hair and she just sits there and lets them.

Amazing dog with kids...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

I own a rottweiler myself and though I love the breed they can be deceiving. I would recommend a boxer excellent around children and elderly people and exceptionally gorgeous:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

never seen a staffordshire bull terrier.... How big do they grow?
    Love labs.... They were one of the breeds i was looking at....
    What are huskys like?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

That's a staffy- StaffBullTerradult5.jpg

Amazing temperaments, great with kids and very patient. Labs are great dogs too but can be very boisterous when young. I would definitely stay away from a husky: they are very willful dogs who are notorious escape artists and they dont tend to take too well to kids pulling at them. Huskies have a very strong prey drive and once they start running, its very hard to make them come back. Boxers are lovely dogs, but like labs very boisterous again.

What size are you thinking of going with? Small, medium, big? Are you willing to do obedience classes with your dog? Some breeds will need firm handling from the very beginning and obedience classes benefits all.

Shanao wrote: »
    That's a staffy- StaffBullTerradult5.jpg

Amazing temperaments, great with kids and very patient. Labs are great dogs too but can be very boisterous when young. I would definitely stay away from a husky: they are very willful dogs who are notorious escape artists and they dont tend to take too well to kids pulling at them. Huskies have a very strong prey drive and once they start running, its very hard to make them come back. Boxers are lovely dogs, but like labs very boisterous again.

What size are you thinking of going with? Small, medium, big? Are you willing to do obedience classes with your dog? Some breeds will need firm handling from the very beginning and obedience classes benefits all.

was thinking of a medium to big dog. Had planned on going to do Obedience classes.

am i better getting a dog or a bitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If you are not set on a particular breed, looking into a rescue would be perfect for you. There are loads of really good dogs out there that are brilliant with children. Quite a lot of rescues assess dogs to see how they are with kids, and won't home dogs that are not good with children into a household that has them! Labs, Staffies, most of the Spaniels, Boxers and so many more are renowned with being good with children but it really is down to the individual dog as to whether they are child friendly or not and taking it on an individual basis is your best bet to find a good dog for you. It's a good idea to have a basic idea of what kind of dog you want (size, energy requirements, temperament) and keep an open mind - sometimes the most unlikely candidates come up trumps!

www.irishanimals.ie is a very good website to start your search for a new dog - there are loads of all shapes and sizes in rescues around the country through no fault of their own. The advantage of rescue is also that you get a dog (if you choose and adult) that is already full grown and their temperament is already known. Often, they have a good bit of training done (basic commands, house training etc.) and are must easier to handle on a day to day basis than a young pup (esp with a young child around the house). Many times, the Heinz 57 is the best breed there is smile.gif

Good luck!

With kids, you're better off getting a bitch, they have great mothering instincts. How do you feel about grooming? Will the dog sleep inside? (sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions but it helps narrow it down out of three hundred+ breeds :D)
    Something hardy like a staff or lab would still probably be best, or maybe a springer spaniel (they can be a bit loopy when they're young, but they have great personalities).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    never seen a staffordshire bull terrier.... How big do they grow?
    Love labs.... They were one of the breeds i was looking at....
    What are huskys like?

Def dont go for a husky. I wouldnt recommend them unless you are serious about doing a huge amount of exercising like cycling, bikejoring etc with it as they are a dog that arent for the average family or person.

If you had rotties before i highly recommend a rottie bitch then, they are great with kids and the bitches are real pets.

am i better getting a dog or a bitch?

Bitches can be very cranky around the time they go into heat, so not good with kiddies around (this is usually twice a year), and dogs can be a bit "male" (if that makes sense at all) when it comes to children so it's really personal preference. If you are going to neuter, it really doesn't matter which you choose.

Shanao wrote: »
    With kids, you're better off getting a bitch, they have great mothering instincts. How do you feel about grooming? Will the dog sleep inside? (sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions but it helps narrow it down out of three hundred+ breeds :D)
    Something hardy like a staff or lab would still probably be best, or maybe a springer spaniel (they can be a bit loopy when they're young, but they have great personalities).

grooming is not a prob. The dog will more than likely stay indoors at nite.
    Do staffy's shed much hair?

should i get a young pup so the dog can bond with the kids from a young age?

Personally speaking, yes i would advise a young dog or pup if you have kids but only if you have the time to put into the training from the word go as puppies are very hard work and can take months to toilet train and settle into a routine so you need lots of time, patience and energy for them

It is not necessary to get a young pup for bonding reasons, adult dogs bond just as well with kids (and adults) as pups do. Adults are also much more understanding when it comes to getting the rules when it comes to children (things like jumping etc.) once they are taught what is ok and what is not. I have had pups and adults (as newcomer dogs) in my home and both have been just as loving and bond just as easily. Training will need to happen regardless of getting a pup or an adult and can be hard work!

Staffs wouldn't shed as much as some breeds, but that's not to say they dont shed of course:D They do have a thin coat though, so would need to sleep indoors at night.

When it comes to age, there are pros and cons to either a young pup or an adult. A pup might bond better with the kids, but a pup can also be a bit boisterous with kids so young. Rescues would have a good idea of the adults personalities and could reccommend which one would suit kids, but some adult dogs then can be set in their ways and wont pick up training so quickly. There are hundreds of staffs in rescue and pounds all over the country though so if you do decide to go with one, it might be an idea to visit your local rescue and get a feel for the breed.

Staffs are restricted dogs though, so will need to be muzzled when out in public. This doesn't mean they are a dangerous dog though, its because they are unfortunately a favourite for druggies and thugs because of their loyalty and protective nature.

i think Im sold on a staffy....what should i expect to pay for a good pup?

what way does the rescue route work?

i think Im sold on a staffy....what should i expect to pay for a good pup?

If you are looking for a pedigree staffie let me know as i can probably recommend a breeder to you but i suggest you meet some staffies in person first before getting one just so you know exactly what they are like. That goes for any breed you are thinking of getting:)

i have spent some time around dogue de bordeaux's are these like a staffy?

• Advertisement

i have spent some time around dogue de bordeaux's are these like a staffy?

Eh, not being funny, but no, couldnt be further than a staffy. I suggest you google and do some online research on certain breeds.

Staffies are terriers, DDB are mastiff type dogs, completely poles apart.

Rescue works by you contacting the rescue, usually filling in forms (with your detatils etc) and looking at a few dogs that could be suitable (or looking into spacific dogs - all info on rescues dogs are usually available online, on spacific rescues sites). A home check may be required (depending on the rescue). Pounds are different, but in my opinion a pound is prob not the best option for you because you have a young child to consider (dogs from pounds have no history).

http://www.irishanimals.ie/boxerstaff_homes.html <-- these are just a few that are around the country.

EGAR specalise in the Bull Breeds (Staffies included!), Sarah (the lady who runs EGAR) is on this board - username "EGAR" - so you could pm her or go onto EGARs website and contact her and she'll be able to give you all the info you need.

Thanks to everyone for all the help it is much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just a aquick query about Staffies. What is there temperament like. Can they possibly turn on you. Also is it the law that they have to bemuzzleed when in public

billyhead wrote: »
    Just a aquick query about Staffies. What is there temperament like. Can they possibly turn on you. Also is it the law that they have to bemuzzleed when in public

Eh, why would they turn on you??:confused:

Yes the law states they have to be muzzled in public.

Staffies have absolutely amazing personalities; in America they are known as nanny dogs because they are so good with kids. They dont just 'turn on you' any dog will turn and bite if its kicked around the place enough. They unfortunately end up in the hands of idiots who treat them like ****, that is how people get bitten. Staffs were bred to be friendly and loyal to humans, and that is what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

As everyone else has said Staffies have great temperments. They are loving, loyal, patient with kids. If you get the chance to spend time with some you will find they are very funny when it comes to 'talking'. They grunt and snort at you(much like a little pig!). Very happy little dogs that do not get the credit they deserve.

Delighted you seem to be veered towards them Tommy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

it may be too late to change your mind but i personally was amazed today when i saw this at home... my 20month old son telling my 6 1/2 month old rottie to sit and yes he sat...
    go for a rottie puppy and you wont regret it :D
    picture.php?albumid=1668&pictureid=9258

Advertisement