Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rottweiler behaving odd

• 31-03-2011 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

I have a six year old rottweiler and I must admit he has always been stubborn to say the least. His behaviour of late has been odd, whenever I drive off in the car he chases it until I reach the end of the driveway, He seems to get so close I nearly hit him and barks aggressively.
    Today whilst driving home from work he growled as I got out from my car and the hairs on his neck stood up I was very frightened. I am very good to him and constantly give him treats and hugs so I'm kind of sad he is behaving like this.
    Btw he chases most cars that leave the driveway but surely he knows who I am?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Have you had him checked over by the vet recently? I would maybe get a check up with him to rule out any health problems.

Maybe he was growling because he couldnt see you properly so maybe is sight is at him and he was confused?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

andreac wrote: »
    Have you had him checked over by the vet recently? I would maybe get a check up with him to rule out any health problems.

Maybe he was growling because he couldnt see you properly so maybe is sight is at him and he was confused?

He is in great form with everyone and really good to people bar me, I am probably the nicest to him. I am away a lot but that shouldn't really make him distant with me. He has had health checks and we were told that he can develop arthiritis as this is common in rottweiler breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Your to nice to him and he see's you as the submissive. Your suppose to be the dominant. To turn this around is gonna be tough and possibly dangerous since your already afraid of him and at 6 he's still in his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

Yeah dog's dont really understand "nice", they aren't humans... He probably sees you as a submissive member "of the pack". You have to get your authority back, get him to respect you as the leader in a healthy way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Op Rottweilers are a great dog but need firm handling, if they see a weakness at all they will capitalise on it or as the saying goes 'give them an inch they will take a mile'. Being nice to your dog is great but you also need to keep them in check, it's a fine balance really and if it sways in either direction you wil either end up with a frightened dog or (in your case) a dog that takes the p*ss (for want of a better description :)).
    Google NILF (Nothing in Life is Free) it is a great training aid or way of living really, that will create respect and boundaries in a dog but through positive training.

ETA: Also rule out any pain he might be in by bringing him to a vet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Id get him out of the habit of chasing cars also, consult a good trainer on how to do it. Chasing cars is dangerous and it awakens there prey drive and he might have a hard time switching it off. Try going back to basic bonding, be the one to provide his meals, walk him, do obedience training.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EOGON1

Your to nice to him and he see's you as the submissive. Your suppose to be the dominant. To turn this around is gonna be tough and possibly dangerous since your already afraid of him and at 6 he's still in his prime.

Theres no need to be afraid of him ,the dog has not gone bad,you can be nice and dominant at the same time,get someone around who the dog will respond to and can handle the dog,be very firm and give him commands,you have had him six years if you a worried go and see a vet .

Advertisement