Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow Way Relay 11/6/2011

• 31-03-2011 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

The Wicklow Way Relay is set for June 11th this year, and no longer are Boards the upstart children at the grown-ups table, we now have a title to defend! Last year we won first prize, with a cracking team, coming home in under 8 hours. This year, there'll be plenty of friendly rivalry, as the previous Elite Order of Hillrunning Clubs seek to knock us off our perch. We've no intention of giving back our crown without a good fight, and to that end I reckon we have the makings of a 7:30 team from these parts. Our second team last year did exceptionally well also.

Starting at Kilmashogue in Dublin, over eight legs it traverses the Wicklow Way to the finish at Shillelagh, Co. Wicklow, crossing numerous mountains and valleys along its way. Teams are made up of eight runners, to include at least two vets (40+) and two females (although other permutations are possible, see rules for details. Entry fee €15 per runner.

I've asked a few of the faster Boardies over the year if they are interested in running, and have got a 100% response so far. We'll have at least two (possibly three) teams again, and they will be picked under the following criteria:

1) You must have done a 2011 recce of a leg to be considered for that leg. No exceptions- being a stickler for this is what ensured our victory last year. The more legs you've recce'd, the more legs you can be considered for.

2) Teams will be picked on current form, so if you're regularly beating a rival in hill races, you'll probably get the nod ahead of them. The best team will of course be subject to general discussion, but captains choice will decide in the end (although I'm pretty fair!).

That's it! Stick your name down below with your category (M, F, M40, F40) on the list., or PM me, if you're interested in running for a Boards team, and we'll take it from there, and start organizing recce's etc.

donothoponpop (M40)

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 15 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    86%
    StarkKrusty_ClownMothmanjeffontourPeterxdonothoponpopfootinglecheileRaighneAr Straejohnnyb1PronatorHelicon1 13 votes
    3 stars (average)
    13%
    geldocnoc 2 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Its early days but I can't see myself getting into racing form to match last year in time for the WWR. I'll leave my name off on that basis for the time being at least. I think the net should be cast wide for fellow Boardsies. e.g. Asiminov, Pronator (a pal of mine who is Rotterdam bound next week) and who was 3rd in trail races in the last trail league so has some hill form, or whoever steps forward for that matter. Then again, having said all that M40s are useful as are lady runners :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

donothoponpop (M40)
    BeepBeep67 (M40) - keep the gates closed this year :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

All the skillful people made it round their leg last year without a recce! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ezikel

The WWR is still one of the best days out you will ever have, do yourself a favour and organise a team......(directed at non boards AC of couse) good luck with the defense of the title!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

donothoponpop (M40)
    Nerraw - happily run in any boards team. Decent winter league under the belt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)

donothoponpop (M40)
    Krusty_Clown - (M40)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

4 stars (good)
    to include at least two vets (40+)
    donothoponpop (M40)
    BeepBeep67 (M40)
    Krusty_Clown - (M40)

<squints and looks from BB to KC with shifty eye's, readies trigger finger...>

4 stars (good)
    <squints and looks from BB to KC with shifty eye's, readies trigger finger...>
    M40s can run as M's too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

M40s can run as M's too. :)
    but captains choice will decide in the end (although I'm pretty fair!)

Captain's dilemma <donot looks in mirror> ;)

Winning team had 3 x M40 last year anyhoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

4 stars (good)

donothoponpop (M40)
    Krusty_Clown - (M40)
    jeffontour - leg 6 preferred, I can make inroads into last years time all going well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The imra site is down at the moment, what is the length of each leg ?

4 stars (good)
    huskerdu wrote: »
    The imra site is down at the moment, what is the length of each leg ?

Ranging from 8k to 22k in distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Wicklow Way Relay
    Record: The Blister Bunch (2004) 7 hours 17 minutes 21 seconds

Note: These descriptions are a guideline only and are not fully up-to-date on all legs (particularly leg 1).

Leg Distance Climb Record
    1 14.4 km 556m 56:00
    2 15.1 km 759m 61:02
    3 8.0 km 126m 27:04
    4 9.6 km 363m 38:25 (time=old course)
    5 13.6 km 571m 53:49
    6 12.7 km 566m 48:57
    7 21.2 km 651m 81:10 (time=old course)
    8 10.0 km 283m 33:33
    Total 104.6 km 3,875m 7:17:21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

donothoponpop (M40)
    Krusty_Clown - (M40)
    jeffontour - leg 6 preferred, I can make inroads into last years time all going well
    Asimonov m40

M40 is trending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

donothoponpop (M40)
    Krusty_Clown - (M40)
    Asimonov m40
    Daithi BC M

I have a county championship race this weekend and the GIR next weekend, so those should give a good indication of what sort of form I'm in.

4 stars (good)
    asimonov wrote: »
    M40 is trending
    Maybe we should have a team entirely composed of m40s (and a sprinkling of f40s for good measure).

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

3 stars (average)
    The Boards Machine of computer quakes gets rolling early :)
    The week before the Euro Trial.... No clashes...

Will make for an interesting race.
    No doubt it will be decided by "big" club teams getting lost.

Unsure which of my many clubs I shall be kitting out for... CNOC, Donore, Military team.... a random team of mercenary racing orienteers maybe

Should be a good weekend :cool:

Cnoc - you can be an honourary boardsie. About time the team had a youngster :D

Guys - happy to do a guide run of leg 5, Glendalough to Glenmalure, in the coming weeks if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

4 stars (good)

donothoponpop (M40)
    BeepBeep67 (M40) - keep the gates closed this year redface.gif
    Krusty_Clown - (M40)
    Asimonov m40
    Daithi BC M
    Pronator (M35)

Happy if you want to keep it to the (M/F40) category:D the shorter and flatter the route for me:) the better:eek:

Any cailini?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Clashing with the Mourne Way marathon again this year which is a pity, but that's my priority for the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

4 stars (good)

donothoponpop (M40)
    Krusty_Clown - (M40)
    Asimonov m40
    Daithi BC M
    Pronator (M35)
    Mothman (M40)
    First post on A/R/T! I can manage leg 4 because I can cycle home afterwards! and not in fit state to run further! Did leg 7 in 2006. I'll do recee of leg 4 and see where I'm at...I have my eye on leg 2 next year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

donothoponpop (M40)
    Krusty_Clown - (M40)
    Asimonov m40
    Daithi BC M
    Pronator (M35)
    Mothman (M40)
    Abhainn (M39) :)

I failed to defend one of my 2010 titles in 2011. I can't let this one get away.
    Can't wait for the torture again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

donothoponpop (M40)
    Krusty_Clown - (M40)
    Asimonov m40
    Daithi BC M
    Pronator (M35)
    Mothman (M40)
    earlyevening

Better book 2 team slots with Joe, dpop. :) Abhainn & pronator ye will love leg 7.. you know u want to.

4 stars (good)
    Fantastic interest (and talent!) so far. I have also gotten interest from some of last years team, and other BAC imra runners.

We have a private forum for discussing the WWR, it has relevant maps and route info, useful if doing a recce. I've sent an invite to anyone new on the list.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I did route 5 last year but I was slow. I dont hill run much but if, and only if, you cant get the enough women on board Id do it just to keep yiz legal. Id need to join someone for a recce. Wont be offended if ya dont want a hill pleb, its a just in case, Ill defer to any other girls who throw their name in.

4 stars (good)

[/B]donothoponpop (M40)
    Krusty_Clown - (M40)
    Asimonov m40
    Daithi BC M
    Pronator (M35)
    Mothman (M40)
    earlyevening
    Oryx (F)
    Racoon Queen (F)
    Oryx wrote: »
    I did route 5 last year but I was slow. I dont hill run much but if, and only if, you cant get the enough women on board Id do it just to keep yiz legal. Id need to join someone for a recce. Wont be offended if ya dont want a hill pleb, its a just in case, Ill defer to any other girls who throw their name in.

We had two teams last year, I envision 3 this. Its a great event, well worth doing, and chicks are at a premium, so will be courted and féted by teams across the land. Proper order too, welcome on board girls:)

4 stars (good)
    Word on the street is that Rathfarmham are hurting from their reputation for cock-ups in the WWR, and are either going to pass on the relay this year, or field a definitive killer team that will destroy the record.

But you didn't hear it from me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Word on the street is that Rathfarmham are hurting from their reputation for cock-ups in the WWR, and are either going to pass on the relay this year, or field a definitive killer team that will destroy the record.

But you didn't hear it from me...
    ive shown the them a nicer leg 7 ,complete with visit to baltinglass and easi road section into tinaheally:o.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

ocnoc wrote: »
    The Boards Machine of computer quakes gets rolling early :)
    The week before the Euro Trial.... No clashes...

Will make for an interesting race.
    No doubt it will be decided by "big" club teams getting lost.

Unsure which of my many clubs I shall be kitting out for... CNOC, Donore, Military team.... a random team of mercenary racing orienteers maybe

Should be a good weekend :cool:

Donore to field a strong team this year;)

Surely we won't have ocnoc doing a mere trail race (i.e. a leg of the wwr). He'd be looking for the most direct route ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

4 stars (good)
    Surely we won't have ocnoc doing a mere trail race (i.e. a leg of the wwr). He'd be looking for the most direct route ;)
    and making sure to take in a peak on the way :pac: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nem_e

donothoponpop (M40)
    BeepBeep67 (M40) - keep the gates closed this year
    Krusty_Clown - (M40)
    Asimonov m40
    Daithi BC M
    Pronator (M35)
    Mothman (M40)
    Abhainn (M39)
    earlyevening
    Oryx (F)
    Racoon Queen (F)
    (Super) Trooper (M)

This is a race that’s caught my imagination and I’d love to get a team spot somewhere, not sure of the sections but have run the Wicklow way trail route a few times this year so I guess that might partially cover 2 or 3 sections,(going to check now :)) . Plus I’d be up for recce's on weekends time permitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

4 stars (good)
    Abhainn (M39)
    If you turn 40 in 2011 you count as an M40 for IMRA purposes. Handy..

As a member of teams that have snatched defeat from the gaping jaws of victory I'd like to reiterate some sound advice;

1 - Recce - this one you know already
    2 - Know how long it will take you to drive to your leg start and when you need to arrive there to be at least 15 minutes before your best estimated time for the incoming runner.

With the newish Turlough rule there is no mid race swapping of team members so showing up on time is now vital as opposed to important!

Much and all as I enjoy that slow sinking feeling as Team Rathfarnham implode it would be great to all start and finish properly..

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Peterx wrote: »
    Abhainn (M39)
    If you turn 40 in 2011 you count as an M40 for IMRA purposes. Handy..

Two of our faster males have booked in for gender realignment surgery late in the year (of course they'll cancel come the date). We have a team of lawyers ready to argue the coming-of-age rule should also apply to coming-of-sex.
    Much and all as I enjoy that slow sinking feeling as Team Rathfarnham implode it would be great to all start and finish properly..

Rathfarnham will break the record this year, or so a little bird told me (a little, all-black, flightless, bird).

.. it would be great to all start and finish properly..

You need to get the middle bit right too ;)

4 stars (good)

donothoponpop (M40)
    BeepBeep67 (M40)
    Nerraw - (M)
    Krusty_Clown - (M40)
    jeffontour (M)
    Asimonov (M40)
    Daithi BC (M)
    Pronator (M35)
    Mothman (M40)
    Abhainn (M39)
    earlyevening (M)
    Oryx (F)
    Racoon Queen (F)
    (Super) Trooper (M)
    Mymojo (F)

:D

donothoponpop (M40)
    BeepBeep67 (M40)
    Nerraw - (M)
    Krusty_Clown - (M40)
    jeffontour (M)
    Asimonov (M40)
    Daithi BC (M)
    Pronator (M35)
    Mothman (M40)
    Abhainn (M39)
    earlyevening (M)
    Oryx (F)
    Racoon Queen (F)
    (Super) Trooper (M)
    Mymojo (F)
    Slogger Jogger (M40) Sure why not. Something to aim for... :D

4 stars (good)
    Thanks for all the interest so far guys! I've had a few other speedsters confirm they'd like to run for an A team (they'd deffo be that sort of material), so I just want to explain something about teams. At the moment it looks like we could have 3 teams, and its early days yet. I asked the RD last year would it be taking the mick a bit if Boards entered 3 teams (there's a strict limit of 30 teams, and its growing in popularity), so I daresay we'll be doing well to get 3 in this year, any more might be a bridge too far. So I'm reiterating at this stage that teams will be picked on:
    1)2011 recce completed, and 2)current form.

I'm not saying now that anyone from here on in signing up will be excluded, by any means, nor am I stating that an early bird will be penelized for being eager to run this from day one. I'm more re-stating how we will do things fairly, should we have to look back at this post closer the day...

Did any of that make sense? Anyway, bottom line is, people are still very welcome to sign up, and lets get those recces going!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

So I'm reiterating at this stage that teams will be picked on:
    1)2011 recce completed, and 2)current form.

That sounds fair to me. When do you think you'll have an idea on team formations so we can work out which legs to recce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭jlang

Same as last year I've planned the summer holiday without checking the race calendar so I'll be in Brittany again. The next year I'm not away, I'll resolve to try out for the team.

4 stars (good)
    Daithi BC wrote: »
    That sounds fair to me. When do you think you'll have an idea on team formations so we can work out which legs to recce?

I'll start to organize who we have next week, and let people know. For the moment, if you get a chance to recce your favoured route, go right ahead.
    jlang wrote: »
    Same as last year I've planned the summer holiday without checking the race calendar so I'll be in Brittany again. The next year I'm not away, I'll resolve to try out for the team.

John, you need to prioritize all right... my trip to France is booked for the day after the relay:D However, you're more than welcome to come along on any of the recce's should you wish.

Short notice but it might work for someone. I was figuring on an easy run of 12k ish in the morning. If someone would meet me at Glenmalure we could drive to Glendalough and run leg 5 and I'll drive you back to Glendalough after the run. Early doors would suit me. Failing that I'll do something local.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I plan to recce that one again as its the one I already know but no can do tomorrow. Will post here when I plan to go, but will attempt it alone if necessary, (with a mate to collect me and/or call mountain rescue!)a nice challenge for my memory :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

Hey, quick question, have been roped into running leg 7 for the club team under the guise of it being 18k, have a feeling I've been misled now after seeing the breakdown posted earlier. Is it actually 22k or is that just what it said on Ultraman's garmin??:D

4 stars (good)
    Diggy78 wrote: »
    Hey, quick question, have been roped into running leg 7 for the club team under the guise of it being 18k, have a feeling I've been misled now after seeing the breakdown posted earlier. Is it actually 22k or is that just what it said on Ultraman's garmin??:D

It's 22k. A pretty tough 22k at that, worth recce'ing beforehand.

It's 22k. A pretty tough 22k at that, worth recce'ing beforehand.

Cheers, and there was me looking for a nice relaxing few weeks after the Kildare marathon.

Diggy78 wrote: »
    Cheers, and there was me looking for a nice relaxing few weeks after the Kildare marathon.

Diggy, I'd be happy to guide you on leg 7, at some stage if you are interested.

NB. Don't forget what a recce is about. Pay attention to the route, so you can do it on the day. Chat away by all means if in company but ensure you are doing the leading / making the decisions. Those were the words to me from a more experienced man.

Diggy, I'd be happy to guide you on leg 7, at some stage if you are interested.

NB. Don't forget what a recce is about. Pay attention to the route, so you can do it on the day. Chat away by all means if in company but ensure you are doing the leading / making the decisions. Those were the words to me from a more experienced man.

Hey SJ, I might just take you up on that although I wouldn't want to slow you down too much. Will PM you later about it, cheers.

I actually did leg 2 a few years back, the recce I did by myself and it took me over 2 hours trying to read directions and go back on myself, :o. You're dead right though, I had no problems come the day after all that concentration.

• Advertisement
Advertisement