Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview & Freesat combo

• 31-03-2011 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭

Hi

Right. Im clueless...lets state that from the start

I've just cancelled my sky cause there robbing b*astards.
    so now im getting my free channels through my sky box.
    Im living in limerick and my RTE/TV3 signals are something from the stone age.
    My aerial dish is rusted to pieces...so much so i seen the dog running around with a piece of it earlier.

So....upgrade time...would a saorview/freesat combo be the best way to go?

Can someone recommend me a package seeing as im going to need a new dish etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

why would you need a new dish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

zuroph wrote: »
    why would you need a new dish?

it fell apart....its old...like myself..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

There are no official Saorview & Freesat certified boxes so the next best thing to what your are looking for is a mpeg4 DVB-T & Free To Air DVB-S box.

There are a few drawbacks to not having them certified, such as that there are none of these boxes that will do MHEG5 which is used for Digital teletext on saorview and may be used for things like red button functionality.

On the satellite side of things you won't get your 7-day EPG only what's on now and next. If they move and channels around on the satellites then you will need to rescan the channels to get them back(this happens rarely)

If your anyway handy with this kind of thing its fine but I wouldn't recommend it for older people.

As far as dishes go, any 60cm or bigger dish will work. Avoid the cheap ones that come with the kits from lidl, homebase etc. and avoid the Sky type as you can see they're not the best!

Have you put up a dish before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

There is supposed to be a Saorview certified combo box that's gone for certification, but I haven't read whether that's happened or when it'll launch. There was also talk of it possibly having the freesat epg via ethernet, but that could've been just speculation.

The currently combo's are grand, not withstanding the points made by 12 elements about retuning/ adding channels. We have one, and are happy, but our long term plan is a saorveiw TV, and a Freesat+ receiver. You'll probably get a dish from the online stores you can order the combo's from, if that's the route you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

excellent...i was looking at the saorview website and there are some stockists in limerick who seem to do combos so im going to pop into them over the weekend.

12 elements no i havent...to be honest ill get an installer too do it for me.

So if i had someone to provide the combo and dish and install it for a reasonable price id be laughing

• Advertisement
Advertisement