Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 1.4m pigs buried alive in any way 'funny'??

Options
  • 31-03-2011 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

I saw the below video recently about a horrible, hard-to-believe-it-happened animal burial in South Korea, so I came looking on boards to see if had been discussed previously.

It had been. But had it been met with a sympathetic audience? You be the judge...

- South Korea burying 1.4m pigs alive?

Am I overreacting, or is it to be understood in advance that the After Hours forum is the rightful domain of piss-takers and would-be 'wits'?? I was hoping to share the video with more compassionate minded folk, so I came to this forum instead.

I'd like to know what people here make of the both the (mostly sarcastic) reaction to this tragedy, and the tragedy itself. Do you find that a lot of people even know about it?? I for one didn't!!! I'm still in a bit of shock tbh.

Was hoping to generate a bit of a discussion about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Have you ever laughed at a rape joke? Murder joke? How about dead baby jokes, or genocide jokes?

You can choose to be offended by jokes. You don't get to choose what other people should or shouldn't be offended by.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

I have heard about it and worse things concerning animals, people are disgusting really to inflict that behaviour on animals.
    The mass burial of the pigs was an absolute disgrace, I can't watch the video as I don't think me watching it will make me feel any better:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

28064212 wrote: »
    Have you ever laughed at a rape joke? Murder joke? How about dead baby jokes, or genocide jokes?

You can choose to be offended by jokes. You don't get to choose what other people should or shouldn't be offended by.

How is a true story about 1.4m animals being buried alive a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

28064212 wrote:
    You don't get to choose what other people should or shouldn't be offended by.

This isn't news to me, you might be surprised to learn.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    How is a true story about 1.4m animals being buried alive a joke?
    You know the Holocaust actually happened? And yet there are still being jokes made about it.

I never said the story was a joke. I said condemning people who joke about it is foolish, pointless, and (if you've ever laughed at a joke which was about an equally horrific subject) hypocritical
    Priori wrote: »
    This isn't news to me, you might be surprised to learn.
    Then why ask if you're over-reacting?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Say somebody takes you aside and in a low whisper, tells you a joke about the Japanese tsunami. Alas, you can't help but laugh, however guilty you might feel afterwards.

Now, take this same somebody who, on overhearing a person express horror at the tragedy, strolls on over and jutts in with his joke.

Apparently I may be a hypocrite for knowing the difference between these two very different situations.

The thread I linked to wasn't initially posted as a joke at all; it was turned into a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Log Lady

Have you ever laughed at a rape joke?

I have to say I have never found rape a giggle, 28064212. Just as it is your right, Priori also has every right to be offended by the frankly disgusting response in the After Hours forum.

Thanks for bringing the video to my attention Priori, truly shocking to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Ah.......No! who would laugh at those jokes:confused:. noone I know thats for sure.

As regards the pigs, honestly the more I see about humans the more I despair. it would surely not have taken much to gas them or something before burial. i am no expert on dispatching pigs though, so maybe ( a tiny maybe!) there is a valid reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's just After Hours being After Hours realy, not to be taken seriously.

A few years back an Air France aeroplane crashed into the Atlantic, everyone killed including Irish passengers.
    You'd want to have seen the piss taking jokes and puns on that thread. :rolleyes: I still remember it years later
    But realy, I know what forum it was in

I've not seen this story about the pigs. I would have thought they'd be gassed and then buried. Gassing isn't that difficult to organize even with the huge numbers involved.

Priori wrote: »
    Say somebody takes you aside and in a low whisper, tells you a joke about the Japanese tsunami. Alas, you can't help but laugh, however guilty you might feel afterwards.
    Now say you walked into a bar full of strangers and started talking about 1.4m pigs being buried. You'd get a whole range of responses, including jokes.
    Log Lady wrote: »
    I have to say I have never found rape a giggle, 28064212.
    I never said I found rape to be a joke. That's completely different to finding jokes about rape to be funny. Have you ever found a dead baby joke funny? What about the old one about Hitler killing himself after he saw the gas bill? Is that funny or disgusting?
    Log Lady wrote: »
    Just as it is your right, Priori also has every right to be offended by the frankly disgusting response in the After Hours forum.
    Was it more or less disgusting then the jokes about the Japanese tsunami? Or the jokes about the severed arm found on the beach?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I dont think discussing the merits of after hours or threads in after hours should really be discussed in this thread.

Can we keep it on topic please?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it was me who started the original thread and i thought it was pretty shocking that they would do it (hence posting it). i quickly found out i'd posted it in the wrong forum anyway.

no, not funny at all imho, but then again everyone is different.

Advertisement