Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hiring a bull

• 31-03-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

does anyone know of a name/contact to Hire a bull for a season?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

Dunedin wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Check out the Farmers Journal. There's usually an ad from a guy in Monaghan who hires them out. Think there's someone in Cork that does it too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

monaghan man there--does that! has all breeds i do hear! have heard gd reports+bad reports about him!
    not better buying a bull--and then let him do his job--sell on,etc...what breed looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

wiggy123 wrote: »
    monaghan man there--does that! has all breeds i do hear! have heard gd reports+bad reports about him!
    not better buying a bull--and then let him do his job--sell on,etc...what breed looking for?
    i know him very well and he is a crook and competle messer.he is in jail at the minute he threatend to kill a lady dept of agric officer.he was also not bloodin the bulls when they moved to a different herd.as whelan 1 said in a previous post brucellosis has not gone away and is widespread across the border. dont know how he got away with it for so long and jail is the place for him.his bulls are not even pure bred i looked up bull of his on icbf for someone and it said no bull found .he keeps bulls in killkenny on a farm he leases.he lost leases on other farms having dead bulls lying about round bale plastic dung and slurry and tags.he lets bulls tramp lease land all winter. he should get his herd number taken off him .his bulls would have no bvd or any other disease free staus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Jazus....that's mad. He could have spread serious disease by now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Ah lad sure you could buy a bull for €1000, He may not be a 5 star bull but at least he`ll be a purebred and you`ll have a set of calves out of him. On top of this theres nothing stopping you from selling him off at the fall and getting you money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Grecco wrote: »
    Ah lad sure you could buy a bull for €1000, He may not be a 5 star bull but at least he`ll be a purebred and you`ll have a set of calves out of him. On top of this theres nothing stopping you from selling him off at the fall and getting you money back.

You won't buy a bull for 1000. Sure any animal that's over 500kg is making at least 1200. Dealers are going around all the bull sales to buy all the bulls at under 1700 for the factory.

I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. If you buy a bull for 1000 it will be reflected in the sale price of your calves!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

reilig wrote: »
    You won't buy a bull for 1000. Sure any animal that's over 500kg is making at least 1200. Dealers are going around all the bull sales to buy all the bulls at under 1700 for the factory.

I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. If you buy a bull for 1000 it will be reflected in the sale price of your calves!!

I hear what your saying, you definitely get what you pay for. Maybe not €1000 but Ive seen bulls advertised for 12 and 13 hundred (and you could always do a bit of bargaining). My point is that there are good deals to be got when buying a bull and its gotta be better than renting a bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

would never rent a bull , we have lads buying bulls to clean up and then they bring them to the mart and get what they paid us for them there , its a win win situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i know him very well and he is a crook and competle messer.he is in jail at the minute he threatend to kill a lady dept of agric officer.he was also not bloodin the bulls when they moved to a different herd.as whelan 1 said in a previous post brucellosis has not gone away and is widespread across the border. dont know how he got away with it for so long and jail is the place for him.his bulls are not even pure bred i looked up bull of his on icbf for someone and it said no bull found .he keeps bulls in killkenny on a farm he leases.he lost leases on other farms having dead bulls lying about round bale plastic dung and slurry and tags.he lets bulls tramp lease land all winter. he should get his herd number taken off him .his bulls would have no bvd or any other disease free staus.
    sounds like a lovely man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

my brother hired a bull off him on a few occasions but not in the last five years at least , always thought he was a bit of a chancer but then again , thier is no such thing as a straight monaghan man , hadnt him pegged for a thug though , his bulls were nothing special and the truth of the matter is that you would just as cheaply buy a modestly priced bull , let him do his job and sell him on without spending any more than it would take to pay mr bull lender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

reilig wrote: »

you will get a bull for a grand ( angus ) , we got a hereford for 1200 at a multi breed sale in carnaross last may , great animal with superb calves out of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I know a man hiring bulls €500 for the season and feed the bull yourself :eek: I hired a bull once to clean up after AI, never again. He put 5 cows incalf and fattened himself up in the process and the man leasing him hounded me to hire bulls off him for three years after. The year after I bought an angus bull for €1100 kept him for 3 seasons before the end of the 3rd season I sold him for breeding at a mart bull sale for €1500 :)

Advertisement