Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scope service

Options
  • 31-03-2011 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

how do ya know when a scope needs a service or has to be sent back to be re callibrated ?

my meopta wont put the bullet where i want it
    im thinking there may be something up with it

mounts are fine ,
    would the recoil of an un moderated affect the scope ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

endasmail wrote: »
    how do ya know when a scope needs a service or has to be sent back to be re callibrated ?

my meopta wont put the bullet where i want it
    im thinking there may be something up with it

mounts are fine ,
    would the recoil of an un moderated affect the scope ?

Still having no luck then? A .30-06 shouldn't frighten any scope in decent mounts, and I think you're catered to there. I take it you gave the rifle a good clean? Maybe start off at 50 yards or so with the iron sights? That'll let you know whether it's the scope at least or some element of the assembly. It's a nice gun. Hopefully you get it running properly soon enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No brand of scope is immune from fault irrespective of price, general quality, etc. Some problems are more appropriate to cheaper scopes, and do not effect the dearer ones, but any scope can have any problem.

A number of things can cause loss of zero. Obviously the mounts and rings are the first you look at. If i remember correctly you're firing a short barreled 30-06?

I had an old model Swift Premier on my 30-06. It worked great on my old .243, but when i mounted it on the 30-06 it was another ball of wax. Scopes have an internal recoil system to help them retain the zero setting each time a gun is fired. Now thats a fairly simplistic explanation, but adequate. When the Siwft was on the 30-06 i looked at mounts, rings then i blamed the bullets, mod, overheating, being too cold, etc, etc. Eventually i couldn't overlook the scope anymore.

Turns out the scope could not handle the recoil of the 30-06 without a mod or muzzle break. The crosshairs would "jumo" with each shot and when they "settled" the POA and the POI were not the same and so i suffered a los of zero. I returned the scope and it was replaced with the new version Swift. I was obviously hesitant, but the importer, through my dealer, guaranteed me that the scope would not loose zero even on an unmoderated 30-06. True to his word it didn't.

Didn't know myself. All of a sudden the bullets were hitting exactly where i aimed shot after shot. Now previously the shots were still "on paper" but i was looking at a 7" group at 100 yards with it. Now its touching shots at 100 yards.

The only advice i could give is to set out a target at 100 yards. Clamp the rifle down, and i mean clamp. Have it as tight as possible. Aim at the bull and fire. Repeat this for 5 shots without adjusting the scope or changing your point of aim. If you get a shotgun pattern, as in impacts up, down , left, right, etc then its the scope. If you have a "loose" group, but a group non the less (say 2" all low and left) then its your shooting style or the bullets.

The best test would be to mount a different scope (if you can borrow or have one) and re-try the clamped 5 shot , same POA test. If they group well with the new scope then its 100% your scope. Depending on when you bought it and the manufacturers warranty you may get a replacement. If the scope is designed for a CF rifle, and the manufacturer did not specifically state the scope cannot handle above a certain caliber (whoch they wouldn't do) then its a fault and should be replaced.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

A good quality scope should not need to be serviced. I have never had any Burris or Nikon that required service.

As Ez stated, no-one is perfect and I have indeed sent new scopes back for trivial problems.

If the scope did not cost much to begin with, I would doubt sending it for service will do much.

However, if they are willing to give it the once over, free of charge, all you have to lose is postage. But don't pay for service on a cheap scope. I would recommend buying a good Burris, Nikon, or Redfield instead. They are affordable enough.

I have shot at least a thousand rounds through my 30-06 without any loss of zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Try and do a box test and see if the scope has trouble tracking in a certain direction. Might help

Advertisement