Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC - ITV2, 3 & 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Not happy with this! Loved ITV2!

Live in an apartment so can't get a dish, so stuck with UPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's a huge loss to UPC, as they were popular channels. There's not much out there they can replace them with though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

kitten_k wrote: »
    Not happy with this! Loved ITV2!

Live in an apartment so can't get a dish, so stuck with UPC
    hi, if it wort the money you could try this http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=Sqish_Dishes&ActinicSID=aaad1f2443b4ad0e135b36818863793d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

coylemj wrote: »
    Are you sure that would have been available via the UPC ITV4 feed? Most live sports events broadcast on ITV4 were blocked by UPC and they just showed a blank screen, there was usually a message on the info screen saying that it couldn't be shown in the ROI.

Well, I'm not sure to be honest, as we've only had UPC digital here a few months so I don't know whether the BTCC would have been available to view or not but I was hoping it would be. Guess I'll never know now, though! :(

A combination Freesat/Saorview setup is looking much more attractive now but I suppose the remainder of the UPC contract will have to be seen out first otherwise cancellation fees or something like that will still have to be paid, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

no more celebrity juice. load of b@ll@% this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Dinky22

Rang UPC now when I discovered that ITV2, 3 + 4 were "no longer available". They said that their contact ended 31/3 and that an Irish channel has taken them over. I don't know what that means. Anyway, I told them that my monthly payment was very poor value for money. I can get 4 packs from Sky for what I am paying UPC at the moment with loads of channels. UPC can't possibly complete. As regards the person who wrote in who lives in an apartment. I can't see why an areal can't be put up on roof. I feel there is no competition and that the management of many apartments have exclusivity deals with UPC. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Col200sx wrote: »
    6 channels in a couple of months

Again, there's not much they can do about stations closing. Don't think the other channels should muddy the ITV waters (as that complain can stand out on its own IMO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

zerks wrote: »
    Wasn't being smartassed with my reply-it's just that a lot of people who use cable have little or no knowledge of satellite tv but are now getting into it as UPC continue to raise prices and are now cutting channels.
    If the main channels you watch are the likes of ITV,BBC,CH4 etc. then freesat/fta is the way to go,no more bills either.

There is no point, I am renting and I doubt 1) that the landlord would allow a dish and 2) I won't be here forever so would be wasting my money..

Thanks though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It seems to be a TV3 issue. TV3 have rights for programming that airs on each of the ITV channels 2, 3 and 4. UTV is exempt as they are required to be carried by UPC and any TV service provider.

It is likely that TV3 and ITV have signed a contract which removes the channels from UPC.

TV3 was sold by Canwest and ITV in 2006. TV3 agreed a licencing deal with ITV until 2013 on the sales of that channel to Dogherty Hanson. TV3 bought Channel 6 in 2009 and renamed it 3e effectively becoming their answer to ITV2.

Have to say I won't miss the channels that much, UPC will prob return their own channels such as CBS Drama as they were lost when UPC took on ITV set of channels.

Also UTV is a seprate channel to ITV the hold they the CHANNEL 3 franchise in Northern Ireland while STV holds it in Scotland. ITV hold the remaining Channel 3 licences in England and Wales.

It is also worth pointing out that ITV 2, 3 and 4 are available via satellite for free, while both TV3 and 3e are available for free on Soarview.

http://newsroom.zonemedia.net/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

TV3, and their VC owners threatened ITV somewhat as I understand it. I find their timing is silly, they should have tried to carry ITV2 and 3 themselves ( especially) on a single mux with TV3 post ASO in late 2012/early 2013 and rebrand e3 as TV3 Americas or something. To do so they should have let them run another two years....so maybe they are eating into TV3 viewing figures :)

As ITV cannot tailor ads on these channels for the Irish market they backed down. ITV2 3 and 4 each have as high a weekly 'reach' as SKY1 in the UK ( where fewer households subscrive to sky as a % of households) and

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

I absolutely don't care what UPC's reasons are. All I care about is that I'm paying more for the service then I paid a year ago and I have 5 channels less. I am canceling my UPC TV service.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    TV3, and their VC owners threatened ITV somewhat as I understand it. I find their timing is silly, they should have tried to carry ITV2 and 3 themselves ( especially) on a single mux with TV3 post ASO in late 2012/early 2013 and rebrand e3 as TV3 Americas or something. To do so they should have let them run another two years....so maybe they are eating into TV3 viewing figures :)

As ITV cannot tailor ads on these channels for the Irish market they backed down. ITV2 3 and 4 each have as high a weekly 'reach' as SKY1 in the UK ( where fewer households subscrive to sky as a % of households) and

It wouldn't have mattered if ITV2, 3 or 4 did eat into TV3 audience levels as none of those channels carry opt-outs. ITV2 has an audience of 2% in the UK in comparison to 0.9% for Sky 1.

It would be interesting to know what audience levels the ITV channels have.

blaz wrote: »
    I absolutely don't care what UPC's reasons are. All I care about is that I'm paying more for the service then I paid a year ago and I have 5 channels less. I am canceling my UPC TV service.

Why have you 5 channels less?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Elmo wrote: »
    IIRC there were a couple of +1s as well.

IIRC there were a couple of +1s as well.

I am on the very basic UPC Digital package, I didn't realize they had ITV2 +1 and 3+1 etc.

They should have been quicker to replace the channels and they should really reduce their prices in line with the lose of ITV as they did increase their prices when they initally added them.

Also I don't consider a +1 a channel, especially for repeat channels like ITV2, 3 and 4.

You cann't really blame them, it's TV3's issue.

• Advertisement

I still have them all for nothing on my Freesat Box but only in SD :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I still have them all for nothing on my Freesat Box but only in SD :)

Bit of a backwards step for TV3 if they plan to leave terrestrial TV.

Compared to a year ago Bravo and Channel One are gone as well, plus the three ITV's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Compared to a year ago Bravo and Channel One are gone as well, plus the three ITV's.

Sky shut those channels down, so you can hardly blame UPC for that.

I don't think you can blame UPC for the disappearance of Bravo, Bravo+1 or Channel One.

They should really bring back their CBS channels.

Don't forget ABC One!

Or Living

Or Sky 3! it just isn't the same when it's called Pick TV!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

No more Celebrity Juice:mad:

They should have been quicker to replace the channels and they should really reduce their prices in line with the lose of ITV as they did increase their prices when they initally added them.

UPC make it sound like this was something that happened in the last minute and something that is out of their control. They very well knew when the contract is expiring and could have negotiated replacement channels well before the cutoff date.

UPC make it sound like this was something that happened in the last minute and something that is out of their control. They very well knew when the contract is expiring and could have negotiated replacement channels well before the cutoff date.

Yeah I know I said that. Anyway I imagine UPC will now starting putting up UKTV and CBS channels. It is the only thing the can do. They already have a contract with UKTV and their parent company is involved in CBS channels. UKTV's Watch perhaps.

I don't think you can blame UPC for the disappearance of Bravo, Bravo+1 or Channel One.

Looking at it as a customer, I really don't care who's to blame. UPC was offering those channels and now they are not and they have not replaced them with anything. At the same time they started charging more for the service. Simplez.

Looking at it as a customer, I really don't care who's to blame. UPC was offering those channels and now they are not and they have not replaced them with anything. At the same time they started charging more for the service. Simplez.

Sky didn't replace Bravo or Channel One. You could say the replaced them with Sky Atlantic but I would say that was coming down the road anyway. Bravo and Channel One got the chop, as did ABC ONE. MTV has reshuffled its channels on several ocassions. Bubble Hits was also closed. It happens. I agree that UPC should have been more ready and didn't give the audience enough information and better communications for the changes to each channel need to be told to the consumer.

BRAVO has been closed by Sky. Virgin One is being renamed Channel One. Sky are closing Channel One Down. There are rights issues with ITV2, 3 and 4 and ITV have choosen to take their services of cable in ROI.

And yes either we are decreasing our prices or providing you with replacements.

Also from a customers perspective I didn't particularly want ITV so why should I have had a price increase when they appeared on my EPG?

And yes either we are decreasing our prices or providing you with replacements.

"We"? Are you working for UPC?

My UPC bills have only ever gone up, never down. I was paying 52 EUR a year and a half ago, now it is 61. That includes two price hikes by UPC and an upgrade to HD+ which I did because of the better STB, not because of the pathetic two HD channels on the Value pack.

Again, 5 channels gone, my bills going up. Something's not right here.

Of course I can't cancel today because the accounts departement is closed, but I'll do that first thing Monday morning.

"We"? Are you working for UPC?

My UPC bills have only ever gone up, never down. I was paying 52 EUR a year and a half ago, now it is 61. That includes two price hikes by UPC and an upgrade to HD+ which I did because of the better STB, not because of the pathetic two HD channels on the Value pack.

Again, 5 channels gone, my bills going up. Something's not right here.

Of course I can't cancel today because the accounts departement is closed, but I'll do that first thing Monday morning.

No if I was I wouldn't be suggesting "we" reduce "our" prices. Chi Ching!

Well before you move to sky I suggest you look into a freesat and saorview combination unless you have Sky Sports and other premium channels.

I agree however I have seen my Internet speed increase from 3MB to 10MB without having to change contract or increase my Bill (brilliant). The increases were purely based on new channels. Again I have the basic cable package and I wasn't too interested in ITV 2, 3 or 4 (****).

By the way blaz I think we are pretty much on the same page.

Well before you move to sky I suggest you look into a freesat and saorview combination unless you have Sky Sports and other premium channels.

Not moving to either. Will live without TV and even save the 160 EUR per year for the TV license. :D

The big problem is that ITV channels look better on Freesat than the same programs do even on Saorview Digital when TV3 broadcast them and are much better than TV3 on SKY , just look at these bitrates ( same encoding)

UPC pictures were more like TV3 quality.

onlinechart.cgi?0282-10759-V-2044+1+2+4+10060,10070,10072,10100,+2011-03-31

onlinechart.cgi?0282-10759-V-2044+1+2+2+10060,10070,10072,10100,+2011-03-31

onlinechart.cgi?0282-10759-V-2044+1+2+4+10060,10070,10072,10100,+2011-03-31

Compared to cacky old TV3

onlinechart.cgi?0282-10744-H-2043+1+2+1+9605,+2011-03-31

onlinechart.cgi?0282-10744-H-2043+1+2+2+9605,+2011-03-31
    onlinechart.cgi?0282-10744-H-2043+1+2+4+9605,+2011-03-31

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

This cant be a coinidence but a sky rep just called to my door. She didnt say anything about itv but i think its fishy :confused:

• Advertisement

Not moving to either. Will live without TV and even save the 160 EUR per year for the TV license. :D

If you took you ITV 2, 3 and 4 being drop from UPC to leave TV land one would wonder why it didn't dawn on you earlier?

Whats TV3 like on Sky?

illumin wrote: »
    This cant be a coinidence but a sky rep just called to my door. She didnt say anything about itv but i think its fishy :confused:

ITV won't be appearing on the Sky EPG, TV3 asked for ITV 2, 3 and 4 to be removed.

If you took you ITV 2, 3 and 4 being drop from UPC to leave TV land one would wonder why it didn't dawn on you earlier?

Nah, I was thinking about it for some time, this ITV fiasco was just the last straw that brought it over the edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭mikeym

I cant see any new channels replacing Itv2,3 and 4.

I can see a lot of people canceling upc and gething the fta satellite systems.

How can upc justify price increases when they lose channels without replacing them.

mikeym wrote: »
    I cant see any new channels replacing Itv2,3 and 4.

No they won't be new channels as such I assume that if they do replace them it will be with channels that are currently not available on UCP. Only for Internet and Phone I would be happy to let them go tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

I cant understand how people can defend UPC.

Bottom line, they knew this was going to happen and did not inform us. They knew this was going to happen and didnt have a back up plan. They increased the prices and lost 5 channels. You can blow on about its not UPCs fault but its not our fault either. Im paying the same now as I was 2 months ago with 5/6 less channels! That is not right. I dont care whos fault it is but I pay for a service and Im not satisfied!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

What's the big fuss? these channels are garbage.....90% of channels on both UPC and Sky are garbage.......repeat to fade :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

There was a lot of crap on those channels however there was the odd thing to watch. I hate having lots of crap channels however this is taking the piss now. UPC need to pull out a couple of channels and quick. Apartment living doesn't suit FTA however prob move soon and when I do it might be FTA, UPC keeping the BB 20gig obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

MOD EDIT: DON'T Discuss methods of bypassing restrictions on streaming services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

They should really bring back their CBS channels.

They are surprisingly good and I am amazed that UPC don't provide them considering their parent company owns a stake in them. They are also free on satellite.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sorry Zerks, I promised a 5 day ban for the next person who tried discussing bypassing of regional restrictions on this board, so I have to stick by the promise. Its illegal, so we can't discuss it here.

To the topic - it appears this is the work of TV3 yet again who seem intent on eliminating the competition by any means other than producing superior programming. UPC's announcement, particularly the "ITV were unable to agree to renew this deal on any terms" certainly seems to point in their direction. Thankfully UTV manages to survive and once again we have to be thankful its continuing seperate existance from ITV plc which no one could have predicted would still be the case given the push towards a single ITV in the late 1990s early 2000s. If UTV had been taken over by ITV plc, you can guarentee it too would have went as well.

Everytime we get a channel pulled from UPC, whether it is because it closed down (Channel One, Bravo, ABC1, and others), the carraige deal expires (ITV2/3/4 - this in fact being the SECOND time it has happened to ITV3), or whatever other reason, UPC seems to get the blame and we get the usual "I'm cancelling UPC because of this". Fact is that very few people choose a platform based on the availablity or lack thereof of one channel (though it may be a factor, and in the 1990s, and even up to about 2005 or so, I probably would not have picked a TV provider that did not have Sky One although my Sky One viewing these days is practically down to Soccer AM and not much else. I'm not the only one, people's viewing of Sky One has fallen from the stage where it was effectively the fifth UK terrestrial to now just being another cable channel).

You choose a provider based on a number of factors. Channel line up is among them. Price, availablity, interactive, broadband/phone combinations etc may also be among them. For me the reasons I pick UPC are:

- Channel line up - Availablity of the UK and Irish terrrestrials in the right order, most of the "good" cable channels even now with ITV2/3/4 gone.
    - EPG line-up. The Irish and UK terrestrials being at the top of the EPG instead of scattered or in "Add Channels"
    - Sports - Setanta Ireland and ESPN being available to non-premium customers is a big help.
    - Inertia - lets not forget this, but many UPC viewers have had cable for anything up to 30 years and changing to satellite is a big move.

Loss of ITV2/3/4 is not a big reason for me to move to Sky. If it is for you, by all means do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

ITV 2,3 & 4 were rubbish anyway, so no loss. Apart from the CBS channels and Five/Fiver what else is there for UPC to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Celebrity juuuuuuuuuuice! Nooooooooooooooo :(

The Orb wrote: »
    ITV 2,3 & 4 were rubbish anyway, so no loss. Apart from the CBS channels and Five/Fiver what else is there for UPC to get?

A number of uktv channels such as watch. Five seemed to want to stay away under rtl but this could change with their new owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Was just enjoying Batman on ITV2 when the screen went black.

In the menu caption where it usually gives a synopsis of the current programme says the following:

Are the ITVs gone?

Is this an April's Fool?

I rang and they said they lost the contract for those channels and that more are coming soon

• Advertisement

Whhheeeeeeeeeee, more shopping to do !! Maybe even Al Jazeera or something useful like that, it has been free on Astra for years,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭decies

Just noticed this tonight, it'd so bloody annoying that free sat viewers get these channels for nothing and none of this rights issue fit sports TDF etc. I hope tv3 go bust crap of a station anyway , the worst news service in western Europe !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I had a UPC rep call to me today and he wasn't even aware of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭decies

They should give their customers free dvr boxes !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

This is ridiculous. No warning and no chance of them coming back?! I'm starting to wonder why I'm even bothering with UPC now. If we didn't live in an apartment and had no other choice we'd be long gone.

As for TV3, they're nothing but a tabloid tv station. TV3 News like to knock on the doors of mothers of dead children the morning after they've died in a car crash and ask them how they're feeling :rolleyes: I refuse to watch that channel since that day. That's the kind of people that run TV3 so what more do we expect from them.

Oh how I look forward to the day that TV3 goes bust. It'll probably never happen but one can dream.

• Advertisement
Advertisement