Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC - ITV2, 3 & 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

just checked there upc have not set up any fake itv channels had all the rockys recorded from itv 4 no use now or will they set them up do you think

Was able to watch Magnum Force from ITV4 on the DVR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

Elmo wrote: »
    Was able to watch Magnum Force from ITV4 on the DVR.
    I watched a film I had recorded off ITV4 last night but today I am getting the "This programme was recorded from a channel to which you are no longer subscribed" message. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Be||e wrote: »
    I watched a film I had recorded off ITV4 last night but today I am getting the "This programme was recorded from a channel to which you are no longer subscribed" message. :mad:

The 3 ITV's where removed from the EPG this morning - I would imagine this was more of a reaction to further negative reaction and confusion from consumers and a reactionaty solution - unfortunately what was forgotten was that this impacts on any recordings to UPC's DVR devices.

So now we have an EPG full of gaps - what chance More+1 and Gold+1 being restored to 119 & 121 - and no sign of any new / replacement channels being added.

Can UPC turn this around ? I don't envisage a mass exodus to eg Sky - but its not going to inspire new customers which in the long term is to the detriment of all UPC subscribers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

didnt realize the folks watched one of the 3 removed channels quite a lot.

so as of now, a few weeks later no word on replacement channel's?

UPC SUCK.

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    so as of now, a few weeks later no word on replacement channel's?

4 more days and its a fortnight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭omerin

Made the switch to UPC late last year from Sky and Eircom. Giving serious thought to going back. So far my experience with UPC is a price increase and a reduction of channel choice. In the meantime Sky have offered me 1/2 price on a return and increased their channel choice.
    Was it not for their broadband the choice wouldn't be difficult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

omerin wrote: »
    Made the switch to UPC late last year from Sky and Eircom. Giving serious thought to going back. So far my experience with UPC is a price increase and a reduction of channel choice. In the meantime Sky have offered me 1/2 price on a return and increased their channel choice.
    Was it not for their broadband the choice wouldn't be difficult

You can actually get UPC broadband as a standalone product,I think there's a surcharge of €7.50 if you get it without the TV package,still a good deal combined with half price Sky.

It's pretty amazing the amount of UPC customers who believe you have to get the TV package in order to get their broadband-they make more money by signing people up to a bundle.Mixing and matching services can actually save money but the Irish mentality is "Ah sure it's all in the one bill", even if it works out more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

tonyheaney wrote: »
    wanna swap box's? no prob and as for itv4 it should have been called ITVMovies :D:p

Why not ITV Sport instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

That wouldn't be a good idea after the last ITV Sport channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I really hope UPC bring the +1 channels back alongside their parent channels too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I really hope UPC bring the +1 channels back alongside their parent channels too.

Then they wouldn't sell DVRs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭DUB777

Dodge wrote: »
    Then they wouldn't sell DVRs

While you mention DVR's, do you know if there is a way to copy stuff from a dvr on to something to watch on a laptop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭ted1

they don't sell DVR's....... +1 channels are a waste of space.

DUB777 wrote: »
    While you mention DVR's, do you know if there is a way to copy stuff from a dvr on to something to watch on a laptop?

Only possible way that I know of is to record on to a DVD via a DVD recorder, but there is probable some better way off doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Ok I filled out the customer support form on saturday stating I wanted to downgrade my current package which is the landline, the channels and 20mb broadband for 60 euro, here is their response

"Thank you for your recent email.
    Please be advised that the charge of the Fibre Power Broadband 10MB pack is €25.00 per month but before I bring this request to the attention to our Customer Loyalty team for the cancellation of your Digital TV and Telephone service, I would like to take this opportunity to advise that you are still within the 12 months of your contract, so you will be charged €99.99 for incontract cancellation fee thats a once off charge.
    A €8.00 standalone charge is automatically added to broadband accounts who no longer subscribe to UPC’s television service.
    Please note that all downgrades are subject to a charge of €10.00(once off charge).
    Please confirm if you wish to proceed with the downgrade of services and the cancellation of your Digital TV and Telephone Service.
    I trust that this is to your satisfaction and thank you for your valued custom.
    For more helpful information, please visit the Customer Support section of our website.
    If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
    Shabnam

UPC Customer Care"

So let me get this straight , I will have to pay 110 euro for cancellation and 33 euro a month for 10mb broadband, its nearly not worth downgrading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭JDxtra

From todays Irish Times...
    UPC’s loss of channels spoils a reader’s viewing

Colin Rogan is just one of several UPC customers who contacted us in connection with UPC’s recent dropping of several channels.

“I was surprised that on April 1st UPC dropped ITV2, ITV3, and ITV4 channels without notice,” he writes. “They say that they were in negotiations with ITV to renew the contract on these channels when it expired on March 31st but these failed.”

Several programmes on these channels, such as ITV2’s Kerry Katona: The Next Chapter are not available elsewhere.

He said it is “very unsatisfactory” that many series that were in the middle of being watched on these channels are now not available and he says it is “a concern that other channels that are currently part of the UPC service may also similarly be dropped without notice”.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

JDxtra wrote: »

No more "Kerry Katona: The Next Chapter"? So there are some positives to take out of this.

i miss celebrity juice :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Irish Times love printing negative UPC stories.. you begin to wonder, do they have shares with Sky :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

A €8.00 standalone charge is automatically added to broadband accounts who no longer subscribe to UPC’s television service.

Am I reading this correctly, it's an extra €8 per month to have broadband only with UPC?

If so they obviously know that people are ditching them to go elsewhere for tv services, but just keeping the broadband.

Can they actually do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Yeah, of course they can. loads of companies have bundled services.

Back when it was NTL, you couldn't even get broadband if you weren't signed up for their TV service

angel01 wrote: »
    Irish Times love printing negative UPC stories.. you begin to wonder, do they have shares with Sky :rolleyes:

Very lack luster negative UPC story TBH.

Irish times editor mentions contact made with unhappy UPC customer.

Why? What? Where? When? How? seem to be ignored.

The 8EURO charge should give you access to the Irish Channels in Digital.

Col200sx wrote: »
    Can they actually do that?

Of course they can. It would be rather foolish of them not to.

€7.75 surcharge if broadband is taken as a standalone product. http://www.upc.ie/broadband/
    Price shown is when added to an existing TV connection. Otherwise a Fibre Power Broadband Standalone Charge of €7.75 a month applies.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Of course they can. It would be rather foolish of them not to.

So what your saying is, that is if I have this right, that UPC charge some kind of, oh how should we put it, a line rental charge :eek:

What I am saying is, you pay full price if you don't want television or you pay a discounted price if you do take television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭JDxtra

So what your saying is, that is if I have this right, that UPC charge some kind of, oh how should we put it, a line rental charge :eek:

No. Think of it this way - customers with two or more services receive a discount. It's simply an incentive for BB only customers to take the TV service.

No. Think of it this way - customers with two or more services receive a discount. It's simply an incentive for BB only customers to take the TV service.

Ah so its an "incentive" for people who have only BB to take up TV, bit of a horse before the cart surely those with TV (as it came first) should get a discount if they pick up Phone and BB not the other way around!

I will simply call it a Line Rental Charge.

I assume that there Irish TV channels on Digital are Free Over Cable! (I am guessing analogue connection remains work?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I assume that there Irish TV channels on Digital are Free Over Cable! (I am guessing analogue connection remains work?)

upc own their own network and as it is a closed network they do not have any free channels.

if you want analogue you should pay for it.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    upc own their own network and as it is a closed network they do not have any free channels.

if you want analogue you should pay for it.

But you are paying 8 euro extra if you only have Broadband when you "don't pay" for their TV service, surely that 8 euro should provide at the very least the 4 FTA Irish channels.

The 8euro extra is not an "incentive" it is a line rental fee imposed on UPC broadband customers that do not take up Digital TV.

Sorry if ye want to dress it up as an "incentive" you go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭dunworth1

But you are paying 8 euro extra if you only have Broadband when you "don't pay" for their TV service, surely that 8 euro should provide at the very least the 4 FTA Irish channels.

The 8euro extra is not an "incentive" it is a line rental fee imposed on UPC broadband customers that do not take up Digital TV.

Sorry if ye want to dress it up as an "incentive" you go ahead.

its a charge for broadband not tv so i dont see how you would get any channels.

you pay line rental for a phoneline if we go by what you have said surly that money should provide at the very least 1mb broadband

• Advertisement

dunworth1 wrote: »
    its a charge for broadband not tv so i dont see how you would get any channels.

you pay line rental for a phoneline if we go by what you have said surly that money should provide at the very least 1mb broadband

Well it shouldn't be charged but that is another discussion.

Eircom always had a Line rental charge before they had Broadband. Cable Companies never had a line rental charge, one of the so called pluses of UPC.

Indeed it is a charge for Broadband only not an "incentive", badly advertised, but then UPC really don't want BB only customers.

As they are national services they should be provided Free over cable but then that is another discussion. And they are still charging you 34% of your Digital TV subscription, you would think that they would provide their customers with some TV, including their "Info TV" to advertising what their BB only customers are missing! now their is an incentive and good business IMO.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We've been through this before. Nothing is free on cable.

TBH it is looking like this thread has run its course, as I haven't seen any combination of the letters "I T V" in the last 15 replies, but if anyone wants to convince me otherwise...in other words, back on topic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

"ITV" is a joke of a channel :P

icdg wrote: »
    We've been through this before. Nothing is free on cable.

TBH it is looking like this thread has run its course, as I haven't seen any combination of the letters "I T V" in the last 15 replies, but if anyone wants to convince me otherwise...in other words, back on topic...

I though I read here on boards that RTÉ 1 went out on UPC unencrypted or something in one of the Saorview forums.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71596683&postcount=260

???????? Also AFAIK UPC provide analogue RTÉ 1, 2, TV3 and TG4 in cork unencrypted, and AFAIK my neighbour is robbing analogue cable from me :( unencrypted. Also note that BB only customers pay 35% of there TV sub not to have Digital TV with UPC, so technically you even have to pay for nothing on Cable!

The whole thing is in relation to UPC/ITV disregard for their subscribers. Keep it open we might find something more out in the mean time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I though I read here on boards that RTÉ 1 went out on UPC unencrypted or something in one of the Saorview forums.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71596683&postcount=260

???????? Also AFAIK UPC provide analogue RTÉ 1, 2, TV3 and TG4 in cork unencrypted, and AFAIK my neighbour is robbing analogue cable from me :( unencrypted. Also note that BB only customers pay 35% of there TV sub not to have Digital TV with UPC, so technically you even have to pay for nothing on Cable!

On every UPC system other than Cork (which no longer has an analogue service except for the four terrestrials) the analogue service is unencrypted. That doesn't mean free. You still have to pay for it. If you don't UPC are within their rights to send a service agent to cut the cable to your property. Whether or not they actually decide to do that is up to them.

Anyone know anything about the questions below?
    Have a pain in my @ss with UPC's antics. Internet keeps going, tv isn't working:mad:
    Sick of spending money on something im not getting.

Is saorview really free?
    Is it worth getting rid of UPC to get it?
    Do you get many channels?
    Is the reception decent??

Have a pain in my @ss with UPC's antics. Internet keeps going, tv isn't working:mad:

Is saorview really free?

Saorview is a replacement for Terrestrial Analogue TV. And Terrestrial Digital TV has taken 10 years to get off the ground. It doesn't provide you with any of the UK Terrestrial Channel you will need a Satellite system to receive them and in some areas spillover from FreeView.

Saorview's current line up includes RTÉ 1, RTÉ 2 (in upscaled HD), TV3, TG4, RTÉ News Now (repeats of RTÉ News programming) and 3e, it also broadcasts the 10 RTÉ Digital Radio Stations. We are told that on May 11th that RTÉjr (07:00 - 19:00)/RTÉ 1 +1 (19:00 - 02:00) will launch, while Sports and Imports on RTÉ 2 will begin to be broadcast in HD from September 2011.

7 TV Channels, 1 digtial teletext service and 10 Radio Stations.

The BAI are in the process of launching a campaign for more channels, some will be on the current Public Service Free to air mux and then for some reason the BAI beleive that a Pay TV service (including the main UK channels) will work along side Saorview. This is expected by 2013, however it was expected by 2008 and is unlikely to happen. (I do believe or at least hope that new FTA Irish channels will launch).

The reception is excellent. And yes it is free of any subscriptions, all you need is an MPEG4/MHEG5 Digital TV Set (IdTV) or Set Top Box (STB) and an aerial (best either attic or outdoor but there are better people on boards that can provide you with more details, I have hear people picking up the service through "Rabbits Ears").

Is saorview really free?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056234645 All you need to know about Freesat/FTA tv.

http://www.saorview.ie/ Combine this with a Freesat/FTA system for tv with no more bills.If you want more choice join Sky. Picture on satellite is superior to UPC.The picture from Saorview is top notch,RTE2 is part time HD and generally upscaled to HD so is far superior to your UPC picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Gonna try grab their attention for a while (UPC that is).
    Put a bit of an "Open Letter" (more of a rant really) together for them over here:
    http://www.techtv101.com/uncategorized_an-open-letter-to-upc-ireland

If I've left anything out or if there's anything incorrect there, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Posted this previously in a different thread but just seen this one.

ITV has the rights to Euro 2012 Qualifiers, International football friendlies and Champions League football, and many of these games were shown on ITV 1/2/3 on UPC in the past. A few weeks back I was able to watch Slovenia v Italy live on ITV3 (and it was not be shown on any other channel, I may add). Now these channels have been removed from my service without notice. Not happy at all.

BTW, nice open letter to UPC, belmulletman, stick it to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Gonna try grab their attention for a while (UPC that is).
    Put a bit of an "Open Letter" (more of a rant really) together for them over here:
    http://www.techtv101.com/uncategorized_an-open-letter-to-upc-ireland

If I've left anything out or if there's anything incorrect there, please let me know.
    It's fewer channels, not 'less' channels :)

Alun wrote: »
    It's fewer channels, not 'less' channels :)

Cheers... noted and changed! :)

Good News... UPC have gotten back in touch. Supposedly, "Management" will be getting in touch shortly! Will keep you posted as to what's being said / going on!

Update HERE

56.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

Amazing how they can abbreviate "thanks" to "tks" and mis-spell a short word like "your" to "you", yet type out the word "management" in full!
    :D

They are a useless shower of monkeys UPC.
    The service we have being getting pays credence to the saying
    "Pay peanuts & you'll get monkeys". If we get disconnected again I'll be signing up with someone else. Have a pain in the @55 with all these disconnections, its gotten to the point where its costing me money now because i cant access my emails. Im fed up with their shananagans.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭sataction

Keep the pressure up. If TV3 is the cause of losing ITV 2/3/4 why are they still advertising on it.

sataction wrote: »
    Keep the pressure up. If TV3 is the cause of losing ITV 2/3/4 why are they still advertising on it.

How do you mean why are they still advertising on it?

TV3 want to have exclusive rights to the extra ITV spin off shows thus boosting their audience. Why do you think they are interested in Big Brother 12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Roland27 wrote: »
    Posted this previously in a different thread but just seen this one.

ITV has the rights to Euro 2012 Qualifiers, International football friendlies and Champions League football, and many of these games were shown on ITV 1/2/3 on UPC in the past. A few weeks back I was able to watch Slovenia v Italy live on ITV3 (and it was not be shown on any other channel, I may add). Now these channels have been removed from my service without notice. Not happy at all.

BTW, nice open letter to UPC, belmulletman, stick it to them.

ITV4 is the sports channel, ITV3 is middle-brow drama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

I am beginning to think 'Soon' is the parent companies translation of 'Never' :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 brianof

Well according to the UPC salesman who was hilariously trying to make me switch from Sky the other day, they'll be getting the extra ITVs back in May. He was taken aback that I was even able to throw that one at him in the first place :D It must be soul-destroying knowing you're trying to hock an inferior product.

Advertisement