Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography Forum Relocation

• 01-04-2011 12:23am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Boards.ie will soon be rationalising some of the less active forums. As such the Photography forum will be moving into the Tech Category and will become a Sub-Forum of the Computers & Technology Forum.

It seems that our current Sub-Forums will be combined with the main Forum.

Discussions are still being held about Moderation. It may all be placed under the team already in place on C&T.

More will be posted here when available.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

That's a step in the wrong direction. Photography (in the right hands) is an art. Just one opinion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

indeed, I fail to see the logic of an art form placed in a tech forum

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This was talked about ages ago, nearly forgot all about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

its clearly technology you point the camera and press a button, the computer does the work then you use anothner computer to correct the mistakes.

mabey it used to be art but now its about processor power

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tigger wrote: »
    its clearly technology you point the camera and press a button, the computer does the work then you use anothner computer to correct the mistakes.

It's not just that. A lot of stuff that gets posted is about the equipment, which camera, lens etc. There are also some discussion related to software used for photography so it really does sit well in comp and tech.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Tigger wrote: »

... i'll assume you left the sarcastic smiley out there

oh...

whoops

disapproval1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Hmmm... I really don't like that idea, I have to say. Then again, it's just semantics, I doubt the people posting will change terribly much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Down with this sort of thing!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

daycent wrote: »

Careful now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

This has been discussed for a while on a fairly high level. It's primarily due to the forum as it stand being swamped with tech-related threads. The 'photography' forum as it stands will be moved tp it's natural place, underneath the tech forum, and a 'Film Photography' forum setup under arts, moderated by myself and a few of the other regulars on the forum. It's a much more natural fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

RANDOM Code XXV1!1 - Do NOT quote COBOL - 800LineNumbers LONG_side(Var)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

This has been discussed for a while on a fairly high level. It's primarily due to the forum as it stand being swamped with tech-related threads. The 'photography' forum as it stands will be moved tp it's natural place, underneath the tech forum, and a 'Film Photography' forum setup under arts, moderated by myself and a few of the other regulars on the forum. It's a much more natural fit.

I'd have to agree with this. It's the only reasonable way we can progress the forum, the community and the artform. There's too much sniping and nastyness towards those trying to further the art of film photography here on Boards.ie

As someone who has been here a long time and contributed a lot, I would appreciate if this was done sooner rather than later, the admins have been beating around the bush for long enough with this.
    In fairness, no. This needs to happen. We need a two tiered system for the photography forums, a higher tier, a bourgeois, aristocratic group of film users who know what they're doing, and the common digital photographer/plebs. I know this might be a bit hard for a lot of people to comprehend, but I've put together a rather detailed diagram (picture with words) here for you to understand - filmphotographer-digitalphotographer.pdf

Rgd's.
    Albert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

As one of a growing number of camera obscura users, I was wondering if we could have our own sub forum?

Fajitas! wrote: »

A PDF ??!? Banned.
    Prenderb wrote: »
    As one of a growing number of camera obscura users, I was wondering if we could have our own sub forum?

No. Also, you're banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I think it'll be great to move all those film snobs out of the photography section. :D

It's not like there's anything technical to do with taking a film photo. No need to set shutter speed, aperture, and then watch the mechanics of the camera take an exposure when you press that magic shutter button.

Oh wait ... that happens in digital cameras too. :eek:

:D

What would you sports happy snappers know about the magic of the darkroom?
    No need to set shutter speed, aperture
    My 10x8 disagrees. Moderators, THIS is why the forums need to be seperated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I don't know, seems a bit irrational to just lump *all* film photographers together? I mean.. 35mm? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I think better categorisation is needed. Digital with sub forums of canon, nikon, sony, pentax etc.... and film, with sub categories of format type and then brand and possibly even film with the aim being a highly specified streamlined forum where anyone can search for exactly what they want.

sineadw wrote: »
    I don't know, seems a bit irrational to just lump *all* film photographers together? I mean.. 35mm? Really?

Hey, listen here, 4x5 girl, I know you have to try and feel superior to SOMEONE given your chosen format is just so ... wee ...

8x10 FTW !

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    What would you sports happy snappers know about the magic of the darkroom?

The dark room is where I go to sleep after a successful day at some sporting events. Plenty of magic happens in that room. ;)

Paulw wrote: »
    Plenty of magic happens in that room. ;)

When you're out working? Or when you're asleep? I'd be getting worried :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

I for one welcome our new techy overlords

tumblr_l5j9fedy6z1qzzxaqo1_400.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

About time! Luckily the notice was posted on serious day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

spaghetti-trees.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

About time all those pretentious luddites who get high on the fumes of their fix(ers) were farmed off to their own coral.
    I prefer my photography with a bit of Byte in it, although I don't want to RAM my opinions down other peoples' throats. Maybe these comments should be in the RANDOM thread - I don't want to put a HEX on this thread. As for all the SERIAL posters, relax, we can run film and digital in PARALLEL, maybe even virtualise the synergies in a CLOUD or MATRIX.

HAL

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

pete4130 wrote: »
    I think better categorisation is needed. Digital with sub forums of canon, nikon, sony, pentax etc.... and film, with sub categories of format type and then brand and possibly even film with the aim being a highly specified streamlined forum where anyone can search for exactly what they want.

I think that's too many categories - it should be limited to just two - "Canon" & "Others".

I think that's too many categories - it should be limited to just two - "Canon" & "Others".

No, I have to totally disagree.

There should only be Canon.

Paulw wrote: »
    No, I have to totally disagree.

There should only be Canon.

We should just ban discussion of DSLRs. We'd be doing the members of the forum a favour as they're a fecking rip off. Look at this 14MP digital camera aldi are doing for €80 (http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_16325.htm). Whereas you could spend 500 sterling on this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-SLR-Camera-Kit/dp/B001G5ZBMU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1301675029&sr=1-1) and it's only a 10MP. What a rip off.

• Advertisement

CabanSail wrote: »

have we been had? technically this was posted on April 1st but I was still in March 31st mindset. course you were righteously out of bed being in Oz. Yeah, guess it's an April Fool's ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Could we not just move the photography forum to somewhere where it can once again be a photography forum ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Hugh_C wrote: »
    have we been had? technically this was posted on April 1st but I was still in March 31st mindset. course you were righteously out of bed being in Oz. Yeah, guess it's an April Fool's ...

Is it a joke? I'm finding it hard to tell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Look at this 14MP digital camera aldi are doing for €80 (http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_16325.htm).
    that's brilliant.
    if even 80% of your photo is ****, it leaves you with 2.8 megapixels of good pixels, which is good enough for a 6"x4" print.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Imo Photography in itself is an art, If it be film or not, A photography forum is about asking about the gear to use, but what about those who actually want to post images of their art, if it be film or digital whats the sense in having two different forums for it; and if they do want C&C on their digital pics, then they are hardly going to fit in with C&T. Also, if a film one is made, then on that there is also going to be topics on the Tech behind it, and the differences across all the gear, its no different!

Just my 2c

Prenderb wrote: »

Only if we can have a separate sub forum for left-eyed people like myself who only shoot at f/5.6 while singing Jedward numbers backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

This may have been an Aprils fool joke...

Considering Tony was 11 hours ahead of us when it was posted I think he was rather premature, huh? I read it when it was still Mar 31st in my mind.
    ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Only saw this thread today and nearly had a heart attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

phew....also saw this just now and reading through I was thinking please be an april fools joke :rolleyes: I like the art and tech mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hugh_C wrote: »
    Only if we can have a separate sub forum for left-eyed people like myself who only shoot at f/5.6 while singing Jedward numbers backwards.

Oh my Goood ! I'm left eyed and only shoot at f/5.6 can I join ? I can learn the Jedwards thing.

edit : I think the change would be OK. I mean, any time one of us digital users would move on to film we could have a goodbye party, kindalike an American wake sort of thing, we'd all pay tribute to how great they were while they were with us. And then when we'd have moved on to "t'other side" we could reminisce on our innocence back then, when we were using digital, when we didn't know any better... and take a nostalgic (unregistered) glimpse at the old comp&tech forum once in a while, just to see is anyone about to "come of age".
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I don't really mind where the photography forum ends up - we all live in interweb & bit.ly land & can link to it....

However... As a subscriber I have the following questions:

- Are you asking us or telling us?
    (ie, are you being polite & telling us that our doom is sealed, or is this an RFC?)

- Is there a roadmap available of the overall rationalisation that is being considered? Hard to comment without seeing the bigger picture..

- And, finally, The photo forum is very well modded, IMO. I hope that no matter what happens to the URL that we shall still keep the same standard of modding ( And, I hope, the same Moderators)

Rgds, FoxT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

oops - RFC = Request for comment, had a nerdy moment there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Christ, i never noticed this thread untill now, and was about to take on the might of Fajitas over his film snobbery...thank god i read on and realised what was happening......One of us would have looked a right fool! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

We should just ban discussion of DSLRs. We'd be doing the members of the forum a favour as they're a fecking rip off. Look at this 14MP digital camera aldi are doing for €80 (http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_16325.htm). Whereas you could spend 500 sterling on this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digital-SLR-Camera-Kit/dp/B001G5ZBMU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1301675029&sr=1-1) and it's only a 10MP. What a rip off.

Yea! Because mega-pixels are everything.
    :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Thanks to all who have joined in here.

I think some of you were had, and others worked it out and played along.

The old Canon has bought Nikon announcement has been done. Needed to come up with something that was more subtle and believable, though probably a bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Thanks to all who have joined in here.

I think some of you were had, and others worked it out and played along.

The old Canon has bought Nikon announcement has been done. Needed to come up with something that was more subtle and believable, though probably a bad idea.

What? Canon bought Nikon?????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

I think some of you were had

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Good one Tony. I'm just catching up here after being away for a while. See you haven't lost the sense of humour :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Boards.ie will soon be rationalising some of the less active forums. As such the Photography forum will be moving into the Tech Category and will become a Sub-Forum of the Computers & Technology Forum.

It seems that our current Sub-Forums will be combined with the main Forum.

Discussions are still being held about Moderation. It may all be placed under the team already in place on C&T.

Wait, what?

There is no way this is one of the 'less active' forums

Moving this to computers & tech is a step in the wrong direction

Doesn't matter if a camera is technology or not, you wouldn't put painting in woodwork because thats what the brushes are made of!

I agree that maybe the sub forums could be merged, but the rest makes no sense to me

edit: bastards, I thought this thread was started today :p

And I made a very convincing argument

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Good one Tony. I'm just catching up here after being away for a while. See you haven't lost the sense of humour :D

Welcome back Phil.

Some things have tested it of late, but not Lost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement