Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ministerial Briefing

Options
  • 01-04-2011 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the date, but this one isn't an April Fool's prank.

From the DoJ website, the new Minister's briefing. Looking at the firearms section is interesting:

153650.png

153651.png

153652.png

153653.png

There are redactions above, the reasons for them were given in an appendix:

153654.png

The notes on the test cases in the High Court should seem fairly obviously important to the pistol shooters, and the notes on the drafting of the Explosives Act should be of interest to those looking at handloading; it's disappointing that the restatement of the Firearms Act that has been promised for so long isn't on the document as a priority, but hopefully that won't stop it being done; and equally, it'd be bloody useful to see the muzzle energy limit for airguns raised, but it's nowhere to be seen in there. :( Very much a wait-and-see time for us right now, methinks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

Dam ,Hope it all works out .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I think it's fairly self-evident, but that's an enormous raft of legislation. Not doubting that it will be, but I really hope due attention is given to it all. Of course, all the groundwork will have been long since laid by the permanent government apparatus. Hopefully we see some real benefits in the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Be intresting to see if DOJ /AGS actually comply with this motion for discovery today,as they were holding this whole procedure up with their usual gerrymandering obfusticating and stalling.:rolleyes:

One important one we missed is this EU[typical] totaliarian directive on more data on firearms.
    Dont know about you ,but I havent a clue when my guns were imported into the country.
    Should be intresting too when some guns are over 100 years old out there.Nor do they mention this will also apply to COMPONENT parts as well..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    One important one we missed is this EU[typical] totaliarian directive on more data on firearms.
    It's not totalitarian, it's actually a good thing because it's pushing the europass more. If the europass was adopted here as envisaged by europe, we wouldn't need people to go get full Irish licences to come shoot here in matches - I can see the Creedmoor organisers, Fermoy's international organisers, and a dozen other groups welcoming that with open arms, not to mention people like FLOYDSTER who have all manner of fun coming here to shoot. The whole bit where the directive explicitly states that us (meaning sportspeople) shouldn't be infringed upon by the bits in the directive aimed at people selling arms to countries under UN blockade and the like, was kindof positive really...

And the bit in there about the upgrades needed was more to do with the amount of time the records need to be maintained after a sale of firearms, which is longer than the AGS is set up for at the moment, if I understand this right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[QUOTE=Sparks;71468568
    ]It's not totalitarian, it's actually a good thing because it's pushing the europass more. If the europass was adopted here as envisaged by europe, we wouldn't need people to go get full Irish licences to come shoot here in matches - I can see the Creedmoor organisers, Fermoy's international organisers, and a dozen other groups welcoming that with open arms, not to mention people like FLOYDSTER who have all manner of fun coming here to shoot.

Thats the only positive side of it.
    The whole bit where the directive explicitly states that us (meaning sportspeople) shouldn't be infringed upon by the bits in the directive aimed at people selling arms to countries under UN blockade and the like, was kindof positive really...

That the spirt of it.BUT as usual it has spilled over into the civillian side of things.It is the same with ITARs ,very positive to prevent sales of arms to 3rd world dictatorships,but has virtually crippled the US civillian arms market of exports.How many threads have we had heree about scopes not being exportable??This is the same sort of happy crappy legislation pending in Europe..And its not new either,this has been in the pipeline since 2008.As I said,how will you prove when your gun was imported in what year,AND provide offical paperwork to back this up too??Gun dealers,retiring??Certainly..But you will be obliged to keep ALL transaction books for up to TEN years after you have closed up shop...
    Devil is in the detail as usual .

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizz, you've been required to keep records for six years since before either of us started shooting.

Just submit the books to the Gardai or the National Archives if you close the doors, simple as. Then it's an SEP.

Advertisement