Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Drivers ...Is it just me

Options
  • 01-04-2011 8:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Maybe I have been away for too long but I reckon the standard of driving here is worse in general than Ireland.

The things I notice

1: Takes drivers too long to pull of the lights. Or racing off them over revving.

2: Use of Fog lights for "cool" purposes BTW its illegal

3: Hooning

4: Speed ... once they do pull off the lights they speed to make up the gap.

5: The worst is for such a staged licence process the number of young drivers killing themseves. This week has been shocking in Melbourne

Any thoughts .?>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I think the standard in Sydney is terrible, it's everyone for themselves!

I live on a one way road, and it is very tight for parallel parking, the amount of times I put on the lights for parking and suddenly some d*ck decides to start beeping or even moving forward so I cannot move back!

I know we have a culture of little boy racers in Ireland, but in Oz it seems to be big boy racers! Drive up George st on a saturday night and it is bumper to bumper of knobs in their supped up Subaru.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

hussey wrote: »
    I think the standard in Sydney is terrible, it's everyone for themselves!

I live on a one way road, and it is very tight for parallel parking, the amount of times I put on the lights for parking and suddenly some d*ck decides to start beeping or even moving forward so I cannot move back!

I know we have a culture of little boy racers in Ireland, but in Oz it seems to be big boy racers! Drive up George st on a saturday night and it is bumper to bumper of knobs in their supped up Subaru.

agreed , sydney drivers are shocking , speeding , hooning, all round agressive driving, the amount of people that drink drive is unreal , doing 120k in the left lane of the motorway.

they will drive around you rather than give you 5 seconds to park your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Hehe, nice April fools, almost had me.

Hehe, worse than Ireland. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

I have driven in many countries around the world, and In Australia I find they are quite impatient, they speed and they never let you out and often cut you off.. It is a cultural thing and it is the same in the US.

I think there are plenty of bad drivers at home, but you look out for it more here I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

What's Hooning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Poly wrote: »
    What's Hooning?

F**king around and making a nuisance of yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

It came from the noise they make as they pass originally.

hooooooooooonHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNhoooooooooooonnnnnn

Same with the DoofMobiles.

doofdoofdoofdoofDOOFDOOFDOOFDOOFDOOFDOOFdoofdoofdoofdoofdoof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

It's definitely worse in NZ than in Ireland although I'm used to it now. My kiwi OH agrees, he lived in Ireland for a few years and really noticed it when we came back here.

There was actually an article in one of the papers about it recently. Apparently a number of Europeans notice it when they move to NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

It often happens that people think countries other than their own are worse drivers, because you focus on the negatives.
    Every country has its own driving style. The Aussies are very good when it comes to roundabout etiquette, courteous when it comes to cyclists and are quite defensive drivers in general.
    Go to any big city in the world on a Saturday night and you'll get some form of d1ckheads kicking around, be it in modified cars, motorbikes or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

been here a few months and noticed a lot of that alright, also when your crossing the road (not at a green man crossing) they seem to speed up like they actually want to hit you, mental. im expecting to get hit going to work any day now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

There should be no standards. Every man for himself. As long as this is bashing through the speakers I can drive anywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

This made me laugh..... Looking forward to this show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Lurching wrote: »
    It often happens that people think countries other than their own are worse drivers, because you focus on the negatives.
    Every country has its own driving style. The Aussies are very good when it comes to roundabout etiquette, courteous when it comes to cyclists and are quite defensive drivers in general.
    Go to any big city in the world on a Saturday night and you'll get some form of d1ckheads kicking around, be it in modified cars, motorbikes or whatever.
    Don't know about NSW but here right of way rests with the vehicle on the roundabout as opposed to the right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

From what I saw NZ was bad but in a kind of innocent way but **** me Sydney is un real. They do not give a **** and would drive over you then give way, no manners and have contempt for everyone else on the road incl cyclists and pedestrians. So yea Ireland>NZ>OZ for me. Worst drivers I have ever seen..well next to those in Vietnam anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I would describe Sydney having an aggressive style of driving, but I learned to drive in a city environment so am well able for it. I think it's great that they make inexperienced drivers wear P plates, it tells you to be particularly wary of them. Lots of nut cases around though, including big rig drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Standard is definitely worse than Ireland from what Ive seen/experience in Melbourne.

Much more aggressive than Irish drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

Zambia wrote: »
    Maybe I have been away for too long but I reckon the standard of driving here is worse in general than Ireland.

The things I notice

1: Takes drivers too long to pull of the lights. Or racing off them over revving.

2: Use of Fog lights for "cool" purposes BTW its illegal

3: Hooning

4: Speed ... once they do pull off the lights they speed to make up the gap.

5: The worst is for such a staged licence process the number of young drivers killing themseves. This week has been shocking in Melbourne

Any thoughts .?>

I concur.

Very little manners in general, disreguard for cyclists and speed limits.

Very much hoon culture and every man for himself on the road..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Yep I agree - as does my wife. Standard is driving is appalling, but I don't think the roads or signage help. Don't think its a case of people only focusing on the negative aspects either - am always impressed when I drive in the UK.

Actually, as a related aside - even my bus driver tried to reverse down the off-ramp back onto the motorway the other evening after he managed to take a wrong turn. We ended up on a mystery tour of the lower north shore until we were back up where we were meant to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I've been the on the bus so many times when it's gone the wrong way. I always worry first that I've got on the wrong bus until everyone starts shouting at the bus driver!

In NZ the weird right of way rules (at a T junction right of way is given to the person turning right, not left) mean there's a lot of confusion on the roads which I think contributes to standard of the driving. They are changing it but not for a year so nobody knows whose right of way it is and it's all up in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I think the single worst thing about drivers out here is the serious lack of indicators and lads just pulling out in front of you. Drives me mental. :mad:

Advertisement