Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircoms archaic upload speeds

Options
  • 01-04-2011 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I'm happy with eircoms service but why are their upload speeds so bad compaired to their down load speeds?
    I have 8mb download but 30kbs upload and the last 2 packages i had were also 30kbs upload , this makes things quiet difficult trying to upload large files , nearly 3hrs for 1gb.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

zeds alive wrote: »
    I'm happy with eircoms service but why are their upload speeds so bad compaired to their down load speeds?
    I have 8mb download but 30kbs upload and the last 2 packages i had were also 30kbs upload , this makes things quiet difficult trying to upload large files , nearly 3hrs for 1gb.

Upload speeds are normally only a small portion of possible download speeds- though 30kbps is taking the piss (I handily get almost 600kbps on my mobile phone when I use it tethered).

Contact customer services- something odd is happening somewhere- 30kbps isn't even analogue modem speed........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

its only gonna get worse given that eircom is 3.8bil in debt and no money for investment in their infrastructure

its only gonna get worse given that eircom is 3.8bil in debt and no money for investment in their infrastructure

They have allowed their infrastructure to deteriorate (aka- if you read the annual reports- the rate of depreciation of current infrastructure has greatly exceeded the rate of investment in new infrastructure) for literally years. Its nothing new. This has only peripheral significance to the OP's problem- his upload rate isn't even dialup speed (never mind broadband). Something is askew in his connection. I would hazard a guess that after a little relevant troubleshooting- that he should notice a significant improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

smccarrick wrote: »
    They have allowed their infrastructure to deteriorate (aka- if you read the annual reports- the rate of depreciation of current infrastructure has greatly exceeded the rate of investment in new infrastructure) for literally years. Its nothing new. This has only peripheral significance to the OP's problem- his upload rate isn't even dialup speed (never mind broadband). Something is askew in his connection. I would hazard a guess that after a little relevant troubleshooting- that he should notice a significant improvement.

opps , my mistake its 384kbs

this is my package

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bundles/17013105/13/

but still 384kbs is pretty old skool

opps , my mistake its 384kbs

this is my package

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bundles/17013105/13/

but still 384kbs is pretty old skool

Ok- thats more like it. You're not going to break any landspeed records with that- but then this is ADSL broadband. I've a 30Mb package myself- aka over 4 times faster than yours- however when I was signing up- the contention ratio was far more important to me than the headline speeds...... I am guessing you've probably got a reasonably high contention ratio.

Is your upload speed the same at all times of day- or does it get better or worse at times?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi smccarrick,

Can you private message me with your telephone number and I will check the upload speeds you have been getting.

Thanks, Mark

Hi smccarrick,

Can you private message me with your telephone number and I will check the upload speeds you have been getting.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark-

I've no probs- the OP in this thread with the upload issue is 'zeds alive'

Kind regards,

Shane

Hi zeds alive,

Sorry if yo PM me your telephone number I'll look into your upload speeds.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark-

I've no probs- the OP in this thread with the upload issue is 'zeds alive'

Kind regards,

Shane

Hi Shane,

Apologies...

To eager :p I guess

Mark

Advertisement