Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenhouse recommendations

Options
  • 01-04-2011 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

So my dad recently upgaded his greenhouse from aluminium and glass to polycarbonite frame and plastic/pvc 'windows'. It cost 850 for quite a large one, though I am unsure of the dimensions. Unfortunately the storm of two nights ago destroyed it. It is now absolutely beyond repair. The insurance company is humming and hawing, acts of God etc, but he may get some of the money back.

I was wondering could anyone give a recommendation on a greenhouse design that can withstand the often harsh and strong wind the west of Ireland experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

syklops wrote: »
    So my dad recently upgaded his greenhouse from aluminium and glass to polycarbonite frame and plastic/pvc 'windows'. It cost 850 for quite a large one, though I am unsure of the dimensions. Unfortunately the storm of two nights ago destroyed it. It is now absolutely beyond repair. The insurance company is humming and hawing, acts of God etc, but he may get some of the money back.

I was wondering could anyone give a recommendation on a greenhouse design that can withstand the often harsh and strong wind the west of Ireland experiences?

Aluminium and glass holds up well. Most of the commercial greenhouses are manufactured out of Aluminium with glass and they are very high buildings. But in a bad winter you will still lose one or two panes because the frame can twist. Has he tried setting up a wind break on the most exposed side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I should point out that he has had a greenhouse for as long as I have known him, up til now always aluminium.

In the mid-nineties we had a spate of storms, so bad that the garden shed, filled with wood and a lawn mower blew over the wall and across 2 fields, and most of the greenhouse survived, that said it lost panes.

The new one was situated in the same place and had a secure concrete plinth so seemed sturdy enough. It just seems that the polycarbonite is not strong enough. I also pointed out to him that the pvc/plastic panels have no give in them at all where as the glass would have flexed a bit, or even broken, so the entire greenhouse resisted the wind, but also acted like a sail, and it was too much for it.

Does anyone have a wooden greenhouse? How do you find them? I am thinking we could maybe design and build our own wooden one. It should bring the cost down, and make it more repairable than polycarbonite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Aluminium and glass holds up well. Most of the commercial greenhouses are manufactured out of Aluminium with glass and they are very high buildings. But in a bad winter you will still lose one or two panes because the frame can twist. Has he tried setting up a wind break on the most exposed side?

Sorry, I just realised I didn't quite answer your question.

He has not tried setting up a wind break. It might be an idea, although, a wood panelled wind break will also block light to the green house, which is I assume, unattractive.

Have a look at this for ideas

http://www.nad.ie/docs/sections/Windbreak%20Materials.pdf

Your trying to break the gust of wind down to something your greenhouse can deal with rather than completely stopping it otherwise it just becomes another sail like the greenhouse.

Traditional the commercial greenhouses were made out of pressurised wood, very impressive buildings but the frame did ripple alot in the wind. I spent most of my childhood picking up broken glass from my dad's commercial wooden greenhouses. Its a hazard of the trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I spent most of my childhood picking up broken glass from my dad's commercial wooden greenhouses. Its a hazard of the trade.

My Dad's greenhouse was not a commercial one but every year we had to clean every pane of glass, inside and out, with vinegar and news paper.

SLAVE LABOUR for a few penny sweets :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dh0661 wrote: »
    My Dad's greenhouse was not a commercial one but every year we had to clean every pane of glass, inside and out, with vinegar and news paper.

SLAVE LABOUR for a few penny sweets :rolleyes:

Ahh but you wouldn't change the memories :)

Actually a very good idea to do what your dad had you doing every year in late winter to get rid of any pests that may have laided their eggs in the structure.

Advertisement