Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allotments in NCD

Options
  • 01-04-2011 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Well its that time of year again so thought I would start this thread. Has anyone got an allotment in NCD? Whats your experience? Is Private or Public the best in the area? What services do you get for your investment? Do you produce much food from your allotment?

Some links for Allotments in the area.
    http://sustainableskerries.wordpress.com/
    http://www.turveyallotments.com/

Fortunately I don't need one myself but I am interested by the concept of growing your own but more importantly its good exercise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

How much does an allotment cost? Is it an annual rate or can you get them for 4 or 5 years.

Aine Lawlor of Morning Ireland fame was on John Murray show the other morning talking about her allotment and she said she didnt buy any Veg for about 6 months so apart from the exercise is would save you money on your grocery bill

I see allotments are now available in Baldungan just down from castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Well it's our first year with an allotment. Up until now we'd been helping family members out with their garden & reaping the benefits.

There are no public allotments in the Balbriggan area. When you are choosing an allotment (similar to a gym membership) it's a good idea to ensure that it's close enough to your home that it becomes an easy habit to drop in often. We chose a private allotment close to Naul village as it's also close to family members.

To keep costs and labour down we have a double size which we co-op with 2 other families. We also share a greenhouse, polytunnel and more land in their garden for growing purposes. With the co-op each family brings their own unique skills to the allotment, for us I'm the preserver & jam maker then my hubby is the brute force and greenfingered one. It also means that we can rota the times the allotment is attended to if work gets in the way.

We are growing a wide range of veg, fruit and herbs. We aren't growing potatoes and we're planting minimal brassicas. It's not that we don't like them. We just have a local farmer that we get them from directly so it doesn't make sense to put our efforts into growing items that we can get straight from the ground elsewhere.

Our biggest cost so far has been the rent on the allotment. Traditionally they are rented on an annual basis. I can't tell you exactly how much they cost because we've a double plot and negotiated a price on that. I can tell you that talking to other holders that prices range from €250-€500 for the year depending on the private company. Our allotment is rotivated and manured for us, we have access to water on site, parking and if we pay extra we can have it rotivated and manured more than once. Our seeds have cost approximately €80 but remember this is for 3 families and includes onion sets.

If we go well we won't need to buy any fruit or veg for about 6 months. Then if we're well organised enough and blanch then freeze any gluts we might have, or dry, overwinter in sand other veg then we should last well up to Christmas. That will be a significant saving for us anyway.

Our biggest problem at the moment is stopping the toddler from pulling up the new shoots!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

First year with an allotment too. It's in Skerries. It just got started this year, and before that, the field was used to grow cabbages and stuff by one of the local farmers.

For a lease on a 10m x 10m patch, it cost me €100 for the year. It's only just kicking off at the minute because it's only the first year the allotments are there. So far I've just been getting stuff ready at home by growing from seed etc.

The plot itself got ploughed by the council on Tues, so with the days getting longer I'll be able to get in and get stuff done after work in the evenings.

Any other questions let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Sounds like the competition in the local horticultural shows this year is going to be pretty tough:D

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Sounds like the competition in the local horticultural shows this year is going to be pretty tough:D

If I see one of you crowd nibbling at my weed Roses there will be war....

I am not big in to gardening or growing veg anymore but it is great to see people getting involved. Hope you all get a good harvest.

Why not pop up a few photos as ye go and update this thread with the jobs you are doing, digging, weeding, thinning out or spraying.

• Advertisement

Hauk wrote: »
    For a lease on a 10m x 10m patch, it cost me €100 for the year. It's only just kicking off at the minute because it's only the first year the allotments are there. So far I've just been getting stuff ready at home by growing from seed etc.

Any other questions let me know.

Looks like you got a good deal there. I saw a sign today and I think it said Have your own allotment €1.40 a day which is €511 a year. That might be a little off putting for some.

Surely F.C.C would have some ground they could give at very discounted rates to encourage people. And just to develop it a little further would it be possible for schools to have allotments for say 5th and 6th class. It would be a very practical addition to the school ciriculum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

St Patricks Senior National school in Skerries already have allotments around Loughshinney somewhere, and the kids visit there every month or so. I am not sure what years are included.
    I also think the land was left to them by a private benefactor, and is not connected to FCC.

I think Hauk is using a council organised allotment? If it's the one I'm thinking of it was only handed to the community in the past year. It's great value, but in saying that a single patch in our area is bigger than 10 x 10.

There are no council allotments in our area. It's a pity as there is plenty of space going to waste, literally. €511 per annum is very expensive for a single allotment size. I'm still astounded by the number of fallow allotments in our group - where people have paid the rent and not worked the land.

One of the projects we would love to do in our area is to set up a community food garden where people can share their expertise. One for the future maybe anyway.

Don't forget there are GIY groups all over NCD if you're interested in growing from plot to plate. I've not been to one yet myself but I hear they are a fantastic support and knowledge base.

Yup, I'm using a FCC allotment. 10m x 10m is more than enough for what I want to do. I think €500 for a plot per annum nearly defeats the purpose of growing your own. That's a fairly prohibitive cost.

It's great that they finally kicked this off. A lot of work has gone into it, and it's great to see it finally getting up and running.

Eoineo wrote: »
    I think Hauk is using a council organised allotment? If it's the one I'm thinking of it was only handed to the community in the past year. It's great value, but in saying that a single patch in our area is bigger than 10 x 10.

There are no council allotments in our area. It's a pity as there is plenty of space going to waste, literally. €511 per annum is very expensive for a single allotment size. I'm still astounded by the number of fallow allotments in our group - where people have paid the rent and not worked the land.

One of the projects we would love to do in our area is to set up a community food garden where people can share their expertise. One for the future maybe anyway.

Don't forget there are GIY groups all over NCD if you're interested in growing from plot to plate. I've not been to one yet myself but I hear they are a fantastic support and knowledge base.

It seems to be like gym membership, people have good intentions but then suddenly other appointments restrict their time, then I suppose you get some allotment keepers that go to their plots everyday.

I find it really strange that Balbriggan doesn't have council allotments considering the political profile of the previous TD and his grow your own media campaign on Youtube.

• Advertisement

It seems to be like gym membership, people have good intentions but then suddenly other appointments restrict their time, then I suppose you get some allotment keepers that go to their plots everyday.

Saving money when you're on a tight budget & eating what we grow is a good incentive.

I'm also quite surprised at the lack of allotments if the truth be told. Many of our neighbours are renting outside of the town. I've already raised the lack with the Council and will continue to highlight it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Unless you travel the backroad between Naul Road and Stamullen, you may not come across or hear of Gaia Allotments. There are about 30 plots. 6m x 20m in size and the annual rent is €220 (which includes as much rotted down horse manure that you can handle and local spring water available at each plot).

I have a plot there and find it very good. Run by a friendly local farmer.

Here's a link to it on google maps:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.605442,-6.250319&spn=0.014438,0.045447&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.605566,-6.250393&panoid=x1EhEoh7gx9V2KmeRt3iDw&cbp=12,274.11,,0,1.53

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=53.605853,-6.250688&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=16&sll=53.605633,-6.247895&sspn=0.00727,0.022724&ie=UTF8&ll=53.60809,-6.215172&spn=0.057748,0.181789&z=13

Contact: 086-8980960. I think there are some plots still available for this year.

It's been nearly a month since this thread was last posted on. I thought I'd get an update going seeing as the growing season is in full swing.

I think (fingers crossed) the allotment is finally fully planted. The lack of rain is a concern but hopefully that will be remedied over the next few days. I've a lovely rhubarb jelly setting on my counter today. It's a great way of sneaking new fruit into a toddler's diet.

While the allotment is great because I don't drive I'm not going to be able to pick & use our veg on demand. So the hubby converted our south facing front garden patch which is quite small into 2 raised beds over the weekend. The kitchen table & windowsills are designated for salad leaves and peppers - and we are growing some root veg, peas and spring onions in the front. We've also taken delivery of a large water butt which should come in handy all year around.

How is everyone else getting along?

Good to hear Eoineo!

Well, because I work 9-5, I don't really have time to spend up at the allotment. A lot of people have made a lot more progress than I have, but it's *slowly* getting there. I have one more section of chicken wire fence to put up, and then it's done. I planted about 8 rows of spuds on Saturday.

I've ordered a shed, and a tonne of compost to condition the soil(because it's really bad). I've loads of onions ready to go in, but one of the big things is time. There are lots of retired/semi-retired people working on theirs nearly all week and they've got everything growing! I'm lucky to get 5 hours.

A bump, but for good reason. ;)

Fingal County Council will be holding an Information Evening in Balbriggan Town Hall on Wednesday 20th July 2011 at 7.30pm in relation to FINALLY establishing community allotments in the Balbriggan Area.

I'm pretty sure myself and the other half will be there. Will do my best to update this thread again after the meeting has been held for anybody who can't make it as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

A bump, but for good reason. ;)

Fingal County Council will be holding an Information Evening in Balbriggan Town Hall on Wednesday 20th July 2011 at 7.30pm in relation to FINALLY establishing community allotments in the Balbriggan Area.

I'm pretty sure myself and the other half will be there. Will do my best to update this thread again after the meeting has been held for anybody who can't make it as well.

I have to work that night, would love to hear more info.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

No worries Brian. I'll be collecting info for a number of neighbours that night so will take an extra for you. Just let me know your house number & I'll drop it in to you. Otherwise once I have an update typed I'll stick it up here anyway.

To bring the thread slightly back on topic. :D

My raised beds in the front garden are thriving. The allotment isn't doing as well as I'd hoped but I feel that it's because it's too far away from the house and so not the best of locations. Hopefully with some Council allotments in the next year we won't have that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I'm going to try and make that meeting myself, Eoineo. Would be quite interested in an allotment, bit as you said, the more local the better.

Whatever happened the original allotments in Balbriggan?

Whatever happened the original allotments in Balbriggan?

There used to be allotments in Balbriggan about 40-50 years ago, long since gone! I dont believe there have been any since!

• Advertisement

sirpsycho wrote: »
    There used to be allotments in Balbriggan about 40-50 years ago, long since gone! I dont believe there have been any since!

Yes. a Dail report in the 40s said Balbriggan had 90 allotments, I imagine if they were there today they would be near the centre of the town. Ideal location today.

14 in 1939, 14 in 1940 and up to 58 in 1941.

Source

14 in 1939, 14 in 1940 and up to 58 in 1941.

Source

I will raise you Source
    Balbriggan Allotments
    Year No.
    1942 94
    1943 92
    1944 84
    1945 78

I wonder were they located on the Hamlet Estate, Bremore?

Source

I wonder were they located on the Hamlet Estate, Bremore?

Source

Seem to be, the Emergency and rationing seemed to have caused a major spike in allotment numbers. I wonder how many of the original allotments on the Dail lists actually survived to this day.

Found the below thesis on allotments, interesting to note allotments in the 30s-40s in Ireland were very popular and tailed off when people had more job opportunities. Significantly the council did take back land after the War to use as parks or social housing but no mention of Balbriggan. Funny how history repeats itself. It does mention in a table Dublin Corporation allotments in the 1980s in Balbriggan??

http://www.cityfarmer.org/MichaelCullenthesis.pdf

Hi Everyone

As promised an update on the meeting last night:

The new allotments will be located at Knocknagin Lane which is approximately 1.5km North of Flemington Lane and it is adjacent the old Drogheda Road. It will be accessed via the lane & not the main road. It can cater for up to 250 allotments which will be aimed at residents from Balbriggan, Balrothery & the surrounding Fingal County Council areas.

There will be 2 main sizes available. Namely 5 x 10 metres (€50) & 10 x 10 metres (€100) and they will be rented at a rate of €1 per sq metre. Committee members volunteered last night and the next step is for the Committee to submit an application for funding to the Rural LEADER partnership to pay for the works that need to take place to get the allotments underway. Items that need to be provided include a water source, carparking, portaloos, marking out of the plots etc.

The allotments hopefully will be ready for planting in the Spring of 2012. For anybody who is familiar with the Skerries scheme they will be administered in the same way. For local residents who have an existing allotment in Turvey, Skerries or Palmerstown they will have priority for doing a direct transfer of their allotment to Balbriggan.

Expressions of interest are being collected at present and an application form can be requested from Parks Departement - allotments@fingalcoco.ie or on 01 890 5600. They do have a preference for dealing with people via email where possible.

If anybody has any other questions just shout.

Hi Everyone

The new allotments will be located at Knocknagin which is approximately 200m North of Flemington Lane and it is adjacent the lane off the old Drogheda Road. It will be accessed via the lane & not the main road. It can cater for up to 250 allotments which will be aimed at residents from Balbriggan, Balrothery & the surrounding Fingal County Council areas.

There will be 2 main sizes available. Namely 5 x 10 metres (€50) & 10 x 10 metres (€100) and they will be rented at a rate of €1 per sq metre. Committee members volunteered last night and the next step is for the Committee to submit an application for funding to the Rural LEADER partnership to pay for the works that need to take place to get the allotments underway. Items that need to be provided include a water source, carparking, portaloos, marking out of the plots etc.

The allotments hopefully will be ready for planting in the Spring of 2012. For anybody who is familiar with the Skerries scheme they will be administered in the same way. For local residents who have an existing allotment in Turvey, Skerries or Palmerstown they will have priority for doing a direct transfer of their allotment to Balbriggan.

Expressions of interest are being collected at present and an application form can be requested from Parks Departement - allotments@fingalcoco.ie or on 01 890 5600. They do have a preference for dealing with people via email where possible.

Hi Eoineo,

Can you please clarify the exact site of the allotments? Knocknagin is about 1.5km from Flemington Lane, bit confused as to where this site will be. 200m from Flemington lane?

Cheers!

Hi Everyone

The new allotments will be located at Knocknagin which is approximately 200m North of Flemington Lane and it is adjacent the lane off the old Drogheda Road. It will be accessed via the lane & not the main road. It can cater for up to 250 allotments which will be aimed at residents from Balbriggan, Balrothery & the surrounding Fingal County Council areas.

Hi Eoineo,

Can you please clarify the exact site of the allotments? Knocknagin is about 1.5km from Flemington Lane, bit confused as to where this site will be. 200m from Flemington lane?

Cheers!
    The entrance will be at Knocknagin Lane but the field is so big that it's closer to Flemington Lane than you'd realise. All that said I made a mess of the original distance so I'm going to change that now. thanks!

Looks a little out of town, this walking down to the allotment in the evenings seems lost on FCC. Are there foot paths or do people have to drive to reach the site?

Apart from the location what did they say about the soil? Has it always been a green field site? Any soil borne diseases you should be aware of if planting crops? Is there an existing crop in the site? Is it an organic site?

• Advertisement

Here's a link to the google satellite map of the area between Knocknagin and Flemington Lane. Anyone know which field?

Advertisement