Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allotments in NCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

sirpsycho wrote: »
    Here's a link to the google satellite map of the area between Knocknagin and Flemington Lane. Anyone know which field?
    The one on the very corner of the junction between Knocknagin Lane & Drogheda Road. I can't drop a pin & coordinates from my phone but if that's not clear enough I'll try to do that later on.

The field is not organic, no soil borne diseases that we're aware of. It was farmed up to this year but was left fallow this year. I checked it last night & it appeared to be meadow.

Will post back later when I have a computer as its difficult to go into detail on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Eoineo wrote: »
    The field is not organic, no soil borne diseases that we're aware of. It was farmed up to this year but was left fallow this year. I checked it last night & it appeared to be meadow.

Sounds good, change over period is 2 years in Ireland from conventional to organic qualification so by the time the allotment gets up and running 1-1.5 years should have passed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If anybody has any other questions just shout.

Will you water my spuds when I'm working nights?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ooh, er missus! :D

If anybody has any other questions just shout.

Will you water my spuds when I'm working nights?
    I've a form for you btw if you're still interested.
    We'd have to work out a skill exchange for spud watering hahaha.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've a form for you btw if you're still interested.
    We'd have to work out a skill exchange for spud watering hahaha.

I emailed the address you posted up and they sent me on a form, cheers anyway.

A skill exchange you say? Is that your way of trying to get me to all your digging for you? You'll have to throw in a little more than spud watering for that :)

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

No the other half has no problem digging himself a hole/furrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Dear Sir/Madam,

Following on from the information meeting in the summer of 2011 regarding the proposed Balbriggan allotment scheme, Fingal County Council is organising another meeting on Wednesday 1st February from 7.30pm til 9pm at the Brackencourt Hotel in Balbriggan.

The purpose of this meeting is to present and discuss the draft plan for the Balbriggan allotments and get the input on the plan from you and the other interested allotment holders.

We also wish to formally elect people to the Balbriggan Allotment Club committee, wish will be making the funding application to Rural Fingal Leader shortly.

Hope to see you there.

Regards,

Hans Visser
    Exec. Parks Superintendent

Anyone going? My wife is out that night so i am stuck with minding the childer.

Yep, as before the other half will definitely be there. Providing I can get a babysitter for the toddler I will be as well but will have to bring the baby with me.

I had heard about the meeting last week but was waiting to see it made public before posting. I'll update with information as I get it now.

The proposed plans are on display in Balbriggan Town Hall & Fingal County Offices in Swords for anyone who's interested.

We moved all our tools & equipment off our old allotment last weekend. It could be considered a leap of faith in Fingal's favour but we can't afford to rent 2 plots from a financial or time point of view.

So any feedback from the meeting?

• Advertisement

It was pretty similar to the last. The plans were displayed, they took input from all present on the proposed design. An access solution was discussed that wiuld be more secure than Turvey. The application for funding is to be submitted by the Committee next month. Fingal are working on the paperwork for that. The Committee was finalised & will meet within the next 2 weeks.

If the funding is granted the whole scheme will be developed which numbers over 280 plots of 3 different sizes with ample parking, pathways, ground water well, watering system (pumped), secure entrance/exit, planting of boundaries, port-a-loo's and a communal recreation area. If not they will develop the entrance area & the ground water well for a rate free water supply.

The absolute soonest we will be in for will be the end of April but realistically I'm preparing myself for mid May.

There are plenty of plots still available for anyone who's interested.

If anybody has any questions I'll do my best to answer but my response time depends on time to compose one! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Could someone give me some information on the skerries allotments please? I've googled to little avail. Checked the sustainable skerries website and there's no information there on how to get an allotment (that I can see). I checked skerriesallotments.com and that is a group that facilitates helping members out but I have yet to find any details on how to actually get myself one.

So how do I actually go about getting one?

Khannie wrote: »
    Could someone give me some information on the skerries allotments please? I've googled to little avail. Checked the sustainable skerries website and there's no information there on how to get an allotment (that I can see). I checked skerriesallotments.com and that is a group that facilitates helping members out but I have yet to find any details on how to actually get myself one.

So how do I actually go about getting one?
    Email: allotments@fingalcoco.ie & request one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks for that. So I emailed them around the time that you posted that address, complete with some form or other that I had to fill in. I heard nothing back. Should I expect to hear anything back?

Does anyone know what the status of them is? Like are they all gone / waiting list ?

I'm really sorry but I'm not familiar with the Skerries scheme. Your best bet is to ring the Parks Department and ask them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Khannie wrote: »
    Thanks for that. So I emailed them around the time that you posted that address, complete with some form or other that I had to fill in. I heard nothing back. Should I expect to hear anything back?

Does anyone know what the status of them is? Like are they all gone / waiting list ?

There was quite a few plots that were not used last year due people putting their name down and then not taking them up. But i think they were trying to let some people on the fingal waiting list have one this year.

As it's the co council i wouldn't rely on e-mail, you need to ring them until you manage to get through to the right person.

I was up at the allotments last Sat having a look around, there still seems to be quite a few vacant so you might still be lucky.
    I know it's very early in the year and most people haven't started working on them yet, but i'd be susprised if all the vacant ones are taken up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Kumsheen wrote: »
    I was up at the allotments last Sat having a look around, there still seems to be quite a few vacant so you might still be lucky.
    I know it's very early in the year and most people haven't started working on them yet, but i'd be susprised if all the vacant ones are taken up.

Pat Kenny had a piece today on allotments in DCC, seems its fairly common for people to lose the good fight with their allotment when they find out how much work allotments really take. DCC send 3 warning letters to the absent allotment holders if the site is becoming an eyesore then take the site off the holder if the situation doesn't change.

Pat Kenny had a piece today on allotments in DCC, seems its fairly common for people to lose the good fight with their allotment when they find out how much work allotments really take. DCC send 3 warning letters to the absent allotment holders if the site is becoming an eyesore then take the site off the holder if the situation doesn't change.

Quite right. But after a few years it should settle down to just the regulars after all the dreamers have thrown in the towel.

Just to update that there are still plenty of spaces in the Balbriggan Allotment scheme. Realistically we will be in by the end of April/beginning of May providing there are no funding application problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Pity they are so slow to get it moving, I doubt it will be ready for this years growing season. There are no works started on the site yet, it still an overgrown brussel sprout field!!

sirpsycho wrote: »
    Pity they are so slow to get it moving, I doubt it will be ready for this years growing season. There are no works started on the site yet, it still an overgrown brussel sprout field!!
    No works can start until the funding is decided.

While we won't be able to grow a full season there are plenty of fruit & veg that can be grown from May on. I'm giving some of my plants a head start by propagating them at home first.

Just to update that there are still plenty of spaces in the Balbriggan Allotment scheme. Realistically we will be in by the end of April/beginning of May providing there are no funding application problems.

I applied for an allotment last year, and recieved notification of the meeting a few weeks ago which I couldnt make.
    Do you know Eoineo what the status of such applications are?

Jimdagym wrote: »

I applied for an allotment last year, and recieved notification of the meeting a few weeks ago which I couldnt make.
    Do you know Eoineo what the status of such applications are?
    As far as I'm aware you'll be contacted if/when funding is granted. I'll keep this thread updated as I get more information.

Thanks million Eoineo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

I would be delighted if I could get a spot here (despite there being allotments outside my front door I seemingly can't get use of) how can I use the balbriggan allotments I would be interested in finding out.xx

bernyh wrote: »

I would be delighted if I could get a spot here (despite there being allotments outside my front door I seemingly can't get use of) how can I use the balbriggan allotments I would be interested in finding out.xx
    As mentioned earlier in the thread email: allotments(at)fingalcoco(dot)ie to register for an allotment. As far as I know there will be a number of holders transferring from Turvey when it is up and running which may free up a few spaces by 2013.

Why :eek: exactly? Should it not be oink? I think it's going to be great to show our children & others how to treat these animals with respect and how to care for them. Meat doesn't just land in pre packaged cling film covered trays…

The syndicate members have to make a financial & time commitment. The allotment scheme has to be granted a Herd Number from the Dept of Agriculture and have the area for the pigs inspected and approved by a vet before that will be granted.

• Advertisement

Why :eek: exactly? Should it not be oink? I think it's going to be great to show our children & others how to treat these animals with respect and how to care for them. Meat doesn't just land in pre packaged cling film covered trays…

The syndicate members have to make a financial & time commitment. The allotment scheme has to be granted a Herd Number from the Dept of Agriculture and have the area for the pigs inspected and approved by a vet before that will be granted.

I couldn't find an oink, I must raise the lack of oink in feedback sometime.

oinker_oink_hg_clr.gif

Advertisement