Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inexpensive trees to Surround a back Garden Perimeter (A few years old)

Options
  • 01-04-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Hi All. I am attempting to turn my empty square back yard into a little sancturay. The idea was some Semi grown trees a few foot high to surround the perimeter (give the garden a headstart). But i was stopped in my tracks with the cost. I spent 400 and got about 7 trees which does one corner :eek:. I have a few crappy looking Leylandia in another corner that look brutal. Is there anywhere you can get semi grown trees at good prices? Or if i dont have the disposable income will I have to start with saplings. I saw an old thread that mentioned Coilte but the link is now dead. Do they only sell trees in large amounts? Was in Plantagen but it was a little too pricey for me;)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

ronan45 wrote: »
    Hi All. I am attempting to turn my empty square back yard into a little sancturay. The idea was some Semi grown trees a few foot high to surround the perimeter (give the garden a headstart). But i was stopped in my tracks with the cost. I spent 400 and got about 7 trees which does one corner :eek:. I have a few crappy looking Leylandia in another corner that look brutal. Is there anywhere you can get semi grown trees at good prices? Or if i dont have the disposable income will I have to start with saplings. I saw an old thread that mentioned Coilte but the link is now dead. Do they only sell trees in large amounts? Was in Plantagen but it was a little too pricey for me;)

I have a young sycamore you can have for a fiver!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

LIDL TODAY :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How big is your back yard? What kind of soil do you have?

Seven trees, even medium sized ones should do 70 feet minimum. You need to be putting in a mix of trees and large shrubs, lilac, wiegela, hawthorn, forsythia, vibernum, pittosporum, fatsia, and loads more. Rowan trees, birch, holly and some maples are all common trees that should be easily available and not too expensive.

If you have a huge area you can plant things like sycamore and beech and oak, but if its under a quarter acre they would be too big.

This is the Coillte link http://www.coilltenurseries.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

It can sometimes be a mistake to go for bigger trees, smaller ones will often outgrow them in a few years as they haven't been potbound for so long. Go for fast growing natives like birch, hazel, mountain ash and lots of shrubs. It's a pity you've missed the bare-root season, by far the cheapest way to buy trees.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ronan45 wrote: »
    I spent 400 and got about 7 trees
    bloody hell, what did you buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

The Coillte link is a dead end. the only option available is to log in but there is no option to register, so one can't log in.
    I too am interested in finding a nursery that will sell semi mature shrubs or hedging. Most of them say on their websites that they are for trade only.
    Should I not be expecting large plants from a nursery, it is a contradiction I supppose?
    I have to suddenly and quickly create a barrier, either hedging or thick shrubs at least 120 cm high and in two sections about 4m long.
    The quickest way would be to buy those wooden fencing panels but they are a bit of an eyesore in among the rest of the greenery.
    Would anyone have any ideas please where to find plants that are higher than 60cm?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oh yes sorry about the Coillte link.

This crowd however http://www.kinbark.ie/?page_id=15 have a 'massive clearance sale' on. They are just outside Enniscorthy and have very good quality stuff.

They have well grown acer and hawthorn trees for €30 in the sale. Or at least they did, don't know how up to date the info is, might be worth a phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Thanks for that. Will give them a call and see if it's worth a trip down. am thinking maybe nice whitethorn hedge if I can get enough of them to plant closely and with good height.

Advertisement