Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - can I see my monthly usage?

• 01-04-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hi. Is it possible to see my monthly broadband usage with UPC? I have a login for their site but cannot see the info anywhere. Am I missing it or perhaps the router can give me this info?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

You have to email or call them to get your usage.
    aup@upc.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you only have one pc connected then you could install a bandwidth monitor application on it, sometimes they aren't always 100% accurate but they'll at least give you a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I emailed them before and they would not inform me of my usage.

In the second email i recommended they install a usage meter in the "my account" section of their web site. That was also shot down.

In the third email i suggested that they send an automatic email to inform customers when they are close to the limit. I am still waiting for a reply to this one three months on!

Damo9090 wrote: »
    In the second email i recommended they install a usage meter in the "my account" section of their web site. That was also shot down.
    Did they give a "reason" (read: excuse)?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Did they give a "reason" (read: excuse)?

Some rubbish about the marketing department not taking it on board.

Just some spin to shut me up tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Some rubbish about the marketing department not taking it on board.
    i.e. the marketing department thinks that if people know what their usage is, then they'll stick within the advertised limits and UPC won't have the financial pleasure of bumping so many people up to the €80pm extreme package. :rolleyes:

If people know there's a limit then the marketing team can't tell what's his face to get his mom to tell the country to download over and over, without worrying about download limits!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Just download netmeter or netlimiter .....they're free and give a very good rough estimate of what you use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

vibe666 wrote: »
    i.e. the marketing department thinks that if people know what their usage is, then they'll stick within the advertised limits and UPC won't have the financial pleasure of bumping so many people up to the €80pm extreme package. :rolleyes:

and they are still at advising people that their packages are unlimited ... no limits...and people still take them at their word until they go over their limit and find UPC has a limit after all and now they have to pay extra.

Friend got UPC the other day and w3as told exactly that it was unlimited, no limits etc, no mention of the actual limits.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bealtine wrote: »
    and they are still at advising people that their packages are unlimited ... no limits...and people still take them at their word until they go over their limit and find UPC has a limit after all and now they have to pay extra.

Friend got UPC the other day and w3as told exactly that it was unlimited, no limits etc, no mention of the actual limits.

Shouldn't people be able to take supposedly "reputable" companies at their word? And in particular about such an important aspect of a product?

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/twenty/
    Download: 20Mb
    Upload: 1.5Mb
    Suitable for: Downloading local maps, videos or photos and more. With unlimited usage don’t be afraid to download again and again. Be free from wires with a free wireless router so everyone in the home can go online at the same time. It’s also over twice as fast as eircom’s Next Generation Broadband.

Why would anyone reading the above have any reason to believe that there is a limit of any sort on the product? UPC are actually inviting customers to download to their hearts' content and would seem to be confirming this facility by not giving them customer any way of monitoring the downloads. But if it is an unlimited product why would a customer need to monitor it anyway?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

dub45 wrote: »
    Shouldn't people be able to take supposedly "reputable" companies at their word? And in particular about such an important aspect of a product?

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/twenty/

Why would anyone reading the above have any reason to believe that there is a limit of any sort on the product? UPC are actually inviting customers to download to their hearts' content and would seem to be confirming this facility by not giving them customer any way of monitoring the downloads. But if it is an unlimited product why would a customer need to monitor it anyway?:rolleyes:

They do list the limits on the main page though:
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It is a blatant case of false advertising - unlimited downloads, limited to.....:D Irish or what?
    Although i have to say, i have the lowest package (the 10mb one with a 120Gb limit) and i never have any problem with it, apart from running a bit slow sometimes at peak times. But as for breaching download limits, no. 120Gb is still a fair bit is it not?
    Do many people really need in excess of 250Gb a month?

blaz wrote: »
    They do list the limits on the main page though:
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

They do indeed in a further example of deliberate deception!

We should really organise something.
    We complain to comreg, the advertising body thing, and on here but nothing happens.
    We need to riot at UPC headquarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

In the third email i suggested that they send an automatic email to inform customers when they are close to the limit. I am still waiting for a reply to this one three months on!

That's just crazy. If the customer goes over the monthly limit, UPC hammer them BUT they will not give them the tools to monitor their usage or warn them if they are approaching their limit.

Well done UPC - definitely in the running for the dunces hat

That's just crazy. If the customer goes over the monthly limit, UPC hammer them BUT they will not give them the tools to monitor their usage or warn them if they are approaching their limit.

I agree and vibe666 is spot on with below.
    vibe666 wrote: »

There is no dunce's hat involved at all. UPC know exactly what they are doing.

All that stuff about "unlimited" does not appear by accident on the website. These are decisions taken by senior management around nice tables in nice meeting rooms. They follow boards.ie and probably laugh at the small but growing minority on here who decry their disgraceful behaviour but know that the vast majority of their customers can be deceived on an ongoing basis. Meanwhile have a laugh at this from the customer charter!!!!
    Sales and Marketing Policy
    UPC aims to ensure that our sales activity and our marketing and promotional material are fair, honest and transparent.

My emphasis.

I am sure the customers who find themselves on the "punishment' product will wholeheartedly agree!

Meanwhile I am sure they well "win" some best service award this year or something but apparently they will never learn that the best service to give to a customer is honesty!

And for your further amusement:

The Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland

The Essence of Good Advertising:

All marketing communications should be legal, decent, honest and truthful.

All marketing communications should be prepared with a sense of responsibility both to the consumer and to society.

From the UPC customer charter:

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/InternalCharterV3.pdf
    Listen to Our Customers
    We listen to our customers’ feedback and experiences to ensure we continuously improve our services and offerings.

Aren't you glad to read that now!

Advertisement