Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NES Help

• 01-04-2011 11:00am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought a NES a week or two ago as a spare. It flashes on and off, red blinky light no picture on screen. Grand i thought replace the 72pin.

Nope.

I replaced the 72pin its still flashing on and off, its not a region issue as ive tried a few different games in it from different regions.

Also im using the same powersupply and Cable from my working NES so i know they are fine.

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How about doing the easy region mod? I'm pretty sure I read it can solve blinking issues too. all you have to do is cut one pin on a chip.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Cool ill give it a go, ive done it already on the other one i have. cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Agreed, I've heard that too...apparently it fixes this issue, how is beyond me but worth a shot.

yeh weird, i know different region games flash alright. ill give it a go its similar to that except there is not picture on screen when it flashes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

My NES was doing the same last Christmas and the only solution I heard about was the region pin - that or get a new machine. I think my NES is just fecked though, it's been through the wars at this stage.

• Advertisement

Ive seen it before flashing on and off on my other one, but you could see the game when it flashed on. That was a region issue. which was fixed by making it region free.

This one is different though because no picture is on the screen., hopefully removing the pin fixes this one too, ill try it now. thanks lads.

Master of the Universe

Hmm, yeah, removing the pin might just stop the blinking - but you'd still be left with no picture. Worth a shot I guess!

Where did you get the 72 pin connector? Some of the ones I've come across on ebay have been refurbished rather than new. Maybe you got a dud? Could you swap out another one that's definitely working just to test it out?

Got rid of the pin its no longer flashing, but its still just a blank screen with a kind of fuzz noise.

I bought the part off rewind-bits.co.uk so id say its working alright.

keithgeo wrote: »
    Got rid of the pin its no longer flashing, but its still just a blank screen with a kind of fuzz noise.

I bought the part off rewind-bits.co.uk so id say its working alright.

Might be worth sending Tim an email, he seems to have decent tech knowledge & may know what to check/look at next. Would it be worth cleaning the pins that the 72 pin conenctor connectos on to?

Cleaned those aswell already. yeh ill give him a shout and see what he thinks. he might have seen this before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Do you guys have an email address for Tim? If yes could you PM it to me please? I tried the Contact Us page a few weeks ago but heard nothing back.

I dont have a contact other than the website.

Ive managed to get it to come on to a black screen with no static noise now.

Still cant get anything out of it though, id guess the box at the back where the RF and Power go is knackered. has to be.

Master of the Universe

I take it you're connecting it via RF then? No white and red composite cable to test the output on the side? Be interested in seeing if that makes any kind of difference.

yeh i tried the video on the side, yellow and red it is on this one. same just a black screen on it.

yeh i tried the video on the side, yellow and red it is on this one. same just a black screen on it.

You've ruled out the rf modulator so, was this sold as a working unit?

nah it was "worked last time i plugged it in, flashes on and off now" im not bothered to be honest it was only a few quid. i figured i could probably fix by replaced the 72 but ah well. Might stick the insides of a laptop in it for the craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

nah it was "worked last time i plugged it in, flashes on and off now" im not bothered to be honest it was only a few quid. i figured i could probably fix by replaced the 72 but ah well. Might stick the insides of a laptop in it for the craic!
    Hey Keith, just reopened my NES today. Seems to be quite similar to your problem - already removed the region pin but it's just displaying a static grey screen. No change if there's a game in it or not, and I've tried a few. Doubt it's worth replacing the 72pin.

Id still try it if i was you, its only 8 quid or something, take off the old one clean the connection on the board with some steel wool and wipe off with an alcohol wipe and clean with an earbud. it might work. i had the same problem on my other one and a new 72pin fixed it. i cant find any info on the net about this issue after you have replaced it though if its still happening.

Advertisement