Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routers!?

Options
  • 01-04-2011 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

Hey

Just have quick question for ye all, have UPC broadband in the house wanted to get wireless, (on the cheap!). Got given an eircom router that a friend didnt need. Had no joy hooking that one up so gave up on it.

A friends workplace then had a couple of spare routers, its a 'ZyXEL 600 series' (thats what it says on the box). But alas it doesnt apper in available connections on the laptop either.

Is this a lost cause trying to use other peoples spare routers? Do I have to bite the bullet and just go buy one!?? :eek:

Clearly.. I'm not the most tech savy but I would of figured a router, is a router, is a router! :confused:

Appreciate any info!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The routers supplied by dsl isps such as Eircom have an integrated dsl modem.

Buy a proper router (i.e. one without a dsl modem) and save yourself heartache.

They are often known as "cable' routers as a sort of generic term.

The linksys wrt54gl used to be a very popular recommendation because its firmware can be upgraded. Some routers can be upgraded to cover useage which is a desirable feature with upc while others come with that feature already on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Stuart mulvaney

Hi i am just wondering, I moved to UPC Few months ago, from day one the Rooter has Droped every couple of hours, of at least even twice a day, Still to this day no tech has been able to solve issue, UPC Done everything they can possibly do, Just wanted to know if this issue has happend to anyone else

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

not being funny but did u try a diff router!?

i used a router once that would have to be reset at least once a day... any other one worked aok with the exact same settings and connections...

theres routers with modems and just routers as mentioned, if u dont need a router with a modem them u can avoid them and jsut get a router without one.. usually cheaper too

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Stuart mulvaney

just needed to know if anyone had the same problem with modem, upc have replaced modem & it is still, acting reseting, i have just lodged complaint , with them , at this stage i think it is all i can do :mad:

Advertisement