Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish men shot at while hunting in scotland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

bazza888 wrote: »

Shooting at pensioners............
    What was he thinking.

Or is there more to the story than the article suggests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

its hardly an aprils fools its not very funny!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

He fired twelve or thirteen shots and the charge was downgraded? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

8 Irish men with guns running away from 1 Scottish man. The shame :D

i presume its because if he wanted or intended to kill them at 200yrds with a scoped rifle he could have easily,so wouldnt a court say that proved he didnt intend to kill them?( dont get me wrong i think he should be done for it)

• Advertisement

i posted the op clive just read another shooting related article didnt want to make anothe new thread for it!sorry if i caused an upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I'd be interested to see what sentence is handed down. Knowing the Scottish police, he'll never legally hold a gun again.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Another source for this story here.
    Giving evidence for his defence, Sutherland, of Hillhead of Foveran, The New Farmhouse, Newburgh, claimed he had no idea the group were in the area and had stopped his jeep to fire at some geese because they can damage his organic crops.
    But another victim, John Condon, 58, told the court there were bullets landing on the ground in front of the group and passing over their heads.
    Asked by fiscal depute Neil Shand if there was any wildlife close to the group at the time, he replied: "Definitely not.

he shouldnt own one again,it would be mad if they didnt take his license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

ha maybe he has bad eyesight however lads in cammo in a hide out of sight of goose eyes with a whole load of decoys in front of them mmmm maybe he could be telling the truth :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

I would have fired back if I was ever in such a situation, He might have been firing to miss on purpose but after 4 or 5 rounds fired into your group how could you take the chance that he isn't a very bad shot,
    what would it have been like if one of the group was hit, I'm pretty sure these guys would have called out after the first few rounds just in case the shooter was not aware of their presence, In this case I would assume that he was shooting to killand maybe thank God that his sights were off

and if this is an april fool it is in very bad taste

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

4gun wrote: »
    and if this is an april fool it is in very bad taste
    I don't think it is, given that was reported on the BBC over a week ago. They point out that he fired both a rifle and a shotgun at the men...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

I would easily accept that one or two stray round fired in your direction even a possible third might be done by complete accident (we do wear cammo) I have often thought that in busy areas of deer stalking in I reland people should start wearing hunters orange but in this case it might have proved fatal

is it legal over there to shoot geese with "high powered":rolleyes: rifles?i presumed the irish men had shotguns,i wouldnt have fancied standing up to fire a shotgun at something 2ooyards away with bullets incoming!!

I've heard of lads in the UK shooting geese with rifles, Canadas maybe? Legal, but I am unsure if there are certain circumstances or not.

ok so,i tought he was admitting more illegal stuff by saying he was shooting or trying to shoot the geese with a rifle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I know some of the lads involved.

it's as illegal to shoot game with a rifle over there as it is here
    i'd say if the truth be told the bloke got pissed off with a load of irish shooters banging away at geese on his boundry and lost the plot my brother still live in goose country and the locals there get very very pissed off with 'non nationals' wacking big numbers of geese on ground rented out by shooting interests
    in the cold light of day he realised what he'd done and concocted a story to try and cover his tracks

landkeeper wrote: »
    it's as illegal to shoot game with a rifle over there as it is here

Nope, you can get geese on centrefire rifle tickets in Scotland and England, not sure about NI or if Wales are different. Or they certainly used to be able to in the very recent past, unless somethings been changed.

maybe canadas john:confused: migratory stuff i don't think you can shoot them with a rifle but i stand to be corrected on that one times have changed since i left

• Advertisement

landkeeper wrote: »
    maybe canadas john:confused: migratory stuff i don't think you can shoot them with a rifle but i stand to be corrected on that one times have changed since i left

Canadas and greylags were the species I used to hear of. But, for my own curiosity I've asked on a UK site, see what the score is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

johngalway wrote: »
    Canadas and greylags were the species I used to hear of. But, for my own curiosity I've asked on a UK site, see what the score is ;)

Sounds right. Those 2 species cause huge amounts of damage. The Canada's are an introduced species, the Greylags have big feral populations as well as 'real' wild ones.

Advertisement