Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fight Cards Getting Bigger and Bigger.

• 01-04-2011 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed that the fight cards at the majority of shows are getting silly in size? Or is this what the pubic want, cards with 18-22 fights. Why are promoters doing this, is it just to have more people selling tickets to fill halls? Would it not be better to have 12 or so fights on a show then there would be more fighters to go round which would make all shows better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

What shows have that many fights? Most ive seen is 16 which was probably too many. Shows like that go on way too late.
    Been on a show with 15 though and it was under the 3 hour mark. 12-15 is the best value for cash i reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Moloko17 wrote: »
    Is it just me or has anybody else noticed that the fight cards at the majority of shows are getting silly in size? Or is this what the pubic want, cards with 18-22 fights. Why are promoters doing this, is it just to have more people selling tickets to fill halls? Would it not be better to have 12 or so fights on a show then there would be more fighters to go round which would make all shows better?

From my point of view 10-13 fights is ideal for a show, after 15 it gets very tedious and people tend to be bored by the time the main event comes on.

i doubt the amount of fighters put on are to sell tickets, I'd say its promoters trying to look after clubs who where decent enough to support them or promoters panicking they may have pull outs and playing it safe.

Personally i am grateful for fighters been on my show whether they sell any tickets or not.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Like Cowzerp i reckon about 10-13 is ideal. At the last CC in Dublin we didn't get the level of pull outs we thought we would get and the card was simply too long.

No matter how good the fights on the night are by the time you get to 14 or so fights people are getting bored. I've noticed a trend in the last 6 months or so of larger fight cards, another problem this creates for the fighters at the top end of the card is that if the rules are at 5pm or so and they are in the cage at 10:30-11 O Clock they have to hag around for near 6 hours. I recently had one coach say he would agree a fight but he wanted it mid card because he didn't want his guy hanging around for hours on end.

fightie wrote: »
    No matter how good the fights on the night are by the time you get to 14 or so fights people are getting bored. I've noticed a trend in the last 6 months or so of larger fight cards, another problem this creates for the fighters at the top end of the card is that if the rules are at 5pm or so and they are in the cage at 10:30-11 O Clock they have to hag around for near 6 hours. I recently had one coach say he would agree a fight but he wanted it mid card because he didn't want his guy hanging around for hours on end.

Yeah it tends to be hit and miss. Like How many fights were organized before any pullouts on the last Rumble Paul? Think you ended up with 11 fights was it?
    Yeah like 11 is very late to be fighting. Some people may have been quite nervous the night before and mightnt have slept too well. At this time they'll be running on adrenaline alone. Hardly ideal condiditons to be fighting under. I prefer mid card too and thats the main reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

We had a few pull outs but most where replaced, would have had about 13-14 max, thats not bad if you don't hang around, 10 was what we had and was just right on that night

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    We had a few pull outs but most where replaced, would have had about 13-14 max, thats not bad if you don't hang around, 10 was what we had and was just right on that night
    Yeah as i said it can be a case of luck at times as too. Like had RIR 3 only had 10 fights it woulda seeme d like a short night as there were a lotta early finishes that night. Then RIR 4 had a lotta fights go to decision and was quite a long night. Its really outta the promoters hands. But regardless when you start puttin on 16+ fights you're in for a long night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I think 10 fights is an ideal card myself. I always organise 14 or so with the anticipation that I will lose 4 fights from each card due to injury.

I went to a show with 20 fights once, and thankfully I didn't have a job at it so I could go talk to people outside for the ones that didn't interest me, but the crowd were very restless by the end... very... ahem... restless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

10 max for me. Like any good event I think you should leave wanting a little more, not wishing it finished a half hour ealier.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

9-13 Fights is plenty

Plus whats with shows taking intervals, Ruins the atmosphere and makes long night's even longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ultimatemma

Plus whats with shows taking intervals, Ruins the atmosphere and makes long night's even longer.

Defo agree with this and I think max 12 is just the right amount of fights. Having been to nearly all the shows so far this year, I've witnessed a lot of people getting bored and walking out before the main events. Plus fighting at 11 o'clock is not fair on the fighters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Biggest issue that shows face is pull outs and guys not making weight.

This means that as an insurance policy people put extra fight on the card.

We had one show that ended up with 8 fights from an original 16. Let's just say I was very stressed out the last few days.

You then get members of the audience saying you are doing this as a cost cutting measure.

Couldn't be further from the truth

Personally I am happy with 10 - 12 fights. But it is really hard to get it on the button

Advertisement