Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home alarm

Options
  • 01-04-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I recently changed too UPC package for Home Phone, Broadband and TV, once everything was installed i realized that without the eircom line my alarm wont phone me when it goes off(which should have been obvious i know but i forgot).. now i dont have eircom phone-watch, its our own system that has three numbers in it that rings them one at a time when it goes off...

Anyone know what is the best thing i can get to sort this problem out??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

You will need to get a wireless gsm. Just ring eircom and tell them you have switched to upc but you have a eircom phone watch system and need to get a wireless gsm and they will sort you out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your Phonewatch alarm will work with a UPC line.
    For some reason eircom lie about this. (See the link in my sig)
    Do not use GSm , they are unreliable & can easily be jammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Guys you need to read the post in full

Just connect your dialler to the upc box and it should be fine, you will need a rj11 crimper to do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You need to get a cable to your new UPC modem and connect it to the phone connection at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Also if your alarm is reliant on the UPC then a back power supply should be fitted as no mains means no phone with UPC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Heres another method we use . Get 1 RJ11 to RJ11 cable and 1 double RJ11 socket.
    Connect RJ11 to RJ11 cable from modem to first connection on double socket.
    Plug your phone onto the second socket. From the back of the socket, using 4 core cable, wire the first connection to line in on the digi & wire line out to the second connection.

You will need to get a wireless gsm. Just ring eircom and tell them you have switched to upc but you have a eircom phone watch system and need to get a wireless gsm and they will sort you out.

There is no need for a GSM. The UPC will work with the alarm system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

altor wrote: »
    There is no need for a GSM. The UPC will work with the alarm system.

will the upc line work with the HKC 10/70 dialler? or is the gsm good to go?:confused:

will the upc line work with the HKC 10/70 dialler? or is the gsm good to go?:confused:

It will work for voice calls plus with the 1070 you will also get the zone discription. The GSM would give you more options for remote access to the alarm plus to control heating/lights if set up for home automation.

It will work for voice calls plus with the 1070 you will also get the zone discription. The GSM would give you more options for remote access to the alarm plus to control heating/lights if set up for home automation.

i like the gsm... was shown it at the Isec 2011.....but are they really easily jammed?

• Advertisement

i like the gsm... was shown it at the Isec 2011.....but are they really easily jammed?

Yes they are, you would not believe how easily. The new GSM is half the price of the GSM-P. It will go onto the 1070 also so that is a bonus. You wont have home automation with this GSM, just so you know.

Yes they are, you would not believe how easily. The new GSM is half the price of the GSM-P. It will go onto the 1070 also so that is a bonus. You wont have home automation with this GSM, just so you know.

but how can it stop the gsm unit from sending out a signal? the jammer would have to be long range???wouldnt it:confused:

Jammers can be bought for €20 including delivery. They're about the size of an old style mobile phone and gave a working radius up to 50 meters.

Your average opportunistic burglar more than likely won't have one in his pocket if he's trying to break into your house. They're used more by crooks who are targeting specific properties, mostly commercial at the moment.

I don't install them in commercial jobs anymore and in domestics I tell the client of the risks involved and let them decide if they want to take the risk.

The safest way is to use a secure landline that can't be accessed by over head lines or in the access boxes at the side of the house.

but how can it stop the gsm unit from sending out a signal? the jammer would have to be long range???wouldnt it:confused:

It works the way the name of it suggests. Blocks the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

The new GSM unit will also have home automation and will work like the old GSM but you will need an output card to give you enough outputs to trip the home automation outputs. As far as i know it wont be out until the end of the summer.

Cadzer wrote: »
    The new GSM unit will also have home automation and will work like the old GSM but you will need an output card to give you enough outputs to trip the home automation outputs. As far as i know it wont be out until the end of the summer.

Good to know it can be used in conjunction with an output card. That will give more control over zoned heating, different lights etc..

It works the way the name of it suggests. Blocks the signal.
    ok i get the idea..just an example...yale alarms can only recieve one wireless signal at a time...so when u open the sensor while already using another 433.92mhz device the panel focuses on the first 433.92 signal it gets..ie a car fob...so the alarm wont activate.....but the yale sensor stills sends out a signal its just that the panel that cant recieve more than one ...but gsm must still send out a signal ..if they make a gsm that only sends out signals rather than recieve them....blockers should be useless...this is just an idea but it kinda makes sense

ok i get the idea..just an example...yale alarms can only recieve one wireless signal at a time...so when u open the sensor while already using another 433.92mhz device the panel focuses on the first 433.92 signal it gets..ie a car fob...so the alarm wont activate.....but the yale sensor stills sends out a signal its just that the panel that cant recieve more than one ...but gsm must still send out a signal ..if they make a gsm that only sends out signals rather than recieve them....blockers should be useless...this is just an idea but it kinda makes sense

Yes but with a blocker the signal does not reach the network to send on the information as there is no signal for the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Garco

ok so if i get an rj11 socket do i need a crimp tool to install it to the cable from the alarm??? also where can i get one of these sockets??

Garco wrote: »
    ok so if i get an rj11 socket do i need a crimp tool to install it to the cable from the alarm??? also where can i get one of these sockets??

Most of the suppliers here should have a double RJ11 socket in stock. I would ring a few close to you first to get a price and to make sure they have them. You will need a crimped cable from the modem to the socket. At the back of the socket you can crimp in the cable going to the alarm panel. You may or you may not need a crimp tool, If you can slice the cable to reveal the copper cable it should go in grand. To be sure of contact and correct contact you could test it with a meter if you have one.

• Advertisement

Most of the suppliers here should have a double RJ11 socket in stock. I would ring a few close to you first to get a price and to make sure they have them. You will need a crimped cable from the modem to the socket. At the back of the socket you can crimp in the cable going to the alarm panel. You may or you may not need a crimp tool, If you can slice the cable to reveal the copper cable it should go in grand. To be sure of contact and correct contact you could test it with a meter if you have one.

I agree,this is probably the way forward for the OP. No point him splashing out on a crimps set for one plug.

Advertisement