Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I work there, and I have never seen anyone challenge anyone at bikes with any tools. I regularly shout "Oi! Is that your bike!" and they scarper off. I do it about once a week during term. There are lots and lots of bikes stolen from all over campus during term. Take a walk around the woodland walk. The scrotes tend to work the campus for a couple of days, and hide their haul in the bushes and come back later to collect them. You might be lucky.

Thanks I'll have a look around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Thanks. Yeah it was the orange kryptonite lock. Attached to a standard n shaped bike rack on campus. The rack is only about 10 metres away from the main concourse where there's always people around so I'm surprised they were that brazen.

I'm sorry your bike was taken - gutting.
    Was the lock cut and left on the floor?
    Are you 100% sure you locked it to the steel U bar?

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I'm sorry your bike was taken - gutting.
    Was the lock cut and left on the floor?
    Are you 100% sure you locked it to the steel U bar?

No, nothing was left behind.

Yeah I'm sure as the way the rack is built your bike can't lean on it properly without being locked, it would fall off. Went up to Donnybrook and reported it missing. They've advised the cameras usually are on top of buildings in UCD so its often impossible to see who took a bike. Looking at putting a little tracker in the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

No, nothing was left behind.

Yeah I'm sure as the way the rack is built your bike can't lean on it properly without being locked, it would fall off. Went up to Donnybrook and reported it missing. They've advised the cameras usually are on top of buildings in UCD so its often impossible to see who took a bike. Looking at putting a little tracker in the next one.
    Considering there are so many bikes around UCD you would imagine they could train some cameras to target the bike thieves.
    Maybe go and ask at the services desk (lower ground floor Ag bldg) about renting one of the bike lockers near the sports centre.
    Sorry again they took your bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I work there, and I have never seen anyone challenge anyone at bikes with any tools. I regularly shout "Oi! Is that your bike!" and they scarper off. I do it about once a week during term. There are lots and lots of bikes stolen from all over campus during term. Take a walk around the woodland walk. The scrotes tend to work the campus for a couple of days, and hide their haul in the bushes and come back later to collect them. You might be lucky.

Is there a cycling club in the college? Would it be worth getting the members together to trawl the woods regularly and remove any bikes hidden there?
    Considering there are so many bikes around UCD you would imagine they could train some cameras to target the bike thieves.
    Maybe go and ask at the services desk (lower ground floor Ag bldg) about renting one of the bike lockers near the sports centre.

Again, if there's a bike club it might be possible to put up some hidden cameras, and some posters of people watching.

The bike thieves probably think in terms of "Ah, rich students, sure they'll just go out and buy another", which is no longer the case.

• Advertisement

Thanks, it was actually the rack outside the services desk that it was taken from. Thought that would be the safest spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

How about this as a nasty surprise for bike thieves! I think you may need facebook to view this video.

https://www.facebook.com/DailyDistractionNet/videos/1296714670354817/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How about this as a nasty surprise for bike thieves! I think you may need facebook to view this video.

https://www.facebook.com/DailyDistractionNet/videos/1296714670354817/
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Hi gang,

Just had my baby stolen from bayside shops last Thursday evening

Would anyone take a guess where a bike stolen in bayside would end up ?

It's a mountain bike with tigerstriped paint job so it's probably resprayed so I'm just asking people to look out for a mavic rim with a single speed cog and also a Raleigh 52t crank for sale on the usual sites in case any slip past me

is there any other leads I can follow ? I'm gonna check a few of the second hand bike shops around Dublin and go for a long coffee on Moore street

completely unrelated but where can a fellow purchase a Stanley blade ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Piotr.Rak

Hi Everyone,

Me and my friend had two bikes stolen Saturday night from the back garden.
    Mine - 2015 Trek 1.1 (Claris groupset), 58cm frame, with Shimano SPD-SL pedals
    Bike have paint chipped in couple places and right end of handlebar cap and tape ripped slightly due to accident.

My friend's Scott black hybrid, blue logo, disc break - don't know much details about this one.

Unable to post links as I'm new user :(

• Advertisement

Sorry, forgot to add...
    The bikes were stolen in Drimnagh, Dublin 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Piotr.Rak wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Bike have paint chipped in couple places and right end of handlebar cap and tape ripped slightly due to accident.

My friend's Scott black hybrid, blue logo, disc break - don't know much details about this one.

Photos from Piotr.Rak.
    Lc2xopi.jpg?1

uICWRUa.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Horiozn

Had 3 bikes stolen from my van and shed on Sunday night/Monday morning in Clonskeagh :(

1. Cube Peloton Pro 2014, 56 cm, blue, white & black coloured frame,red handlebar tape, black raceblade mudguards, saddlebag
    2. Trek 7.5 FX hybrid, 20 " black frame, bullbars, metallic mudguards
    3. Alpha Mercury single speed - distinctive frame - mustard coloured, oval bull bars, bright green handlebar tape, rainbow-coloured saddle

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lismuse

Piotr.Rak wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

There is a "very similar" bike to your Trek for sale now on Adverts.ie, you should have a look !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

lismuse wrote: »
    There is a "very similar" bike to your Trek for sale now on Adverts.ie, you should have a look !!!

Looks a lot smaller than a 58. Did you have any lights on it op?

"Road bike trek like new !"

lismuse wrote: »

Thanks. I saw this one and my heart went off! But.. My one is 1.5 years old with distinguishable wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    Hi gang,

Just had my baby stolen from bayside shops last Thursday evening

Would anyone take a guess where a bike stolen in bayside would end up ?

My bike, stolen from Bayside last year, was allegedly sold at Balbriggan market within a week, according to the Garda. I have photographic proof it was unaltered apart from a change in saddle (so respray is completely out).

Have you got a serial number and photo to report to Howth Garda station?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

Well, between the raid in Limerick before Christmas, and this stop at Rosslare, there is no doubt that the highend stuff is leaving the country. Wonder if the new Gubberment will look into the ridiculous amounts of bike thefts now?

http://www.thejournal.ie/stolen-property-lorry-rosslare-2626359-Feb2016/

Info on the Limerick raid.

[url] http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/garda-op-uncovers-stolen-bike-export-racket-in-limerick-369298.html[/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, just posted in the off topic forum as I thought it would get more views there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 doney21

My Specialized expedition was locked a a secure car park at Hanover Wharf and stolen last night. Thieves pushed open the security gate and cut through the lock.
    The bike was black and silver with mudguards, mint condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭finto

Hi All,

My bike was stolen from Eastpoint Business park during daylight hours 10am-6pm Friday 11th March 2016. Bike is a Trek 4300 mountain bike. Black and white with bull bars on the front and Disc Brakes. Should be an easy spot.

Photo :

https://flic.kr/p/EKMygS

Appreciate people keeping an eye out for it.

Cheers
    Fintan

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Stolen in Dublin city. Just like this but with a Black saddle. Note it does have the distinctive white trim on wheel rims and handle grips though.
    DSCF1330.jpg

If you have any info please PM me without mentioning anything publicly here - I have to imagine anyone making a habit of stealing people's bikes is copped on enough to read here regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

My sisters brand new Carrera Axle hybrid bike was stolen from stillorgan luas line yesturday. Had a kryptonite lock (the silver one) cut.
    W@nkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My sisters brand new Carrera Axle hybrid bike was stolen from stillorgan luas line yesturday. Had a kryptonite lock (the silver one) cut.
    W@nkers!
    I had that same lock, the key broke in mine and I went down with a large hacksaw and it could not get a bite on it at all. I had a cable lock on it too which I wanted to save but had to resort to cutting the cable lock and carry the locked bike home for miles. Took a good minute to get through it with an angle grinder so I guess that is what these scumbags used too.

Quote from an house insurer arrived today and there's a specific clause saying that for pedal cycles there's no cover for loss or damage in Dublin city or County.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Quote from an house insurer arrived today and there's a specific clause saying that for pedal cycles there's no cover for loss or damage in Dublin city or County.

Try 123.ie - they definitely provide cover

The quote was with An Post, we're not going with them for other reasons but that's a clause I haven't noticed before with other policies. Can only be due to the large number of thefts within the city and the likelihood if you own one, it will be stolen at some point. I've had mine insured with Zurich as a specified risk up until now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The quote was with An Post, we're not going with them for other reasons but that's a clause I haven't noticed before with other policies. Can only be due to the large number of thefts within the city and the likelihood if you own one, it will be stolen at some point. I've had mine insured with Zurich as a specified risk up until now.
    Could also be due to college students. When I was in colege my parents house insurance covered my laptop and bike when away from home, and they clarified this extended to when I was at college.

Maybe a possibility, or maybe the theft rates in Dublin are just to high in dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

Eastway hybrid FB 3.0 2014
    Grey, in good condition.
    Stolen outside Blackrock Shopping Centre this evening just before 6pm.

Here's a photo of the bike brand new

Advertisement