Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

cython wrote: »
    Not much good to you now, but generally it's stamped/engraved on the underside of the bottom bracket (can vary across manufacturers though). Depending on where you bought it (since you say almost new), the shop might have recorded this when it was sold, so no harm in asking them if they have it.

I bought it off a guy about 18 months ago from donedeal. He seemed legit, was at his house and he basically said he was too lazy to use it. I hadn't used it much so it was in brand new condition really, I had been using another bike.
    Oh well, I'm pretty p*ssed off but in future I'll need to be more vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

On a probably trivial matter here considering the cost of some of the bikes listed on this thread....parked my bike and locked securely as I went into a local shop and someone took my Go_pro bike mount off the handlebars. No GoPro was attached luckily!

Probably in shop 10 minutes tops!.

I know it no big deal - they cheap on ebay.... but just highlighting the need to watch your stuff when out and about.

(When I think about the number of times I left my Garmin on my bike while outside a coffee shop..... thats a lesson learned for me going forward!1)

So I just spoke with security in our office, they were showing me the cams, we have crystal clear footage of where it was taken and can zoom in etc, then an even better angle after he moved from there so I need to report this to Garda and then there's a procedure we've to go through due to Data Protection act, but eventually our CCTV contractors should be able to get the guy and give it to the Garda. ]
    I doubt I'll get the bike back but hopefully the f**ker is known to the Garda and some justice might be served.

The Garda seemed almost certain stolen bikes nearly all go to a certain shop in town. I'm gonna check it out tomorrow. I won't mention it here but contact me if you need a heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The Garda seemed almost certain stolen bikes nearly all go to a certain shop in town. I'm gonna check it out tomorrow. I won't mention it here but contact me if you need a heads up.

Wouldn't mind a pm. My town bike was swipped yesterday. Little toe rags cut the bike rack with an angle grinder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

The Garda seemed almost certain stolen bikes nearly all go to a certain shop in town.

Surely a sting operation would be very easy to confirm.

"Ah yeah, these lads sell all the stolen property around here; sure they're always at it!"
    FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Couple new carrera MTBs on the Garda Flickr page with a Brompton commuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Smurphette wrote: »
    This bike was stolen from a bike cage in an underground car park in Kilmainham. It has a black water bottle holder on it.

Thanks

I am nearly sure i saw this this evening, coming into my apartment block as i was going out, also in kilmaimham. Did you get it back? The guy cycling it came in the security gate so presumably lives in my block, and did not appear to be of the scobey variety

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

KXBdgUc.jpg

Stolen from inside the house in Castleknock last night. Shifters and derailleurs are now Shimano 5800 and the bartape is just black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

niceonetom wrote: »
    KXBdgUc.jpg

Stolen from inside the house in Castleknock last night. Shifters and derailleurs are now Shimano 5800 and the bartape is just black.
    really sorry for your loss niceonetom, that looks like a really nice bike, hopefully you get some good luck on it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Ditto.
    But I fancy it showing up before too long ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

KXBdgUc.jpg

That is Brutal, very sorry to hear that.

Anything else taken from the break in?

I'm in Carpenderstown, its becoming a common thing with nothing being done by the Garda unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Anything else taken from the break in?

Various electronics etc.

I've realised that they took a set of TT wheels too - an unbranded carbon clincher disc rear and a Mavic Carbonne SL front, with Veloflex tanwall tyres.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Various electronics etc.

I've realised that they took a set of TT wheels too - an unbranded carbon clincher disc rear and a Mavic Carbonne SL front, with Veloflex tanwall tyres.
    Some high level stuff there NOT - sorry to hear about that

That suggests they were not targeting bike stuff and may not have a ready avenue of disposal. Definitely worth keeping an eye on the regular online outlets and for anyone who may be looking for high level gear to make sure they checkout any "non-regular" sources properly

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ltc1987

Giant Liv Alight City XS -dark blue
    Stolen at Islandbridge, Dublin 8 on either July 30 or 31
    I've reported this to the Gardai, has anyone had any luck getting a bike recovered? I even doubled locked this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Type 901

Will never see this again and no where near the value of others here but thought I'd put it up on the off chance!

Had the front wheel stolen off my bike from my apartment's underground carpark in Killester on Friday 05/08/2016.

Wheel had a Maillard hub(i think), Maillard quick release skewer, Mavic rim and new Conti GP4000S tyre fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Trek mad one 3.1 recovered by gardai in Dunlaoighre

Check out @GardaTraffic's Tweet: https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/762751100013383683?s=09

762751100013383683?s=09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Heard recently of a European immigrant having bike stolen. He had his name engraved on it, and the Gardaí got it back almost instantly. Anywhere doing this in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Giant SCR Ltd. stolen from garden shed in Drimnagh today. Absolutely gutted :(
    There are not many of these around - in fact I have never seen another in Dublin and had it ordered in from Giant in USA. Would appreciate any word if someone sees it around or for sale.

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/6441/tlIFoy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just ran some jk scumbag off stealing a fixie on Harcourt Street junction bike rack. Tied on with a combination lock.

Sitting as a car passenger knew he was up to no good and then he started pulling the bike with force bailed out of the car and started running at him he immediately stops strolls off shouting some ****e back at me.

So if you have your fixie tied up there go get yourself a proper lock please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

Saw two lads making off with two bikes that were locked at the bottom of Smithfield at lunchtime. Heard the lock hitting the ground but took a minute for me to put it together. One had a bike messenger bag on his back, reckon he had his tool in that. Right beside where the tour buses pull in, a couple right beside it oblivious to the whole episode.

Them making my way home along the quays and a head-the-ball cycles straight at me against the flow of traffic. A couple of young lads came sprinting around the corner at the Halpenny Bridge looking for him frantically. Pointed them in the right direction, hopefully they caught him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

My Boardman was robbed from the Luas stop at Stephen's Green last week. Been keeping an eye out on Adverts and Donedeal but nothing showing up. If there's such a large amount of bikes being robbed surely there are some dodgy shops offloading them? If anyone has any knowledge of where one could find such establishments and could DM me I'd really appreciate it.

Also, anyone with experience in this.. I went to the Guards and reported it, they said they would check out the CCTV but no word back from then since. I understand they can't put huge amounts of time into every bike that's robbed but is it cheeky for me to ring up and ask did they get the CCTV and what is showed?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

My Boardman was robbed from the Luas stop at Stephen's Green last week. Been keeping an eye out on Adverts and Donedeal but nothing showing up. If there's such a large amount of bikes being robbed surely there are some dodgy shops offloading them? If anyone has any knowledge of where one could find such establishments and could DM me I'd really appreciate it.

Also, anyone with experience in this.. I went to the Guards and reported it, they said they would check out the CCTV but no word back from then since. I understand they can't put huge amounts of time into every bike that's robbed but is it cheeky for me to ring up and ask did they get the CCTV and what is showed?

From my experience gards don't hold a record of every bike reported stolen (or at least is not properly documented): probably if you ring the garda station where you reported the theft, unless you get the same agent, he/she won't even know what you are talking about. This was about 5 years ago not sure if anything has changed now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If anyone has or knows of someone that has had a juicy bikes e bike stolen in the last while possibly a good few months ago. I have some details as to its whereabouts.

Plan to contact the supplier to see if they have an owners data Base failing that it will be dropped to gardai and more than likely head to auction.

It was someone's pride and joy at some point and not a cheap investment. I would assume it was stolen in Dublin area.

Screenshot_2016-08-12-09-13-23_zpsh7lt2nom.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

darconio wrote: »
    From my experience gards don't hold a record of every bike reported stolen (or at least is not properly documented): probably if you ring the garda station where you reported the theft, unless you get the same agent, he/she won't even know what you are talking about. This was about 5 years ago not sure if anything has changed now

Bike thefts have never been reported as part of the annual crime statistics, because they would make the statistics look so disastrous. If the Gardaí and other police forces decided to put a stop to the stealing of bicycles it would have some extraordinary effect on society!

Would it be possible to auto-link all bike images and time-place descriptions on this thread to Twitter, or would that be difficult?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Chuchote wrote: »

Would it be possible to auto-link all bike images and time-place descriptions on this thread to Twitter, or would that be difficult?
    Can't imagine it would be easy at all, and equally I could not imagine the development team having time to put in place anything facilitating something like this.

Of course, anyone can link to the thread or individual posts from Twitter, but I suspect that's going to be about as far as you can go. The best place to get a definitive answer would be in the Site Development forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Seen this and thought of you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Read about this one, turns out it belonged to a Guard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Read about this one, turns out it belonged to a Guard

hmmm, well it does now, just like the 50 notes in wallets handed in or swiss army knives taken off young lads...

Advertisement