Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Chuchote wrote: »
    There really needs to be a Garda publicity campaign about the fact that if you buy something that might be stolen, you're helping to support the theft industry.
    I was glad to see someone advertising a Cannondale on adverts.ie today with the receipt photographed to prove ownership (with identifiers blacked out).

If the advertising companies required sellers to include the serial number in photographic and text format on every advert, it would cut down sales of stolen bikes overnight. Anyone who had a bike stolen could set up an alert for their serial number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Health and Safety.

Surely it represents a health and safety issue for the gardai also. I mean he's in cuffs for a reason. Some of the scum they deal with should be hog tied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Hilarious

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/comment/dr-hutch-bitter-experience-bike-nicked-284412

Not easy to be funny about bike theft but he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Scott Speedster 15 just stolen from my garden shed :( 10.30pm, Dublin 12.

So sorry to hear. My Giant Road bike was taken from my shed in Dublin 12 around a month ago. There is a spate of such thefts in the area at the moment targeting higher end bikes. Probably the same people took yours that took mine :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Jegger

Hi,
    First time poster here. Had my bike stolen while I was on holidays. I got the bike through bike-to-work back in June and now I am completely devastated. Here are the details:
    Bike: Cube Attain Pro 58cm
    Colour: White (with red and black)
    Serial Number: 52509-61-WOW28953PSHL
    Other details: It had a small light at the front and a small black cycling computer. Standard Pedals.
    Lock: ABUS 950100 Cable Lock
    Date Stolen: Last saw the Bike about 6pm Friday 9th of September. Noticed it was gone Monday 19th of September 7am.
    The bike was locked in an underground bike cage in the Beacon South Quarter in Sandyford. You need a FOB to access the bike cage and to exit it. There were about 3 or 4 bike locks ripped to pieces on the ground so it looks like they got a good few bikes.
    Images attached are the lock after and the bike when it was just bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

Being a relatively new bike owner and after reading the last 10 or so pages on here with bike theft so bad in Dublin it appears the only somewhat 'safe' place to leave your bike is indoors preferably in an upstairs room?

Garden sheds out the back or underground car parks don't seem safe at all these days. Wish there was better laws in place about selling secondhand bikes.

golfer555 wrote: »
    Being a relatively new bike owner and after reading the last 10 or so pages on here with bike theft so bad in Dublin it appears the only somewhat 'safe' place to leave your bike is indoors preferably in an upstairs room?

Garden sheds out the back or underground car parks don't seem safe at all these days. Wish there was better laws in place about selling second bikes.

Wish there was enforcement of the existing laws about receiving stolen property!

I notice that advertisers on adverts.ie are starting to mention that they have the original receipt, and sometimes adding a photo of it, with name and address details etc blocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi jegger sorry to hear that but if you are replacing get a much better lock as they are unbelievably easy to cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

golfer555 wrote: »
    only somewhat 'safe' place to leave your bike is indoors preferably in an upstairs room?
    You would still want it locked to something heavy in the room.

I had one in the extension at the back of the house, but it was visible, so my worry is they would go over back walls sketching out houses and see the bike and so know it was worthwhile to go in, and then take other stuff too.

Getting my heavy bike up my own awkward stairs would be a nightmare on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

So sorry to hear. My Giant Road bike was taken from my shed in Dublin 12 around a month ago. There is a spate of such thefts in the area at the moment targeting higher end bikes. Probably the same people took yours that took mine :(.

I saw a grey Giant being cycled by somebody who looks like they enjoy a couple of hits of heroin every day down at the Eurospar in Inchicore on Sunday. The bike looked particularly well cared for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Skiera

Stolen bike from Waterford:

GIANT Roam 3 Medium
    Serial number: K65046149
    Black
    It has attached the small part near back wheel for baby trailor
    Has the sticker from Altitude on the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I saw a grey Giant being cycled by somebody who looks like they enjoy a couple of hits of heroin every day down at the Eurospar in Inchicore on Sunday. The bike looked particularly well cared for

Allegedly, there are lots of dopers on top end bikes these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Friends bike stolen ... if spotted please let me know.

397524.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Hi All,

Sad to have to post here but :

Green Trek Mountain bike (probably a 90's model - not sure of the exact model) stolen from internal storage area in our apartment building in Limerick city centre. Bike was unlocked and in amongst other bikes. Taken by someone gaining access to the back of the building - probably after 8pm and bike was gone when I left this morning at about 7.45am.

Details : Green Trek mountain bike, with visible patches of rust, steel frame, suspension - rock shock indy, slick Schwalbe tyres, 20 inch frame, silver handlebars with bull bars, plastic mud guards.

No photos. Garda are coming to take a report soon - not sure much will come of it but anyway.

Parchment wrote: »
    Hi All,

Sad to have to post here but :

Green Trek Mountain bike (probably a 90's model - not sure of the exact model) stolen from internal storage area in our apartment building in Limerick city centre. Bike was unlocked and in amongst other bikes. Taken by someone gaining access to the back of the building - probably after 8pm and bike was gone when I left this morning at about 7.45am.

Details : Green Trek mountain bike, with visible patches of rust, steel frame, suspension - rock shock indy, slick Schwalbe tyres, 20 inch frame, silver handlebars with bull bars, plastic mud guards.

No photos. Garda are coming to take a report soon - not sure much will come of it but anyway.

Update: I just came home from work today and went to take a look at the place where the bike was taken from....AND THE BIKE WAS BACK! its so bizarre. It has two flat tires so i dont think someone took it for a late night spin home and planned on dropping it back today.

All the doors were locked into the building so unless someone from the building took it (which i actually doubt) it was some work men who were doing work in an apartment last night and dropped it back this morning when they had access to the building.

A miracle! I hope others who posted here will get their bikes back too.

Update: I just came home from work today and went to take a look at the place where the bike was taken from....AND THE BIKE WAS BACK! its so bizarre. It has two flat tires so i dont think someone took it for a late night spin home and planned on dropping it back today.

All the doors were locked into the building so unless someone from the building took it (which i actually doubt) it was some work men who were doing work in an apartment last night and dropped it back this morning when they had access to the building.

A miracle! I hope others who posted here will get their bikes back too.

It's not… a little heavier, or anything? Check inside the tubes?

It's not… a little heavier, or anything? Check inside the tubes?

I am confused?! or very innocent.

I am confused?! or very innocent.

Or perhaps I'm confused, or very paranoid!

Or perhaps I'm confused, or very paranoid!

drugs? i am totally confused and maybe you are paranoid. Im getting dressed to go and check it!

Probably nothing in it (literally). It was the combination of someone talking about dopers on high-end bikes and a derelicto-sounding bike disappearing and reappearing that made me hmm. If the tyres had been inflated you'd say yeah, they borrowed it to get home and brought it back…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Thank you. Will keep my eyes peeled.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MacG14

Hi all,
    My Giant Anthem mountain bike was stolen from a locked bike shed in the basement of the locked underground carpark in my apartment complex in Ringsend, Dublin. It was secured with a heavy chain and lock which the thief has also taken.
    Please see below the specs & photo of the bike. I would be glad to hear from anyone who sees it about, many thanks.

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Giant Anthem X 26 inch wheels[/font][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]
    Lightweight Aluxx SL frameset
    Size Large
    XT Crankset 24-32-42
    XT Cassette 10 speed 11-34
    XT Pedals
    XT Derailleur
    XT Shifters
    XT brakes
    Fox RP2 rearshock
    Fox RL 32 fork (white)
    Mavic 819 rims on Hope Pro 2 hubs
    Ignitor UST tubeless tyres 26*2.35[/font]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

MacG14 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    My Giant Anthem mountain bike was stolen from a locked bike shed in the basement of the locked underground carpark in my apartment complex in Ringsend, Dublin. It was secured with a heavy chain and lock which the thief has also taken.
    Feckin hell, assuming that it was chained/locked to a stand of some kind, there really isn't much more you can do to secure a bike in an apartment building. Sorry for your loss - PM me if you want me to add a link to a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If the tyres had been inflated you'd say yeah, they borrowed it to get home and brought it back…
    I am still thinking it could have been "borrowed", then let the air out of the tyres so it does not get properly nicked when left back unlocked. I deflated my own tires a few times to put thieves off, bike was locked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Jegger

FYI: Garda have updated their Flicker page with loads of new recovered property pics from 22nd of September. There are a lot of bikes in there. Hopefully some people here will find their bike. https://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/sets/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭De Bhál

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SDineen

Hi all,
    My bike was stolen from a garden shed in Inchicore on Monday night. The model is a Scott Atacama x70, male bike bought in 2013. The frame number is: 121224690. It's a black bike with black mudguards and a fixture at front and back for lights. There might also be a heavy duty black lock around the front frame of the bike. Would be grateful if anyone who spots it could let me know. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

my brothers bike was robbed today in Cellbridge, lock was cut. he only took up cycling a few months back and has already done some 100k rides, hopefully its found, but I wouldnt hold my breath

14470540_1324831674196540_7307949819713095980_n.jpg?oh=f888db738796558a6a6d47ca452d1741&oe=586FFD88

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

If anybody is missing a new, full size black racer stolen today, then Pearse Street Garda Station has it. Thankfully, the unfortunate who tried to sell it to me is also in there.

I won't mention the brand to prevent somebody "collecting" it (not that visitors to this thread would). The bike is at the cheaper end of the scale and was bought in Dublin recently. I already checked with the shop that sold it (sticker visible during interaction) and it wasn't stolen from them.

Credit for alerting the guards goes to staff of a nearby cafe. They had the Gardai on their way even before I could get my call to the station in.

Advertisement