Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

More bike thefts in North County Dublin. Stolen from shed in Balrothery last night . Please be on the look out

AAA_zpsohgbbbdt.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would be interesting to know how many of these thefts appear to be targetted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

would be interesting to know how many of these thefts appear to be targetted.

A year or so back people here were warning Strava users to blank out the 500 metres or so around their homes, because thieves were using Strava to find nice bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I wouldn't be able to sleep with my roadbike out in a shed every night in Dublin tbh and its nowhere near as nice as the ones that get posted in here every day, at some point people need to realise a garden shed is just a gift to the thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭jamesd

Thargor wrote: »
    I wouldn't be able to sleep with my roadbike out in a shed every night in Dublin tbh and its nowhere near as nice as the ones that get posted in here every day, at some point people need to realise a garden shed is just a gift to the thieves.

If I as in dublin id have one of these on the garage door - https://www.airsoftworld.net/door-mine-booby-trap-or-alarm.html

• Advertisement

Unless it's haunted…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

jamesd wrote: »
    If I as in dublin id have one of these on the garage door - https://www.airsoftworld.net/door-mine-booby-trap-or-alarm.html

You'd probably be sued and lose if a thief came to harm

This, then?

small.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Masala wrote: »
    If people are using garden sheds.. Would it be better to remove front wheel and keep the wheel in the House???
    Sure, if you want to have a spare wheel when your bike is nicked :D
    At the end of the day it's all about how difficult you make it. Unless you have a shed that's concrete everything (roof included), with a 3-inch steel door and no windows, and your bike triple-shackled to ground anchors inside, there is a weak point that any thief can exploit. You just need to make it more than a 3-minute job to get your bike and ideally a noisy job to do it.

I have mine in a basic wooden bearna shed. They come with a sliding latch that you can lock. But that's a waste because it's just nailed in place - a quick flick with a crowbar and the entire latch can be removed with minimal fuss.

So I added a hasp lock which is bolted through the frame of the door. You can't touch the padlock with a bolt cutters, so you'd need to smash the door and frame to get past it.

But that's not that hard for a young lad with a big crowbar who's tripping balls. Plus, the windows are perspex. So beefing up the door lock is a bit much when they could choose the other way in.

So inside the shed, the bike is chained with a heavy duty chain. The chain runs out through the wall of the shed, wraps around an old dog gate (just bolted to the wall of the shed) with steel bars, back around one of the supporting uprights of the shed and back into the shed around the bike.

You can try cut the lock. Or you can try cut through the bars of the gate and the wall of the shed, to release the bike.

I'm under no illusion that the bike is very secure, but I know it's very unattractive. If someone can get into the shed and practically half dismantle the shed just to get the bike out, then lift the bike into my neighbour's garden to make an escape, and manage not to get anyone's attention while doing that, then fnck it they deserve to get away with the prize.

In effect I've gone for the "concrete bucket" method advised above, but instead of a concrete bucket, there's a bearna shed. The bike isn't secured in the shed, the shed is just a large and annoying object to which my bike is attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Sure, if you want to have a spare wheel when your bike is nicked

I only suggesting it to stop the little scumbag who just cycles off down the road with your bike. It a risk-reducing measure only.... if its a set of pro-thieves with a white van outside your house to load them up...well thats another ball game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would take myself into the Tuggers (Hill) market early Saturday morning on North Cumberland Street between Sean McDermott Street and Parnell Street. By early I mean from 6.30 am or so. Watch what appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Drury St carpark warning:
    Saw a kryptonite lock cut up (looked like bolt cutters) on the floor of Drury St carpark the other night.
    Tried to tell reception but there was no one there.
    Can't be sure it was a stolen bike, but can't think why else the lock would be left on the floor.
    I'd hope someone would speak up if they saw anyone dodgy in Drury St, it's my favourite place to park, always think of it as a little ant colony with all the cyclist ants busily coming and going.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Weepsie wrote: »
    You'd probably be sued and lose if a thief came to harm

I would say its more probable that he would not even sue in the first place, let alone win.

topic was asked a few years back.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056022182

In what I think is the highly unlikely event that he did sue & win you could set up a "fund me" site, I know I would chip in.

In the UK 1 in 20 houses allegedly have booby traps.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/5278034/One-in-20-householders-set-booby-traps-for-burglars.html

I wonder how many injured burglars sucessfully sue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Saw a kryptonite lock cut up (looked like bolt cutters) on the floor of Drury St carpark the other night.
    angle grinder, i'd guess.

Dublin City Council has offered development funds to five companies with a good track record to develop bike tracking systems https://mannixflynn.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/bike-stuff-n-gadgets-awards/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gillypig

stupid question i know - but as he was working for deliveroo at the time of the theft, are they offering any assistance re insurance?

Hey, not a stupid question at all. No unfortunately not. When you work for Deliveroo technically your self employed so you get nothing from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Chuchote wrote: »
    Dublin City Council has offered development funds to five companies with a good track record to develop bike tracking systems https://mannixflynn.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/bike-stuff-n-gadgets-awards/

Did I read that right, it said bike theft was was valued at 20,000 per annum. Is that missing a zero. That's just 20 good bikes. The bikes robbed thread here would cover that easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cogsie

My Karma Klein was stolen from the bike stand at the "Stillorgan" Luas Stop (which is near Sandyford/Beacon area). It was locked, but not well enough :-(
    I left it at 9:30am, and returned to find it gone about 6:30pm Tuesday Oct. 11 2016

I can't post a link/embed a picture, as I'm a boards noob, it's a Karma Klein Hybrid Red frame, with black details. "Klein" in black on the down tube, "Karma" in black on the crossbar; carbon forks with black details.

I've had this bike awhile (9years!), but it was in very good repair, and greatly missed.

Cogsie wrote: »
    My Karma Klein was stolen from the bike stand at the "Stillorgan" Luas Stop (which is near Sandyford/Beacon area). It was locked, but not well enough :-(
    I left it at 9:30am, and returned to find it gone about 6:30pm Tuesday Oct. 11 2016

I can't post a link/embed a picture, as I'm a boards noob, it's a Karma Klein Hybrid Red frame, with black details. "Klein" in black on the down tube, "Karma" in black on the crossbar; carbon forks with black details.

I've had this bike awhile (9years!), but it was in very good repair, and greatly missed.

Stick up the pic on another site, post the link here and I'll link to it so the pic can be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cogsie

Thanks! - I can't put in the full URL - there is a good pic here - v2uploads.zopim.io/2/z/g/2zgOdjgQXF8J939xDPcyM1powGptVz7Y/1067081-d6fvQ6Es4fF71U-507eeb3464b8caf7dd1dd9db9f3dd58bb4a5d79e.jpg
    That needs the 'https" and '://" prefix (beause of my noob status I can't put the URL inline, so I hope my splitting apart works)

• Advertisement

Cogsie wrote: »

Picture of Cogsie's bike below:

1067081-d6fvQ6Es4fF71U-507eeb3464b8caf7dd1dd9db9f3dd58bb4a5d79e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

My sister had her bike taken from the LUAS line in stillorgan to, I've seen young lads myself pulling at peoples locks many times there to test them I assume, it's a really common spot unfortunately. I never lock mine there. I've seen them there in the early afternoon going from bike to bike checking them. No hoods up either, they don't give a fck if they get caught I don't think.

My sister had her bike taken from the LUAS line in stillorgan to, I've seen young lads myself pulling at peoples locks many times there to test them I assume, it's a really common spot unfortunately. I never lock mine there. I've seen them there in the early afternoon going from bike to bike checking them. No hoods up either, they don't give a fck if they get caught I don't think.

No CCTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

De Bhál wrote: »
    Did I read that right, it said bike theft was was valued at 20,000 per annum. Is that missing a zero.
    think it was supposed to be 20,000 bikes

http://irishcycle.com/2014/11/06/close-to-20000-bicycles-stolen-per-year-in-dublin-campaign-claims/

Reported bike thefts were something like 6,000 bikes last year, I think, and extrapolating from the known fact that, shockingly, only around 1 in 4 people who have a bike stolen report the theft to the Gardaí, it's thought that 20,000 bikes were actually stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cloonamnaman

Apologies if this is slightly off thread but feel obliged to ask for opinions on best response to a highly suspicious 2nd hand bike seller I recently came across on DD, One of the several bikes this person had I would have bought but became suspicious when he neatly avoided letting me know where he lived, and only using a UK mobile number and somehow having no documentation on a 2016 bike.

my response would be that if it's a case that your spidey senses are tingling, walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cloonamnaman

I should be clearer, I was keen to buy a great bike from this seller but not if it was someone else's, for me there was little doubt. My suspicions go further though, since more nearly new bikes are still offered from same person it looks more like an organised racket perhaps with bikes stolen in UK then sold here. I phoned the Guards but they weren't interested so I was hoping for some kind of group or forum/ data base that this could be brought to?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Any idea where the person is based? Go to the local gardai in that area. If the Desk Garda does not have any interest, get a mail for the Super and send in all your relevant data to them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I should be clearer, I was keen to buy a great bike from this seller but not if it was someone else's, for me there was little doubt. My suspicions go further though, since more nearly new bikes are still offered from same person it looks more like an organised racket perhaps with bikes stolen in UK then sold here. I phoned the Guards but they weren't interested so I was hoping for some kind of group or forum/ data base that this could be brought to?

Maybe get in touch with http://www.bikeregister.ie/ and pass the info onto them to see if they've any matches to listed stolen bikes. I did this for a bike I fancied online but reckoned was stolen. Turned out the bike was stolen and got re-united with its owner.

Advertisement