Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lucy_H

josip wrote: »
    Best to do this before the cctv footage gets overwritten.
    The first point of contact will probably be reluctant to do a lot since it's extra hassle for them and they probably have little or no interest in recovering your bike.
    Similarly for the gardai in my experience, they will take notes but beyond relying on the frame number in their database to identify the bike should it ever be recovered, there's not much they can/will do.

You need to request a face to face meeting with the head of security in UCD to review the footage captured at the gates at the time of the theft, any CCTV covering the general area where the bike was locked.
    If you encounter any reluctance you need to make it clear that you will escalate the issue of security on campus as far as possible.

Many people only take action when they realise that not doing so, will actually increase their workload.

Thanks for the advice, will definitely do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

Stolen Brompton, very unusual frame so please keep an eye out... copy and pasted from friends blurb below...

Brompton Foldable Bicycle
    Stolen between 29th Dec 2016 and 2nd Jan 2017
    From The Tailors’ Hall, Christchurch, Dublin 8.

Unusual looking and rare bike with 16 inch (i.e. very small) wheels.
    Frame colour is 'raw lacquer' (grey) on which the frame welds show up very distinctively as a gold colour.
    FRAME NUMBER (stamped on metal plate of frame beside bottom bracket): 0903 11046

It's the six speed version (3 speed hub X 2 sprockets)
    Extra long seat-post
    Dynamo hub on front wheel
    Silver coloured / aluminium pannier frame on the back
    Black plastic mount on front of frame for holding bag.
    Under the saddle there’s a black plastic fitting (to attach small Ortileb bag).
    Silver front and rear mudguards
    Schwalbe Marathon tyres (and with white ‘skull’ valve caps)

Very few of this Brompton frame type in the country. Of enormous sentimental value.

Thanks for your help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's damien o'tuama's one, yeah?

it is yeah... spreading the word...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Just posting the picture so people don't have to click through and can see and remember the grey bike with gold welds:

406167.jpg

• Advertisement

fair play...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Grey Trek Soho stolen on 16th Jan in Rathmines, from the front of the Polonez shop:

406729.jpg

Quite distinctive high-end hybrid: Alfine hub, Gates belt drive, rubberized trim on the top tube. Serial number available via PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

My friend Phil had 3 bikes stolen on Friday night from his house in the Dublin 12 area. Fairly rare/unique bikes that would be easy to spot:

Rocky Mountain Vertex:
    407119.jpg

Vitus Escape VRX (The brown stripes are really bright orange, just the photo):
    407122.jpeg

Ridley X-Fire:
    407120.jpg

Who can they be fencing all these Drimnagh and Kimmage and Rathmines bikes to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Rowery

Hi,

I had my winter hack stolen from my shed between Sunday night and this morning, it's not worth much to anyone but me.

It's a 2009 Lapierre R-Lite 400 FDJ colour scheme, so looks like the link below but the frame only.

It has a 10 speed Veloce Groupset with a Cenataur Double Crankset, Selle Itallia Saddle, FSA Compact Handlebars and fulcrum racing 5 wheelset.

If you see it pop up anywhere can you please reply to this.

Thanks

https://www.google.ie/search?q=Lapierre+FDJ+400&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjqmNPP0-7RAhXCeSYKHbBCBbsQsAQIGg&biw=1067&bih=520&dpr=1.5#imgrc=u8ZO4NOMLZQKPM%3A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Stolen from where? Where's your shed located?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

beazee wrote: »
    Stolen from where? Where's your shed located?

I would presume in his back yard. That's where most sheds are in homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Rowery

Thanks for your response, there is a spate of burglaries in the Terenure area and that's where from, I really started this thread just that anyone who might see it pop up somewhere would let me know, these bikes are not sold with Campagnolo Groupsets so it is different in that regard.

The thefts seem to be organised, crossing a swathe of land from Terenure to Drimnagh. Surprising lack of success from the gardaí on these thefts, which have been going on for several months now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭BH2008

Hi all,
    Posting on behalf of my brother who had two bikes stolen from his shed in drimnagh, one is a Sintesi sedan built with new Tiagra and Mavic open sport rims, it should be fairly distinctive as it's a NOS frame with a new 2017 group set. The second is a Giant escape commuter bike. Pics attached. I'd appreciate a PM if you spot the Sintesi for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tonygal123

Hi,

I had my Giant Contend SL1 stolen today 15th Feb 2017 from second floor balcony of my apartment in Ashtown. I've only had it 3 months love it to bits. It saves me from the torture of driving the M50 to work! It's blue/black and I changed the Ginat tyres to Continental Gator tyres on front and back.

Not overly confident of getting it back but if anyone comes across it I would appreciate a response.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They climbed to a second floor balcony?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Thargor wrote: »
    They climbed to a second floor balcony?

I've heard it's not uncommon for the apartment above to literally fish bikes off of balcony's. I'm not saying that's what happened here but if they want it they'll get it.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I've heard it's not uncommon for the apartment above to literally fish bikes off of balcony's. I'm not saying that's what happened here but if they want it they'll get it.

The lesson is, if your bikes on a balcony, lock it to the structure of the balcony.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    this magnet is under 4 euro
    https://www.supermagnete.de/eng/block-magnets-neodymium/block-magnet-20mm-x-20mm-x-10mm-neodymium-n42-nickel-plated_Q-20-20-10-N#
    can lift 12kg, for a lighter more valuable bike the price is less...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Friend of mine had her bike fished from an overhead balcony. Gardai weren't very nice about it and didn't believe her story about it being stolen from the balcony. She had to wait two years until she was eligible for another bike to work scheme.

Effects wrote: »
    Friend of mine had her bike fished from an overhead balcony. Gardai weren't very nice about it and didn't believe her story about it being stolen from the balcony. She had to wait two years until she was eligible for another bike to work scheme.

It would be nice to attach a bunch of bungee cords to the bike so it would go so far and then ZOINGGGG!

Well, it wouldn't, but it's a funny image.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

A friend posted this on Instagram this morning.. what would you do?

IMG_2909.jpgfree pic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

rubadub wrote: »
    this magnet is under 4 euro
    https://www.supermagnete.de/eng/block-magnets-neodymium/block-magnet-20mm-x-20mm-x-10mm-neodymium-n42-nickel-plated_Q-20-20-10-N#
    can lift 12kg, for a lighter more valuable bike the price is less...

A lighter, less ferrous, more carbony bike? Stick to the regular hook, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

sparrowcar wrote: »
    A friend posted this on Instagram this morning.. what would you do?

Wait nearby. When anyone comes close to the bike, leap out, crack them in the noggin with a rock, and let out a triumphant primeval roar. Obviously.

Only then would I think to check the lock to see if my key still fitted in it and if I hadn't just left the thing there by mistake after a night out (14 years ago)

Also, I might consider that the bike is not exactly the rarest specimen and there is a vague possibility that it could be one of the hundreds of identical models that have been sold of that particular bike. The lack of any non-standard equipment on it might make positive identification tricky.

I would conclude by feasting on the goo inside the hapless passer-by's head.
    (It's the done thing in this kind of situation).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭josip

XqGuAYv.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Chuchote wrote: »
    It would be nice to attach a bunch of bungee cords to the bike so it would go so far and then ZOINGGGG!

Well, it wouldn't, but it's a funny image.

Look up twinztv on YouTube they do they then also fit airbag to seat and also take nuts out of wheels, cut bike frame in half sticky tape back..

Sit back and watch and cry laughing. Oh paint balling the sucker thief also hilarious.

Advertisement