Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Look up twinztv on YouTube they do they then also fit airbag to seat and also take nuts out of wheels, cut bike frame in half sticky tape back..

Sit back and watch and cry laughing. Oh paint balling the sucker thief also hilarious.

So, no goo feasting then? Might pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Effects wrote: »
    Friend of mine had her bike fished from an overhead balcony. Gardai weren't very nice about it and didn't believe her story about it being stolen from the balcony. She had to wait two years until she was eligible for another bike to work scheme.
    Just incase anybody reading that picks it up wrong, if your bike is stolen and the garda DO believe you and give you a report (like you might get for insurance) you are still not eligible for the bike to work scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tonygal123

Thargor wrote: »
    They climbed to a second floor balcony?

Ya. Gardai said they have seen it done before. They throw the bike off the balcony and then climb down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

sparrowcar wrote: »
    A friend posted this on Instagram this morning.. what would you do?

My bike was stolen from school back in the 80s, and I spotted it months later just about 1k from the local Garda station. A quick dash to the station, and a quick trip back in the squad car to find the lad still there with my bike, and no attempt to disguise it, even the same crappy transfers on the mudguards.

I got the bike back after a week or so, but never heard what happened to yer man.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My bike was stolen from school back in the 80s, and I spotted it months later just about 1k from the local Garda station. A quick dash to the station, and a quick trip back in the squad car to find the lad still there with my bike, and no attempt to disguise it, even the same crappy transfers on the mudguards.

I got the bike back after a week or so, but never heard what happened to yer man.

Still in prison I would guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

It's all good, the Notorious is on the case..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Might be worth keeping an eye on the garda twitter account or following up on a stolen bike report.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/stolen-bicycles-and-laptops-found-in-van-during-major-garda-checkpoint-35467135.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Should be taking bikes off people who can't prove they own it. Serious epidemic out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Bike found and given to guards.

http://www.adverts.ie/12394876

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Should be taking bikes off people who can't prove they own it. Serious epidemic out there.
    i can't prove i own any of my three bikes. one was recently bought secondhand, one was bought during the euro/punt changeover, and the third about a year after that, and those two receipts have been lost at some point in the four moves i've made since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 andym1978

check adverts for details

trek 4300 found
    (check adverts . ie)
    dropped into rathmines garda station

check adverts . ie
    dropped into rathmines garda station

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭laura1990

Hi Guys,
    Hope you don't mind this but I was advised to share on here, My mountain Bike was robbed from the back of my car in the Ringends / Grand Canal Dock area a few days ago.

Its a Boardman Team, Full Suspension , Older model so it has the 26" Wheels.
    Its not a very common bike and has a few bits on it that aren't stock,and a few marks too - so it would be quite easy for me to identify it.

I'd appreciate it if anybody see's the above for sale, if you could comment here. I've shared on Facebook, filed a report with the Gardai, and am keeping an eye on Done Deal and Adverts etc.

Pictures of bike below -

Thanks,
    Laura

16807132_1521938857819196_1751225007237796529_n_zpsqunbdbgq.jpg

13001080_1246167718729646_2554534445057427801_n_zpspckm1kjw.jpg

16864056_1521938951152520_2477079949114727702_n_zpst7ifk7tf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Boardman Aluminium 58cm
    As photographed

Taken from offices on Harts corner Glasnevin in the last couple of hours

Boardman9.jpg

Workmates Giant Hybrid (Large Grey) also taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

i can't prove i own any of my three bikes. one was recently bought secondhand, one was bought during the euro/punt changeover, and the third about a year after that, and those two receipts have been lost at some point in the four moves i've made since.

It's well worth taking a photo of receipts for any important spend and keeping them in a folder. Do I do that? Well… (uncomfortable shuffle)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ni_bheolain

Hi all,

My husband's bike was stolen last Tuesday (14.03.2017) from outside the train station at Hazelhatch and Celbridge. It's a black and red frame, make is 'Specialized', model is 'Allez'.

He generally gets off the train and cycles to work in Leixlip, but as fate would have it, the chain was playing up, so his options were to walk the bike 5km on narrow, windy roads in lashing rain, or to lock it up there and get the bus.

He locked it to a fence with a Trelock lock at about 6.30 in the morning and when he returned at 16.30 it was gone. He's kicking himself, as he realises the split-second decision may not have been the wisest.

We've reported it to the Gardaí but not very hopeful. Posting this here in case anyone hears/sees anything. Any help much appreciated. (Also, not sure whether this is the 'correct' forum - please advise if not, and I'll move it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Hi all,

My husband's bike was stolen last Tuesday (14.03.2017) from outside the train station at Hazelhatch and Celbridge. It's a black and red frame, make is 'Specialized', model is 'Allez'.

He generally gets off the train and cycles to work in Leixlip, but as fate would have it, the chain was playing up, so his options were to walk the bike 5km on narrow, windy roads in lashing rain, or to lock it up there and get the bus.

He locked it to a fence with a Trelock lock at about 6.30 in the morning and when he returned at 16.30 it was gone. He's kicking himself, as he realises the split-second decision may not have been the wisest.

We've reported it to the Gardaí but not very hopeful. Posting this here in case anyone hears/sees anything. Any help much appreciated. (Also, not sure whether this is the 'correct' forum - please advise if not, and I'll move it.)
    You could keep an eye out in adverts.ie and donedeal. You frequently see people 'selling a bike for a friend' there.

I did once get a bike back after reporting it to the police, so you never know.

The rail stations are being targeted at this point. Even stations that were traditionally safe aren't any more. Neglect by CIE has really encouraged the problem.

Get a really good lock like a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit.

The most encouraging thing I can say is that you should have no trouble picking up a good Spezialized bike for €300 on adverts.ie.

• Advertisement

You mention he locked out to a fence. Did he ask in the station if they'd seen anything? Some places don't like bikes locked to their fences and cut them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

My friends ridgeback advance 5 in black stolen in Terenure as he was unlocking his gate on Thursday night if anyone sees one going anywhere. Sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

IMG_20161225_084143.jpg

My wife's christmas pressie bike stolen today from the Dept of Ed in Dublin City Centre.

It's a distinctive colour I suppose... Anyway.... we'd like it back :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

@fat bloke, I work near enough there, so I'll keep an eye out. Unfortunately anyone can just walk into the Dept of Ed grounds I think and surrounding areas have some people who wouldn't think twice about nicking stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

My friends ridgeback advance 5 in black stolen in Terenure as he was unlocking his gate on Thursday night if anyone sees one going anywhere. Sickening

Again, Terenure. Are the Gardaí doing anything to catch what's obviously a gang stealing bikes in Terenure, Crumlin, Kimmage and Harold's Cross?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Weepsie wrote: »
    @fat bloke, I work near enough there, so I'll keep an eye out. Unfortunately anyone can just walk into the Dept of Ed grounds I think and surrounding areas have some people who wouldn't think twice about nicking stuff

Correct Weepsie, gates are open to the public from 9 - 5 , there is a Security guard on the grounds 24hrs a day as well as cameras all over the place, but some folk are just brazen enough to chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

How much was the lock ?
    fat bloke wrote: »

My wife's christmas pressie bike stolen today from the Dept of Ed in Dublin City Centre.

How much was the lock ?

What difference does that make now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

fat bloke wrote: »
    IMG_20161225_084143.jpg

I'm surprised you've no bikeshed. We have a lockable one in Dept of Health.

The only way anyone can get it is if some plonker leaves it open
    Something for her union to kick up about:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

As a matter if interest, has anyone any idea, or is there any data, on how often bikes are successfully reunited with their owners? What kinds of recover rates do the Gardai enjoy? Not that you could place much store in official numbers in the current climate perhaps...

My gut would have me believe it's on a par with pots of gold at then end of rainbows, but... maybe I'm too cynical?

Advertisement