Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Buy the best locks you can afford and fit at least 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,271 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rubadub wrote: »
    If there were no locks maybe it was taken away in a van to get the locks off later. I see many bikes with excellent locks but locked to flimsy poles or similar.

That was my first guess too. If the barrier was still cut the locks are likely still on the bike to be taken off at their leisure.

Is there much of a market for stolen bikes?
    I know in places where bikes are almost disposable, people will buy stolen boneshaker for peanuts and ride it about until it breaks or is stolen. But, what happens to these $1000+ bikes stolen in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mellor wrote: »
    That was my first guess too. If the barrier was still cut the locks are likely still on the bike to be taken off at their leisure.

I know in places where bikes are almost disposable, people will buy stolen boneshaker for peanuts and ride it about until it breaks or is stolen. But, what happens to these $1000+ bikes stolen in dublin?

There is a market for them, they sell on adverts, gum tree, Facebook, donedeal.

Handy money whether they get €50 or €1000 its all pure profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Hi all

I went to Gardai and reported my bike stolen in Drogheda.

I dug out the receipt but Seriel not on it. Eurocycles said they don't have it.

Have I totally messed up by not recording it myself? Feeling very panicked about this now.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Hi all

I went to Gardai and reported my bike stolen in Drogheda.

I dug out the receipt but Seriel not on it. Eurocycles said they don't have it.

Have I totally messed up by not recording it myself? Feeling very panicked about this now.

Thanks

Why the panic? Do you think the guards are going to find it for you?

• Advertisement

Why the panic? Do you think the guards are going to find it for you?

They might, got an unexpected call from the Drogheda station a couple years ago to say they had my partners Trek bike, recovered along with a few others and tools etc during a raid on a house on an unrelated matter.

OP what kind of bike? Any distinguishing features / marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

They might, got an unexpected call from the Drogheda station a couple years ago to say they had my partners Trek bike, recovered along with a few others and tools etc during a raid on a house on an unrelated matter.

Stolen:  Wedneday 8th November - NORTH ROAD , DROGHEDA , Co. Louth

Distinguishing  marks -  cross bar is heavily marked with black distortion from the Kryptonite lock rubbing against.  

432940.jpg

OP you've probably made it more difficult for them to link any recovered bike to yourself without the serial number as these things can be recovered months if not years after the event. Keep an eye on their Twitter account they usually post a link to recovered and unclaimed bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

I posted above the picture of it.. Scott Sub Sport 40

Crossbar heavily marked with black smudges from the NY Krypto lock rubbing against it. Back carrier missing elastic as it broke..

Eeeugh..wasting my time but you can live in hope. And to the other poster wondering if I think I will get it back? Of course I dont, I'm distraught about it, I'm not thinking clearly. But if it ever was found I would be gutted not to be able to reclaim it because I did not have the seriel number.

Maybe I'm not thinking clearly but let me sort it out in my head a bit.. Thanks for your "help".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Having the serial number would help if it was recovered but more than likely, if you were to see it in somebody else's possession, you could prove ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭t8010789

I had two Lapierre shaper 300 2012 models stolen from our second floor apartment balcony. I live in Rathborne, Ashtown, Dublin 15. They were taken between thurs evening (9th) and Friday (10th) 7am. Will keep checking all the usual websites in case they show up. Reported to Cabra Garda station with serial numbers. Stock bike pics attached. The black one has a second crossbar that takes a wee ride child bike seat. Also attached is the photo of the balconies they/he/she scaled, look closely and you can see the muddy footprints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭t8010789

The balcony front they climbed up

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mellor wrote: »
    The story I often hear is that they many are all bundled into containers and shipped off to eastern europe and sold on from there, distancing themselves from serial numbers etc.

Of course some are stolen by casual scum who have nicked a portable angle grinder from lidl (which should need a licence or some sort of restriction IMO). But there are definite stories of vans going around with more professional thieves.

The buyers are as bad as the thieves, esp. if the selling price is obvious. There could be some official transfer thing in place, in conjunction with the gardai or something, sellers supplying original receipts, shops keeping proper records -over and above what shops selling other items do. I can think of no other item I own which is of such great threat/likliehood of being stolen, they should be treated very differently, and it follows that so should the repercussions for theives, but they actually appear to be less!?!:mad:

The government is "losing" millions with this bike to work scheme, so they obviously think encouraging cycling is worth millions to the economy -but are doing absolutely fcuk all about one of the biggest deterrents to taking up & continuation of cycling -really confuses me, seems so obvious that they need to do something.

There is a market for them, they sell on adverts, gum tree, Facebook, donedeal.

Handy money whether they get €50 or €1000 its all pure profit.
    Ones properly locked will require better tools. If I was a thief I would not risk stealing an item which costed 1-8k only to sell it for 50euro. I would expect/hope that the sentence for stealing say a 3K bike would be the same as stealing a 3k motorbike/car/jewelry -regardless if I am only selling it on for 50euro. Unfortunately as I have said before I still think some gardai/judges do view this as "schoolyard theft".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Just had my bike stolen from the bike rack at the entrance to Dundrum Town Centre accross the road from the Balally Luas , a 20 year old giant hybrid but my 20 year old giant, sickening feeling to see it gone even if its worthless. it was parked next to one of those blue garda bike with the security warning on them. Any point in reporting this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

bennyc wrote: »
    Just had my bike stolen from the bike rack at the entrance to Dundrum Town Centre accross the road from the Balally Luas , a 20 year old giant hybrid but my 20 year old giant, sickening feeling to see it gone even if its worthless. it was parked next to one of those blue garda bike with the security warning on them. Any point in reporting this ?

sorry to hear, worth reporting to both gardai and town centre, if i go to dundrum i usually use parking on side enterance or if going for while the bike rack inside the car park which u can enter from by pass road.

Out of interest what kind of lock did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

manafana wrote: »
    sorry to hear, worth reporting to both gardai and town centre, if i go to dundrum i usually use parking on side enterance or if going for while the bike rack inside the car park which u can enter from by pass road.

Out of interest what kind of lock did you use?

The lock was a cable one. Not the strongest in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Bit of good news...

Colleague had her bike stolen in Dublin 2 on Friday afternoon. Spotted it on Adverts on Wednesday for sale in Longford!

Arranged to meet the seller. Contacted Longford Gardai who were great and accompanied her posing as her dad.

Met to 'buy' the bike on Thursday morning. Thief arrested and search warrant granted. Loads of stolen bikes in his house and all for sale on adverts (premium ads too!)

One less scumbag hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Thats pretty cool news. Maybe my bikes:D was in his shed too

He currently has 7 bike ads on adverts.

he has sold 15 bikes under his current user name too

Not sure if I should link the ads in case it prejudices any court proceedings

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

hmm, there are only 3 premium ads in co Longford

hmm, there are only 3 premium ads in co Longford

Bingo!

Only 3 of the 7 bikes are premium ads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Seems to have very positive feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

As long as bikes can be bought and sold with no questions asked, there will always be scumbags like this turning a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

He currently has 7 bike ads on adverts.

he has sold 15 bikes under his current user name too

Not sure if I should link the ads in case it prejudices any court proceedings

Will those 15 bikes be returned to their owners? Details of buyers will be listed. Could be a good haul...

In other news, what a tick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Not the smartest operator is he?

Was it the white specialized?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Was it the white specialized?

Yes. Nice little bike and she was lost without it. Great result by her -she played him perfectly.

Yes. Nice little bike and she was lost without it. Great result by her -she played him perfectly.

It validates about a point of buying a bike with proof of ownership. A boards member was bidding on it also. Good catch though and great she got it back.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It validates about a point of buying a bike with proof of ownership. A boards member was bidding on it also. Good catch though and great she got it back.

Yep, I think she actually found the person bidding on it on Instagram and contacted them to ask them to back off. The boards person couldn't have been more helpful apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Yep, I think she actually found the person bidding on it on Instagram and contacted them to ask them to back off. The boards person couldn't have been more helpful apparently.

Good to hear of a good news story in this vein, for a change. Safe to say the guy sounds like a bit of a (k)nob?

On a slightly related note, and also good news (IMHO at least), a couple of lads who seemed to be fencing stolen CRC stock a few years back were convicted and sentenced in recent days: http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/stolen-chainreactioncycles-stock/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭thebourke

i keep both of my bikes i the living room..i don;'t rish leaving them in the garden shed!

Advertisement