Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Saw this a month ago on Capel St, Dublin.
    In my opinion only more or less safe lock is orange kryptonite u lock or abus granite u lock, or maybe big ass chain with good padlock

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Saw this a month ago on Capel St, Dublin.
    In my opinion only more or less safe lock is orange kryptonite u lock or abus granite u lock, or maybe big ass chain with good padlock

I think the onguards are best value. For the same money as a orange kryptonite you should be able to get a better onguard.

But a the higher end I don't think OnGuard make a comparable lock to the kyrponite or abus. For u locks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I also think the color of the orange and yellow Kryptonites also gives a certain deterrent factor - you can spot them from a bit away so maybe thieves see immediately it is a decent lock and just move on

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

DYbkJQVXUAAlAh1.jpg

I could imagine a potential bike robbing scobie's brain melting when faced with that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I could imagine a potential bike robbing scobie's brain melting when faced with that :pac:

They would probably take the pole....

I’d take a bus before carrying 3 kryptonites

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pretty bad locking though, back wheel is not secure, which is typically more expensive than the front. Should have 1 on the backweel in the triangle section, how kryptonites are intended to be used. This could have gone onto the blue thing on the pole.

Second I would have put on the front wheel, going through the forks. This would keep it away from the ground too, in the photo it looks like it could be wheeled down lowering the lock and leaving it more open to bolt cutter attacks as they can use the ground for leverage.

3rd probably on the frame and going through the central thick part of the blue thing on the post. Doing it in a way to stop them being able to twist the bike, which can break open u locks.

It an be easier to cut through poles than than the locks, so go for the strongest part.

Also most would advise against 3 locks of the same type, they might not have tools suited to all types.

For the same money they might have got a NY kryptonite and cable that would have got both wheels.
    JayZeus wrote: »
    I’d take a bus before carrying 3 kryptonites
    That is another advantage of an E bike. I can carry 7-8kg of locks not a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Oscar_Drai

Hi,

Almost too sad to post this. My road bike with which I have ridden around many places in Ireland has been stolen this evening 22nd March around 6PM in the parking of the Aldi in East Wall. Already reported it to the Garda. The bike was locked to the bike rack by the doors inside Aldi's parking, beware of it when leaving your bike there.

This is what my bike looks like:
    MjIk1qL.jpg

It has black Continental tyres on now. It's not a common model in Ireland as I have never seen one like mine and I have been to several races & charity cycles for the past 3-4 years. If anybody spots a bike like this or sees one being sold in adverts or donedeal, please drop me a message, I'd really really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    O.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Re Red Kellys

I've previously seen local youths from East Wall with bikes looking like they've freshly been stolen from Aldi. I'd contemplate spending Friday evening sitting in a car near the takeaway in Church Road to see if anybody rides by on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If anyones missing a blue Carerra MTB in Bray I know where it is.

Anybody missing a bright green mountain bike from Dublin 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rwm1986

Thargor wrote: »
    If anyones missing a blue Carerra MTB in Bray I know where it is.
    Hi,
    I had a blue and black carrera zelos stolen in january from stepaside so not sure if it made it to bray! Has anyone claimed it or do u have a pic? Mine had gatorskin tyres which would make it recognisable.
    Thanks, Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cant remember the name and Im away for Easter now but I dont think its Zelos, they're not Gatorskins either, its a fat continental on the back and a thinner 26" on the front, disk brake on the back aswell. Ill check on Monday and pm you if its a Zelos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was at the dublin cycling campaign meeting tonight - they had two gardai based out of pearse street giving a talk on bike theft.

interesting to note - the percentage of people reporting stolen bikes who were able to supply a serial number was 11%.

also interesting to note - they advised that if you don't have one already, take a photo of yourself with your bike. it's not definitive proof of ownership but helps remove a lot of 'reasonable doubt'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was at the dublin cycling campaign meeting tonight - they had two gardai based out of pearse street giving a talk on bike theft.

interesting to note - the percentage of people reporting stolen bikes who were able to supply a serial number was 11%.

also interesting to note - they advised that if you don't have one already, take a photo of yourself with your bike. it's not definitive proof of ownership but helps remove a lot of 'reasonable doubt'.

Saw two ~15yo's locking their bikes to sheffield stands with crappy cable locks today. Shook my head and walked on, wish I'd gone over and warned them in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

We need the likes of the guys on YouTube twinztv and bait bikes.

Hilarious but also a lesson for would be thieves.

You never know if it's a genuine or bait bike.

I've seen quite a few thefts around the city.

These thieves have no fear and have absolutely no issue operating even in daylight with plenty passers by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Did the two Garda have anything to say on what efforts they are making to catch and prosecute thieves and where these bikes are disappearing to?

the question was asked about whether the bikes were being shipped abroad - they were reluctant to give any definitive answers as they had no firm data to stand over, but said many (most?) bikes were sold on very quickly, and mentioned a black market in stolen bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

and mentioned a black market in stolen bikes.

Like those crappy second hand bike yards, similar to the one near **********, quick sale to randomers on the street or a bigger, better organised black market for expensive bikes?

sorry Effects, no naming or suggesting any particular place is engaged in crime.

the garda was asked about involvement of any bike shops in the black market, and he was very cautious in his answer but (to my ears) was giving an obvious 'that's not a no' answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Sorry about that.

the garda was asked about involvement of any bike shops in the black market, and he was very cautious in his answer but (to my ears) was giving an obvious 'that's not a no' answer.

How many bike shops in Dublin still sell second hand bikes?

I was thinking would it be that difficult to film their inventory and check against recent thefts.

i suspect they'd need a warrant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

boombang wrote: »
    How many bike shops in Dublin still sell second hand bikes?

I was thinking would it be that difficult to film their inventory and check against recent thefts.

A few, many have copped onto the potential risk for them, so they take details such as identity, proof of address etc. So they have a fall back if the gardai sieze them, they can point them onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

happend to me once , they lifted the pole out the sneaky c*nts

iwillhtfu wrote: »

I posted these bikes as suspected stolen last month. Turns out I was wrong. In a sad twist both have actually now been stolen. Owners seem very nice. The yellow one is particularity distinctive on account of its small size.

IMG_20180309_140154.jpgimage hosting

IMG_20180309_140202.jpgscreen capture

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ciaranisn

So, my bike was stolen right outside cineworld as I was just going in to see infinity war with a cousin.
    It's grey and seemed like it was on it's way out. There is a bit of tear on it but I've managed it for a while. My cousin confirmed that I locked it. It wasn't a flimsy lock but it unbreakable. I asked security in cineworld if the security cameras were facing it and they said no.
    I plan on checking out the bike yard around the corner from cineworld but who knows.

• Advertisement

Too late for your but I wouldnt lock my bike anywhere near Cineworld/Parnell. Gone in 60s.

Advertisement