Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What's the point in fining them anyways ...

It's money gotten from thieving....

These scum bags should be at a minimum be tagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

What's the point in fining them anyways ...

It's money gotten from thieving....

These scum bags should be at a minimum be tagged.

Yeah, like cattle, by the f***ing ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Very encouraging news for up & coming thieves. Only fined a mere ~10% of the value of what you rob. No wonder its so common.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hurrache wrote: »
    ****ing judges live in their own bizzaro world. Had he walked by an open shed with an unlocked bike, once, and stole it, that would be opportunistic.

Coming back several times is premeditated and planned.

The line above reads out of context I think. Article clarifies that it was the "going back" that was opportunistic. As he that he was going back on a whim to see if there was a new bike to steal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Mellor wrote: »
    The line above reads out of context I think. Article clarifies that it was the "going back" that was opportunistic. As he that he was going back on a whim to see if there was a new bike to steal.

Surely going back is not opportunistic by definition. If he happened to be walking by there again and could see it, that is opportunistic, going back with the intention of taking another bike because their might be one is planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

CramCycle wrote: »
    Surely going back is not opportunistic by definition. If he happened to be walking by there again and could see it, that is opportunistic, going back with the intention of taking another bike because their might be one is planning.
    I'm not arguing the correct usage of opportunistic, I'm just pointing out what the judge actually said/meant.
    Having sat through the case I'm sure the judge is aware what this scrote was up to, misusing a word (or being misquoted in the paper) doesn't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

So how can bike theft be stopped? And don't shout "throw away the key", that doesn't work.
    Full employment is a start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not arguing the correct usage of opportunistic, I'm just pointing out what the judge actually said/meant.
    Having sat through the case I'm sure the judge is aware what this scrote was up to, misusing a word (or being misquoted in the paper) doesn't change that.

I got that you were not saying it, and what the judge meant, I was more voicing my disgust that the judge would even have the nerve to say it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Rechuchote wrote: »

After the first time I'd be locking the bikes in the shed with a bloody good lock,
    After the second time I'd stop using the shed!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You do know plenty of people in full employement still steal?
    There's plenty of good honest unemployed people :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

It's depressing reading how many bikes are reported stolen here.

First thing i would do is keep looking through adverts.ie and Facebook marketplace.

It's kind of obvious to me which users are selling stolen bikes as I was recently in the market for a second hand bike.

I had a front wheel stolen recently. My own fault for being too lazy to get the quick release changed to bolts though.

Has anyone here successfully gotten their bike back? I would love to set up a meet up with a guy from adverts.ie advertising a bike stolen from me. Surely someone had that situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So how can bike theft be stopped? And don't shout "throw away the key", that doesn't work.
    I think it would work. Bike theives will be reading that and know they will get off extremely lightly.

If he had broken into the same postoffice on 3 occassions and taken €3,000-4,000 would he have got a fine of €350? I doubt it. If he broke into a persons garage and stole 3 cars I wonder if it would have been so light.

I still get the impression it is treated like some sort of schoolyard crime, to be expected.

It would be good if certain items did get a different penalty, seeing as they are so commonly stolen and easy to get rid of I would like to see higher sentences. They would not even have to officially change the law, just make it widely known that they will be prosecuted to the fullest if caught. Like how some countries have extremely harsh laws on postal theft, I presume partly since it is quite easy to commit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

rubadub wrote: »
    I think it would work. Bike theives will be reading that and know they will get off extremely lightly.

If he had broken into the same postoffice on 3 occassions and taken €3,000-4,000 would he have got a fine of €350? I doubt it. If he broke into a persons garage and stole 3 cars I wonder if it would have been so light.

I still get the impression it is treated like some sort of schoolyard crime, to be expected.

It would be good if certain items did get a different penalty, seeing as they are so commonly stolen and easy to get rid of I would like to see higher sentences. They would not even have to officially change the law, just make it widely known that they will be prosecuted to the fullest if caught. Like how some countries have extremely harsh laws on postal theft, I presume partly since it is quite easy to commit.
    My bike is probably worth more than my car. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I got a letter from victim support about the attempted theft of my bike. The guy was charged, didn't turn up to court, was arrested on foot of a bench warrant then released with a new date and didn't turn up again, arrested on foot of a second bench warrant and held in custody for 3 days. He was then brought to court and fined €150 and has 180 days(!) to pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I got a letter from victim support about the attempted theft of my bike. The guy was charged, didn't turn up to court, was arrested on foot of a bench warrant then released with a new date and didn't turn up again, arrested on foot of a second bench warrant and held in custody for 3 days. He was then brought to court and fined €150 and has 180 days(!) to pay

Is it not a criminal offence to not turn up? Jesus H Christ, the amount of tax payers money wasted on even getting him to court???? And then he's fined that nominal fee????

I'd expect he's not paying for a solicitor either. :mad:

Meh, he got a bot of hardship out of it and at the time of arrest he was left in a bit of a state. He picked the wrong bike to lift that day and hopefully he'll think twice the next time

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Getting all the advertising sites to quote the serial number of the bike would be a great was to make it much harder to sell on the stolen bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Getting all the advertising sites to quote the serial number of the bike would be a great was to make it much harder to sell on the stolen bike.

That's a great idea, it'd make it very googleable. Bike stolen -> Garda googles the serial -> hey presto, there's your thief (or fence). Making a photo of said serial number mandatory too might help stop people just spoofing them to get around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wouldn't work. The Gardai have found 40fts full of stolen bikes before, most of em are exported. Only the small time lads put em back on Done deal. Some questioning at Dublin Port might help disrupt it.

p15574 wrote: »
    That's a great idea, it'd make it very googleable. Bike stolen -> Garda googles the serial -> hey presto, there's your thief (or fence). Making a photo of said serial number mandatory too might help stop people just spoofing them to get around this.

Be easy for somebody to just make up a random number and claim its the serial....most people wouldn't bother to even check it.

Unless you had a database that will verify the number as belonging to that make/motel etc such a system would be useless and open to awful abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cabaal wrote: »
    Be easy for somebody to just make up a random number and claim its the serial....most people wouldn't bother to even check it.
    that was my first thought - second thought was that making uploading a photo of the serial number mandatory, might help. but then you'd need staff to police it.

also, one major issue is that very few people when reporting stolen bikes know the serial number. 11%, according the gardai who work with stolen bikes in pearse street.

that was my first thought - second thought was that making uploading a photo of the serial number mandatory, might help. but then you'd need staff to police it.

also, one major issue is that very few people when reporting stolen bikes know the serial number. 11%, according the gardai who work with stolen bikes in pearse street.

I'd say it could even be lower then 11%,
    Got two bikes and don't know serial for either...must sort that.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

I'd say it could even be lower then 11%,
    Got two bikes and don't know serial for either...must sort that.

I bought a Cannondale last year from Cycle Superstore and they put the serial number was on the invoice. It was useful to have a paper record of it when the time came to report it stolen. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's a fücking farce that someone can steal a €1000+ bike and walk out of court with a €150 fine. These guys probably have a list of convictions as long as your arm, so another one is no punishment and the fine is no deterrent considering the bikes they're caught with (if indeed the bikes are recovered) are only a fraction of what they're stealing and selling on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

TychoCaine wrote: »
    I bought a Cannondale last year from Cycle Superstore and they put the serial number was on the invoice. It was useful to have a paper record of it when the time came to report it stolen. :(
    In support of the use of serial numbers; I remember a Customer saying that the piece of equipment he bought in our store which needed to be repaired was rubbish, should have lasted longer. I listed quietly and as I was on summer holiday with nothing to do dug out the old invoice books, found the receipt with the serial number and compared to the piece of equipment he brought it. serial numbers didn't match and it had been bought two decades before.
    He had either lent the equipment to someone who switched it or left it in to a repair shop who had switched it. Another piece of equipment was brought in and they wanted to trade it in to us for a newer piece of equipment. We checked the serial number and after speaking to the distributor we discovered it had been stolen in another part of the country.
    The anecdotes may be slightly off-topic but recording serial numbers really does help.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's a fücking farce that someone can steal a €1000+ bike and walk out of court with a €150 fine. These guys probably have a list of convictions as long as your arm, so another one is no punishment and the fine is no deterrent considering the bikes they're caught with (if indeed the bikes are recovered) are only a fraction of what they're stealing and selling on.

Not bike related, but a guy broke into my car. Fell asleep while rummaging through the car. Was caught by the Garda asleep in the car, so caught in the act.

Arrested and brought to the Garda station.

The Garda even told me that they know the guy very well, he'll be released in the morning and told to appear in court on X day but will not show up. So not to get my hopes up about any sort of conviction.

Never heard anything about it since.

Anybody missing this? A lad from a certain ethnic minority trying to sell it in Amiens Street.

Giant of some sort. I have his picture too if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

p15574 wrote: »
    Yes, photo would be important too - and you'd need the buyer to be ready to check that the photo matches the actual bike.
    ED E wrote: »
    Wouldn't work. The Gardai have found 40fts full of stolen bikes before, most of em are exported. Only the small time lads put em back on Done deal. Some questioning at Dublin Port might help disrupt it.

I'm not sure that anyone really knows how/where most of them go. Certainly, there are some organised groups exporting them, and this approach wouldn't really help this - but shutting down one sales channel would have a significant impact. It would make it less attractive, particularly for the more casual, opportunistic thief.

Dublin Port action would of course be a great idea too.

You'd need the photo of the SN with the SN in text format (so that it is searchable). You're right that lots of people don't have them, but there are ways to address this too - make it mandatory for BTW scheme purchases for the SN to be quoted on the invoice. Encourage bike shops to quote them on every invoice anyway.

As for staff at the advertisers to police it, the first step would be simple online validation rules to ensure that you can't submit an advert without the SN in text and image form - no ongoing staff needed for that.

They would have some staff already to deal with reports of bad adverts, so this would be an extension of that. In fairness, if they have a big problem in facilitating the selling of stolen goods (and I think they do), it really is there problem to solve. They can't be whinging that 'it's too hard' to stop facilitating crime like this.

They should also have some extra controls about 'busy' sellers. If you're selling more than say 5 bikes a year, it wouldn't be unreasonable about requiring extra ID controls, like passport and proof of address to be on file in case of Garda follow up.

Crowd-sourcing would help here too - there's enough people with a bit of common sense looking at these ads from time to time who would have the motivation to flag up dodgy ads for review.

Unless you had a database that will verify the number as belonging to that make/motel etc such a system would be useless and open to awful abuse.

The difficult bit would be persuading the buyer to check that the SN shown on the ad matches to the bike purchased in real life. Again, the advert sites would have a role in communicating this to buyers - fairly easy to do as part of their communications to buyers at the appropriate stage in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

loyatemu wrote: »
    As if that fine will ever be paid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Anyone have a hybrid bike stolen in the last few days in the glencullen/kilternan/ stepaside area of Dublin

Adult size

Advertisement