Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

So, do thieves cut the rack and carry the bikes kryptonite lock and all.

“Particularly in apartment blocks, the standard of racks is really poor,” he said. “It means even if you have a good lock, it is easy to steal the bike, because many racks are effectively useless. Even in some of the new-build developments, the standard of bike racks is really poor – it is an after-thought.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/scale-of-bicycle-theft-in-dublin-putting-people-off-cycling-1.3860235

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KOR101 wrote: »

There are stands at a major shopping center that can be disassembled with an allen key in about 15 seconds. I obviously won't be naming it.

Several years ago lads in a van went into UCD and took and entire toaster rack of bikes in one go. They'll do anything that makes them a bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They often loosen the stands bolts beforehand, worth checking are all bolts there and tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hey,

I know the chances of this turning up or me getting it back are near non exestiant but sure I couldn't not try.

My Trek Fuel Ex Mountain BIke was taken at some time today from my building. It was double locked and in a access restricted area. I am awaiting CCTV.

It was stolen from Donnybrook.

Until then I would appreciate if all you MTB heads could keep and eye out if shows up. Please share with your mates etc.

She has a few miles on the clock but still did that job, I'd like to get it back.

If you are on Twitter you might share the notice I have about it there also. HERE

Any help or leads greatly welcomed.

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

KOR101 wrote: »

“Particularly in apartment blocks, the standard of racks is really poor,” he said. “It means even if you have a good lock, it is easy to steal the bike, because many racks are effectively useless. Even in some of the new-build developments, the standard of bike racks is really poor – it is an after-thought.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/scale-of-bicycle-theft-in-dublin-putting-people-off-cycling-1.3860235

Yup this is what happened me. They cut the rack in the apartment block and took the lock with it.

Happened right under a new CCTV camera but the guards couldn't do anything as the CCTV footage , which the never viewed .....was apparently the wrong type of CCTV footage ..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

which the never viewed .....was apparently the wrong type of CCTV footage ..........
    That’s pretty common. Same thing happened to me when a truck hit my car outside my apartment.
    The video files are encoded with a particular codec that the cctv system plays but a PC without the program doesn’t. It’s not difficult to fix, but requires more than just clicking the file. Beyond the abilities of your average cop apparently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

three argon 18 bikes recovered in a haul lifted by the gardai, lest anyone is missing one or all of them:

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/racing-bikes-van-stolen-goods/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

three argon 18 bikes recovered in a haul lifted by the gardai, lest anyone is missing one or all of them:

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/racing-bikes-van-stolen-goods/

Looks like the owner is found. All three were robbed from the same place. Base2Race shared a post on Wednesday looking for the bikes and reporting them stolen from a customer

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

Looks like the owner is found. All three were robbed from the same place. Base2Race shared a post on Wednesday looking for the bikes and reporting them stolen from a customer

The owner found the bikes himself and told the Gardai where they were..
    And as usual.. The gaurds took the credit...
    found them in a parked van during routine checks... Thats all bull......

The gaurds do nothing about stolen bikes..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

noc231073 wrote: »
    The owner found the bikes himself and told the Gardai where they were..
    And as usual.. The gaurds took the credit...
    found them in a parked van during routine checks... Thats all bull......

The gaurds do nothing about stolen bikes..

Fairplay to the owner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Last Saturday I noticed a guy with a hoodie acting odd near bikes in the underground car park where I live. After I parked, I decided to over and check him out. He was gone but there was a cut lock where he was standing. I got into my car and decided to pursue him. There were two ways he could go but I got lucky. Hoodie was now down and he had no helmet. Nothing added up for the nice bike he was on so I got a photo of him and rang Garda. They said they would call over to look at it. No contact since. I left a note beside broken lock and so far no contact from owner. The bike and especially the lock look brand new. I am. Pretty certain this guy stole the bike but if the owner does not contact me, there is not a lot can be done. The bike is probably passed on by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Last Saturday I noticed a guy with a hoodie acting odd near bikes in the underground car park where I live. After I parked, I decided to over and check him out. He was gone but there was a cut lock where he was standing. I got into my car and decided to pursue him. There were two ways he could go but I got lucky. Hoodie was now down and he had no helmet. Nothing added up for the nice bike he was on so I got a photo of him and rang Garda. They said they would call over to look at it. No contact since. I left a note beside broken lock and so far no contact from owner. The bike and especially the lock look brand new. I am. Pretty certain this guy stole the bike but if the owner does not contact me, there is not a lot can be done. The bike is probably passed on by now.

Need more like you... Well done...

Maybe stick up the photo in the cage where bike was taken from, block face just in case it's not been robbed then at least you may find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Bike stolen on Charlemont Street yesterday

Was a month old, U-Locked, helmet also taken so naturally not too happy, but c'est la vie.

A few learnings from it -
    (i) I asked around in the shops - there is a key cutter across the road and he said the Gardai are at that particular bike stand once or twice a week due to stolen bikes; as in its a real black spot apparently.

(ii) One thing that confused me was that the lock was also gone. Its the fourth bike I've had stolen, including two last year, but the first time that there was absolutely no sign anything had happened......is this unusual?

(iii) From a personal point of view, I am going nuclear on anti-theft with the next bike I get. Every commercial device I can get and otherwise, as its beyond just the cost of it at this stage; its a curiosity as to how can you stop your bike being stolen.

(iv) I couldnt help noticing it was a corner where couriers congregated, both moped and bike. I dont want to attribute blame, but still couldnt help noticing this. Given that its also apparently a blackspot.

One of the bikes I had stolen last year was a good one, and I scoured DoneDeal and Adverts for months and it never showed up. Its a bit of a mystery to me as to where all the stolen bikes - of which there are thousands and thousands - are going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    (ii) One thing that confused me was that the lock was also gone. Its the fourth bike I've had stolen, including two last year, but the first time that there was absolutely no sign anything had happened......is this unusual?
    Quite often if the lock is gone it's because it's still attached to the bike. Some bike stands can just be unbolted from the ground and the lock just slides out. They'll take the bike somewhere out of sight before taking an angle grinder to the lock to remove it. Make sure that whatever you lock it to is concreted into the ground and not just held in place with nuts & bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anywhere on the luas line is a no go tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Bike stolen on Charlemont Street yesterday

Was a month old, U-Locked, helmet also taken so naturally not too happy, but c'est la vie.

A few learnings from it -
    (i) I asked around in the shops - there is a key cutter across the road and he said the Gardai are at that particular bike stand once or twice a week due to stolen bikes; as in its a real black spot apparently.

(iii) From a personal point of view, I am going nuclear on anti-theft with the next bike I get. Every commercial device I can get and otherwise, as its beyond just the cost of it at this stage; its a curiosity as to how can you stop your bike being stolen.

(iv) I couldnt help noticing it was a corner where couriers congregated, both moped and bike. I dont want to attribute blame, but still couldnt help noticing this. Given that its also apparently a blackspot.

One of the bikes I had stolen last year was a good one, and I scoured DoneDeal and Adverts for months and it never showed up. Its a bit of a mystery to me as to where all the stolen bikes - of which there are thousands and thousands - are going to.

Right 1st you need to up your game....
    2nd you need more then one lock.

You need to make it as difficult as possible so 2 or 3 locks is needed.

Lock in busy places if possible.

Well lit also.

I've seen bikes robbed in daylight in the centre with plenty around so a lot is to with how easy it is to take.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Well played Revenue, fixed my tax issues, calculated refund, paid it into my spouses account :( No new bike for me

You win this round

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would ring them up and deny having received the money; an 'it's your fault if you paid it to the wrong account' approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

i would ring them up and deny having received the money; an 'it's your fault if you paid it to the wrong account' approach.

Its generally a setting on your mypaye portal, so it would have been up to the user to allocate the bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

My dark grey Boardman MTX 8.8 hybrid was stolen from Kilcock train station on Friday. Was locked in between railings and lock was gone as well. After reading here I will check if there was a way of unscrewing the railing once I get off train.

Edit: possible to unscrew railing alright I’d say although they screwed it back on again after it seems. Dammit.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Anyone have or know anyone who has had a Cervelo P2 knicked? Gardai at Kilmainham took possession of one today. Was out at the station and the lads had just taken it in from a scummer on the road.

rather coincidentally, that's the friend of mine who got his bike back a year or two ago, after i put a notice up about it in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Anyone know of a Kona 20 speed hybrid that's been stolen?
    Alloy frame, top bar is a kind of square/triangular section, and the bike is a kind of aquanmarine blue.
    At a local Sunday market today, very unlikely looking lad selling it...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Stolen from Kimmage on Saturday night, 14th September: a Giant Dash 2014 ladies' hybrid, charcoal grey with a pink trim.

The lock on the barna shed held up well -- taking the screws out got them nowhere. Eventually they crowbarred the whole stave off. There were three bikes inside, one locked to a wheelbarrow, one to a stepladder and one to a manual lawnmower. They took the latter out and managed to tear the mower apart enough to separate the bike. Amongst the annoyance and anger, I'm slightly glad that some basic security precautions saved two other bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Are there ever many good news / recovery stories from posts on this thread as a matter of interest?

We never saw hide nor hair of the wife's bike again, wherever it ended up (2 and a half years ago now).

fat bloke wrote: »
    IMG_20161225_084143.jpg

My wife's christmas pressie bike stolen today from the Dept of Ed in Dublin City Centre.

It's a distinctive colour I suppose... Anyway.... we'd like it back :(

fat bloke wrote: »
    Are there ever many good news / recovery stories from posts on this thread as a matter of interest?
    not many that i know of, but i was part of one of the few happy endings. i posted about a friend's stolen bike here; a day or two later, someone saw it for sale and (IIRC) figured it sounded too good to be true, and came on here to see if it had been posted about.
    my friend got his bike back - he went along with the gardai to the arrest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I was lucky to get mine back. e-bike stolen from the garden shed. I'd removed the battery and computer so once the thieves realized how hard it was to cycle, they abandoned it in bushes not too from my home and it was recovered by AGS

Advertisement